What's new

Directors Best Contemporary Actress Tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll go with Holly Hunter and Winona Ryder (though I do agree with John on Keira).

Holly Hunter and Natalie Portman advance.

Back in a few...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Round 1 - Bracket 15

A tough one here...

Julianne Moore

Born in 1960, this classically beautiful actress first got noticed when she ran afoul of an evil nanny in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. She has since received four Oscar nominations and appeared in Vanya on 42nd Street, Safe, Far from Heaven, The Hours and The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio. Proved she was a redhead in Short Cuts.

vs.

Glenn Close

Born in 1947, this five-time Oscar nominee is one of Hollywood's most respected thespians. You can see her in The Big Chill, Fatal Attraction, Reversal of Fortune, Dangerous Liaisons and television's Sarah, Plain and Tall trilogy.

vs.

Sissy Spacek (wildcard)

Born in 1949, this petite lil' Texan had a memorable early role in Prime Cut. She then went on to star in Badlands, Carrie, Crimes of the Heart, In the Bedroom and The Straight Story. She won a Best Actress Oscar for her role in Coal Miner's Daughter. Almost had the role of Leia in Star Wars.

Round 1 - Bracket 16

More indie queen madness!

Parker Posey

Born in 1968, this appealing cosmopolitan actress has stuck mostly to obscure indie fare including Clockwatchers, The House of Yes and Henry Fool. Some of her more noticeable films have been Dazed and Confused, Best in Show and Josie and the Pussycats.

vs.

Jennifer Jason Leigh

Born in 1962, Vic Morrow's little girl has pretty much eschewed major Hollywood fare in favor of lower-profile films like Flesh & Blood, Miami Blues, The Hudsucker Proxy and Short Cuts. She had a memorable early role in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (though not so memorable as Phoebe Cates') and went on the rampage in Single White Female.

vs.

Chloe Sevigny (wildcard)

Born in 1974, this daring (if vacuuming Vincent Gallo's nether regions can be called daring) indie darling has that odd ability to look absolutely alluring one minute and absolutely skanky the next. She's been in Kids, Trees Lounge, The Last Days of Disco, Boys Don't Cry, American Psycho and of course, The Brown Bunny.

"There's a real danger in trying to stay king of the mountain. You stop taking risks, you stop being as creative, because you're trying to maintain a position. Apart from anything else that really takes the fun out of it."

- Sissy Spacek

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Do my votes count?

Bracket 15 - Julianne Moore
Bracket 16 - Jennifer Jason Leigh

Sorry, but I still don't understand this tournament.

Chris

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Christopher, you're welcome to join in. :)

Brackets are usually up for a day. At the end of that day, the votes are tallied and the winner(s) advance to the next round. After the requisite number of rounds, we'll end up with one winner.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Both these brackets are going to be painful. Not sure I can decide.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, is this a new format? The tournament-within-a-tournament?

Julianne Moore

Chloe Sevigny (somewhat tough)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Sissy Spacek - an easy one.
Jennifer Jason Leigh - deciding between her and Parker Posey was far too tough, so I flipped a coin.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Lew is just acting out the bizarre stuff that happens in movies that make no sense that makes me hate them so much. :) :) :)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Sissy Spacek - a very fine, beautiful actress who can deliver a touching performance without a bagful of obvious acting tricks. Julianne Moore is good also but there's just something annoying/fake about her that I just can't put my finger on.

Jennifer Jason Leigh - a good actress although sometimes her performances are a little too mannered, she was amazing in Last Exit to Brooklyn.
As Steve said, Sevigny is just too skanky for my liking and I absolutely hate Parker Posey with a passion, it's actually hard for me to even look at her and to listen to her witchy cackle. Of course, this passionate hatred of Posey existed even before she loudly accused me of butting into a long line-up at a cinema (something I NEVER do), arguing with me then blowing me off with one of her witchy cackles. Urgh!

I've seen Julianne Moore and Chloe Sevigny in person and I had a encounter with Parker Posey.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Forgiving her for being involved with and obviously not giving a shit about her performance in Hannibal....Julianne Moore

And abstain on 2.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Glenn Close (not impressed with any of those 3, but almost anyone would be better than Julianne Moore).

Parker Posey (not very high on her, but with this competition, a laughably easy choice.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just seemed worth repeating. I have no idea why.

I guess I'll go with...

Sissy Spacek

Chloe Sevigny

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll go with Sissy Spacek and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Julianne Moore and Jennifer Jason Leigh advance.

Back in thirty shakes of a lamb's tail with new matchups...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Round 1 - Bracket 17

Julie Christie

Born in 1971, Al Pacino called this still-stunning beauty "the most poetic of all actresses." Her breakthrough role came in Billy Liar. She then went on to star in Dr. Zhivago, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Demon Seed, Don't Look Now and Finding Neverland. Nominated three times for an Oscar, she won for her second major role in Darling. Her favorite film director is Rainer Werner Fassbinder (trolling for Brook's vote). Ranked #29 on Mr. Skin's Top 100 Celebrity Nude Scenes.

vs.

Mary Steenburgen

Born in 1953, this engagingly maternal lady can be seen in Time After Time, Cross Creek, Dead of Winter, Parenthood, Back to the Future III and Life as a House. She won an Oscar for her role in Melvin and Howard.

vs.

Meg Ryan (wildcard)

Born in 1961, this perky blonde was for a time one of our most popular actresses. Sticking mainly to romantic comedies, she occasionally takes on more offbeat roles (such as getting naked in In the Cut and getting killed in Courage Under Fire). Check her out also in Top Gun, Innerspace, Sleepless in Seattle, The Doors and City of Angels.

Round 1 - Bracket 18

Naomi Watts

Born in 1968, this jaw-droppingly hot Aussie got her big break when she starred in David Lynch's Mulholland Dr. She's also been in Strange Planet, The Ring, Ellie Parker and King Kong (2005). She received an Oscar nomination for her role in 21 Grams. Thankfully she has no objections to doing nude scenes.

vs.

Julia Roberts

Born in 1967, this gangly Georgian remains one of our most popular and powerful actresses. Her credits include Mystic Pizza, Pretty Woman, Flatliners, The Mexican, Closer and Steel Magnolias. She's been nominated for three Oscars and won for cussing her way through Erin Brockovich.

"I wouldn't do nudity in films. To act with my clothes on is a performance. To act with my clothes off is a documentary." Say what? Methinks someone just has the proverbial hairy back, eh?

vs.

Halle Berry (wildcard)

Born in 1966, this stunner got her first real notice for showing off her berries in Swordfish. She's also been featured in the X-Men films, Bulworth, Die Another Die and um, Catwoman. She won an Oscar for her role in Monster's Ball.

"That SteveGon is SO freakin' hot. I mean, I just want to jump his bones RIGHT NOW!!!"

- Naomi Watts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks