What's new

Better Call Saul: Season Six (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Speculation on another site...

Considering the amount of coverage the topic of cancer received in the episode, perhaps Gene discovered during the phone call that Kim has been diagnosed with cancer and his return to the 'life' was undertaken to support her financially. Might be a bit of a stretch, but there certainly was some focus on that malady in the show Monday evening.

- Walter.

Regarding the theme of cancer, one interpretation I had for the end scene was that Gene is pulling a Quint here. Once he found out the guy had cancer, he “became” Walter to Gene. This makes the context of the flashbacks make more sense to me.
And not unlike how Quint ended up, the shot of the cop car pulling up to the garage in the preview suggests that Gene many have went too far.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the theme of cancer, one interpretation I had for the end scene was that Gene is pulling a Quint here. Once he found out the guy had cancer, he “became” Walter to Gene. This makes the context of the flashbacks make more sense to me.

I have to admit that I initially thought that Gene would cut the mark some slack based on his initial reaction at the bar when he discovered the guy had cancer. So when Buddy was the one who displayed some empathy and bailed I was caught off guard when Gene went so hard at Buddy and was all in on taking the mark.

Certainly curious as to what that final shot portends.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I initially thought that Gene would cut the mark some slack based on his initial reaction at the bar when he discovered the guy had cancer. So when Buddy was the one who displayed some empathy and bailed I was caught off guard when Gene went so hard at Buddy and was all in on taking the mark.
Yeah, certainly Jimmy and probably even Saul (depending on the situation) would have backed off when they found out the guy had cancer.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Great episode! Though I hope they either circle back and show us that phone convo or at least imply enough later and not keep anything in the dark or “left up to interpretation” in the end. I hate it when shows or movies do crap like that. You’re the story tellers, tell us the story!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Meh. With just 3 episodes left really not interested in yet more "Gene" scheming.

Wasn't even all that into the Walt/Jesse stuff. As cool as it was to see them I don't really feel like any of it filled in any gaps and it was just kind of crowbarred in.

The best part of the episode was Mike telling Saul to steer clear of the amateur chemistry teacher.

So Kim is dead, right?

Yeah, I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I agree with this.

The past two episodes, outside of the inclusion of Carol Burnett, have been a letdown.

The story really hasn't advanced. Two episodes are filled with Gene schemes.

The inclusion of Walt and Jesse just seems unnecessary, not as comical as the two played it out, and (as Scott has stated) comes across as just being crowbarred in for the sake of nostalgia. Even the makeup on Jimmy to make him look younger is very apparent and distracting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Great and emotional episode! Loved the big moment of
Kim and Jesse smoking together.
Total fan service, but I’m not complaining!
Kim inadvertently helped put Saul on his road to ruin by putting them together.

Also, after he was at least considering strangling an old lady, I'm not so sure about that redemption for Saul anymore.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Random musings...

Yo!

The mighty Saul Goodman outed by an octogenarian. Oh the indignity. :)

The fish taco bit felt like a reference to something in Breaking Bad, but I couldn't say for certain. (?)

Sort of an interesting reversal of responses with Kim being emotional when signing the papers at Saul's office and years later Gene / Jimmy getting emotional during the phone call from the pay phone.

Definitely a 'fill in the blanks' kind of episode and I am fine with that.

- Walter.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
A random thought I meant to post earlier; Jimmy listing the people who were “in the ground”, Fring, Mike, and Lalo. But with Lalo he seemed to acknowledge that he still isn’t sure, understandable considering he was fooled once before. Lol.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Do yourself a favor and spend about 15 minutes with this recap. This guy is really, really good at dissecting each episode, and this one in particular really gives you some interesting insight in the storytelling process:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Another thought: Kim’s confession named Mike who is now being incriminated posthumously. As far as we know the authorities didn’t know he existed as part of Fring’s/Walt’s activities. His disappearance would have only affected his daughter in law and granddaughter. So will this be a big revelation to them if word trickles back to them? Or have I not remembered something from past episodes of either show and he was already implicated?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that Mike's daughter and grand daughter had no knowledge of his extra-curricular activities. I seriously doubt that the DA will move on Kim's affidavit without corroborating evidence which means they will continue to be unaware of Mike's dual life.

Took me a moment to put together the final shot of the episode. If I am reading this correctly the implication is that Gene was able to vacate Omaha and make it back to his old stomping grounds. Jimmy's Suzuki Esteem has seen better days.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At the end of Mike's story in Breaking Bad, the DEA was on Mike's trail and based on the feds uncovering all of Saul's companies and money, I'm sure they eventually connected Gus to Mike and seized every penny that he had made for his family. It's supposition but I think his family knows that Mike was involved with Gus' crime empire.

Took me a moment to put together the final shot of the episode. If I am reading this correctly the implication is that Gene was able to vacate Omaha and make it back to his old stomping grounds. Jimmy's Suzuki Esteem has seen better days.
In that commercial, he is muttering
the Hoover Max Pro "code" for Ed The Disappearer.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
All ready! 🥸

Attachments

• 99DD7116-E9F1-4E0D-B289-BDB3D70FFC6D.jpeg
    99DD7116-E9F1-4E0D-B289-BDB3D70FFC6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks