What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Angela K,

My thoughts exactly.
I fear more people might be tempted to buy the colorized versions, especially as people are saying that they look good. My experience of colorized films etc is that they look awful-like someone has gone mad with a kid's colouring set!
Hopefully we will be proved wrong and people will want to buy the show as it was meant to be seen, in black and white and then enjoy the colour episodes from season 3 onwards.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I agree :)

Personally the thought of the b & w episodes colorized makes me shudder. I think the black and white makes it more special, and colorizing those seasons makes it like any other show :frowning:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I think for s.2 they'll still release both b&w and colorized as it just makes sense to.

The black and white is the original and will always be more classic looking...it's just fun to see what they would've looked like in color.

Now, on another BW note, TV Land is erecting a bronze statue of Samantha in Salem!!! This will be happening in June to coincide with the movie which also coincides with the release of the first season.

You can read more about it here.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Now, I know you're kidding, but it's funny -- before we got our color TV set, we watched all the color shows in black and white.

We sat and watched "The Wizard of Oz" in black and white every year -- and when it changed to color, it didn't. What's odd is we didn't care -- at the time!

Now I wouldn't stand for it. I couldn't imagine watching a DVD of "The Wizard of Oz" and miss all that incredible color.

I think everything should be left alone -- leave it the way it was. If you watch a B&W show in color, or a color show in B&W, you're not seeing the real thing. Would you go to an art museum and want to see the paintings in black and white? It wouldn't even occur to you. Well, it's just as silly to want to see a B&W TV show in color, if you ask me (or vice versa, but I know Mark was kidding.)

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Joe well said, that's the way I feel about it too, if it's not broke, don't fix it :wink:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I also agree with Joe and Angela on this one. I'll add a "Texas" flavor to Angela's quote:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

I'm not intending to impede progress (colorizing old B/W series) so it's :cool: that the Bewitched series will be available (at least S1) in both formats. Everyone's :) that way, right? And if the sales #'s for the color sets persuade the studio to release the other B/W season in color only, then I'd get that one too but I wouldn't prefer it that way :b

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Having seen the (at least preliminary) artwork for the S1 sets at TV Shows on DVD, I must say thank goodness it's not the abysmal cover art used on the Columbia House tapes. That was so bad it hurt my feelings!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
What are these "extras and bloopers" that are supposed to be included in the season 1 set? I didn't know any bloopers existed!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

So far I know that the extras are going to include filmographies of the cast. I know that Herbie J Pilato, author of Bewitched Forever, recorded something for the DVDs.

As for the bloopers, he said over at Harpies Bizarre, "According to what Dick Sargent revealed to me, Elizabeth was "not at all amused" that he would sporadically showcase the blooper reel on-screen and around town."

I'm hoping the bloopers, though, are something that has just been hidden for a long time and comes from the actual first season.

All in all though, I'M JUST SO EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE!!!:D :D :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

That's the main thing :emoji_thumbsup: Extras and Bloopers are cool but the DVD's are what we're waiting for :) This is one series that was a sure-buy for me long before any hint of release :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm interested in the Color vs B&W issue with the S1 release. Maybe we can get a poll going to see which version sells better. (I'm one of the B&W voters myself ;) )

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I was under the impression that the blooper and gag reel was from this summer's feature film, added to promote it. If it is indeed from the original series, that's great.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Sony now has the DVDs up for preorder on their site and the extras are listed as for the black and white set:

DVD FEATURES

• Fullscreen Presentation
• Language: English
• Featurettes: History of Bewitched
• Clip Compilation
• Filmograhpies
• Sneak Peek at Bewitched: The Movie

For the colorized set:

DVD FEATURES

• Full screen Presentation
• Languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese
• Subtitles: Spanish, Chinese,Thai, Portuguese
• Featurettes: History of Bewitched
• Clip Compilation
• Filmograhpies
• Sneak Peek at Bewitched: The Movie

I wonder where the blooper reel got to? They also do not have the cover art showing which I hope means they are retooling to have a more First Season Looking Samantha on the cover.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Courtesy of TSoD, full size cover art:

I wonder if the discs will come in slim cases like Seinfeld did? I sure hope so.

I really hope though, that they change the pictures to correspond with the season. That picture of Endora is also from Season Four.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
That's surprising to me, given how all the pics of EM on the Japanese DVDs were from the appropriate seasons, which I thought was very cool. Oh well. As long as there coming out, I'm happy.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Another thing I'm wondering is if the episodes might possibly have the original sponsor openings. I LOVE watching the episodes with the original openings and endings.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
I will be picking up the B&W set. No colorized abomination for me. I hope Sony is committed to releasing the second season in both versions as well and not just going with whichever sells best for the first (which I fear will be the colorized format).

I'm a little disappointed with the text at the bottom of both covers. Instead of "In Black & White" it should read "In the Original Black & White" and "In Color" should be "Colorized." I bet places like Walmart will carry the latter version only and young people, not knowing the history of the show, won't know that "In Color" means the show has been altered from its original form. Using "Colorized" would make that clear.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I'll bet most young people (who usually find B&W to be "boring") really won't care, as long as it's in color. As for me, it's a good thing they're offering the first season in B&W, because if it was only offered colorized, they wouldn't be getting my mula. :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Quote"
"Another thing I'm wondering is if the episodes might possibly have the original sponsor openings. I LOVE watching the episodes with the original openings and endings."
For those also interested here are a few of those openings from the Bewitched and Elizabeth Montgomery site
http://www.bewitched.net/music.htm
In one of these openings instead of Samantha holding a frying pan which smokes to reveal Endora's credit
she is holding a tea kettle.

That would be great but I doubt it. They would have to be colorized. As the colorized versions have already been seen on TV with out original sponsor openings, I don't think they would redo for DVD. They would make a great extra like they did with the I Love Lucy sets. However it would probably be listed as an extra and it has not been listed as such so far.

"I'm a little disappointed with the text at the bottom of both covers. Instead of "In Black & White" it should read "In the Original Black & White" and "In Color" should be "Colorized." I bet places like Walmart will carry the latter version only and young people, not knowing the history of the show, won't know that "In Color" means the show has been altered from its original form. Using "Colorized" would make that clear. "

I was thinking the same thing. I would guess there will be some wording about it colorized on the back cover. Does copywrite law apply to TV shows as it does to movies where they have to disclosed you are watching an altered version of a work? I guess not or else all shows that are edited for syndication would have to have that warning. Not a bad idea .

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Maybe the black and white sets would have them which would be an added incentive to buy that set (if you are of the colorized only persuasion). Hopefully they will be a very nice surprise once we start getting the sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks