What's new

Best way to setup Pioneer HTZ-BD51 (1 Viewer)

jtc66

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Buechlein
I just purchased to htz-bd51 for use in my basement. How should I hook it up for use with my ps3? It has 2 hdmi ins, 1 optical in, and 1 hdmi out. It also has some componet/composite stuff that I probably won't use. What is the best setup for this system with a ps3? I have a 55" Samsung plasma that has optical out if it matters.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do the HDMI inputs take 5.1?If not, hook your PS3 via optical.Your manual, when you read it, will tell you if the HDMI does take 5.1.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just read your manual. HDMI inputs only take 2.0 sound.

Page 25, "note" 4...

"The player sends audio from the HDMI inputs to both the HDMI output and the internal speakers"

Another HTiB that sucks.

jtc66

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Buechlein
So what should I do? Optical or hdmi? I could do hdmi via the input and hdmi via the output right? Or should I do just optical?

jtc66

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Buechlein
Im guessing just do optical from ps3 to system and hdmi from ps3 to tv right?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The one good thing about this one, if you ever decide to buy some decent speakers, at least this one has push-ins, not a proprietary fitting. So you could hook up something else to make use of the 10-20wpc it coughs up.

And yes, I know it "says" 180(200 for the sub) watts.

But that is 4ohm and 10% distortion. An 8ohm with 1%(which is still way too much) rating is probably closer to 10 watts.

jtc66

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Buechlein
Do you know of any good speakers that would work preferably under $1000 but if I had to I'd go to $2000?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't even have to spend $500. The main issue here is the subwoofer, although you can buy one from any "car audio shop".

I'm going to "guess" that the included speakers are around 75db (in)efficient. They list nothing in the manual(not shocking). HTiB is given an :rolleyes: by pretty much everyone on any forum you find.

I would use the system as it is unboxed for a while. Then try a pair of BIC DV62 or Sony SSB1000. Those are @ $125 and $70 all the time. I will venture a guess either one will totally demolish the other three you still use that came with it. Then if you did replace all 5...then you'd have to look at subs that will work on 15-30 watts. Not impossible to find...but will take a few days...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And to clear up why HTiB speakers are the weak link. There are two "specs" that matter when choosing speakers.

1. Efficiency. I place a much greater emphasis here than on...
2. Ohm load.

Other people will consider Ohm load first. Either is correct.

Take two hypothetical speakers...with specs of...

Speaker A
4 ohm
94db efficiency

or
Speaker B
8ohm
87db efficiency

Which is easier for the amp to drive?

The correct answer is speaker A. Yes it is a lower ohm load. But it is 7db more efficient. So if both speakers are achieving a volume level of 100db...(105db is considered "reference volume" for the peaks in an action movie)
Speaker A uses 5 watts.
Speaker B uses 20.

jtc66

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Buechlein
Is there any specific subwoofer to look for when looking for it? Obviously one that would work with the HTiB, but I found the ssb1000 on eBay for 69.99 for a pair and want it to go along with it that would make it sound best.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just checked Sony. The Xplod subwoofer and the SSB1000 are rated at 87db. They match fine in efficiency. And I doubt the included speakers are any better than 80db.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
jtc66 said:
Do you know of any good speakers that would work preferably under $1000 but if I had to I'd go to $2000?
Am I missing something here? :)

With $1000-$2000 to spend on speakers why not put that Pioneer htib on CL and get a real receiver, speakers, subwoofer and bluray player. The Onkyo HT-9400 and any name brand bluray player should perform better then that Pioneer htib even with different speakers/subwoofer. But with up to $2000 to spend you can can get a much better setup then anything we've mentioned so far.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.htm

And if he decides to keep the htib couldn't he just buy a powered subwoofer with speaker-level inputs so if he does decide to upgrade the rest later on the sub is already there?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628

The 12" model is $20 more.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was hoping the "buy a real AVR" would be a realization he'd make...but.Are you, for some reason, beholden to this Pio HTiB?And to Gene's point about a "powered line-level" subwoofer. They rarely work(properly) when connected to HTiB.

jtc66

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Buechlein
I want the pioneer HTiB I got mostly because I thought it was a good HTiB for the price, and it came with the self standing tower speakers, I can't use wall mountable speakers because I have concrete walls where I am placing them in my basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks