What's new

Best compact bookshelf speaker for my system (1 Viewer)

kyutaek

Agent
I am looking for a compact bookshelf speakers (main and center channel). For some reasons, I have to find the (bookshelf) speakers fit to my entertainment center (11.8" height).
I prefer to have the speakers to suit the other components.
A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR801
DVD Player: Onkyo CP 701 multi-dvd changer
Subwoofer: Pinnacle Subsonic subwoofer (it was my best choice due to the limit of my size).

I listen more music (70%) than movie (30%). I prefer musical, great imaging, natural, non-fatigue, detailed sound. I am not a loud listener (mostly classical and easy listening).

Given the situation and preferences, I've searched and these speakers in mind:

Epos ELS-3
Monitor Audio Silver S1
Dynaudio 42

I fully understand these three speakers are not in the same price/performance level. I am thinking to get a used/demo one if it is worth to upgrade by putting more money (than buying a new, cheaper Epos ELs-3). Most important factor to find the right one is to get the speakers to best match with the other component for my first HT system. If you receommend any other brand/model (with less than 12" height), it would be great too. My maximum budget would be $700-800 (both bookshelf and center channel). Thank you for your advise in advance.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have an Onkyo based Integra DTR 6.4 with Boston Acoustics VR-M60s, VRC and VR-M50s. Either the 60s or the 50s would fit the measurements you cite (though the 60s would be a snug fit). I find the combination of the Integra and the Bostons to be fantastic, so I urge an audition on you.

Given your budget restrictions, you might have to look for used. 50s retail 700$, VRC 400$, 60s 1000$.

They are natural and detailed though, with great depth and soundstaging. I too have a 70% bias towards music and that's what pushed me to go with the Bostons.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Have you actually listened to any of the speakers that you are considering?

I would start there...

kyutaek

Agent
I heard MA S1 (as well as B2) at a local dealer. It was quite good (better than B2, more detail and refined). I didn't have a chance to hear the other two.

Actuallly, I had Epos ELS-3 in mind, but was told that my Onkyo receiver would not well match with the Epos (4 ohm, rear-port, etc.). I don't know how much these factors would take effect on sound qulity. That's why I searched the other speakers (they are all rear port design, though).

I am pretty sure that there are certain speakers matching a specific receiver (Onkyo, in my case), but it seeems to be hard to figure out what(brand/model) are those and how much this matter (in terms of sound quality, speaker design and other technical features).

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
With rear ported speakers, their sound may be greatly compromised if placing them in an enclosed bookshelf.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If the space is restrained, then I must second Curtis' comment about rear ported speakers. In one of the stores I visited, the bookshelf speakers were actually in bookshelves and the rear ported ones sounded horrifically boomy until I had the salesguy put them on stands.

P.S. The Dynaudios are also 4ohm, so you should keep that in mind.

kyutaek

Agent
I will put the speakers not in a closed bookshelf, but in open (for all four directions) entertainment center with shelves. There are four vertical legs, though. I think it should be fine to put rear-port speakers, right?

Regarding ohm issue, according to Onkyo spec, NR801's power out put are 100w/ch (Front L/R) for 8ohm, 130w/ch for 6ohm. Not mentioned the stats for 4ohm. Only dynamic power in front is indicated as 210w/ch. Is the receiver not powerful enough to handle 4ohm speakers, like ELS3?
Or, is there something hidden not shown in the stats?
If it is not just a matter of total output, any other factor (feature) I have to consider Onkyo-4ohm matching, compared to other popular brands (like Denon, H&K, Yamaha)?

I inquired the issue to Music Hall (US distributor of ELS-3 speakers) and they said that it will play just fine with Onkyo. I was told that Els-3 is very easy to drive and most of powerful receivers should be fine. Anything they are missing or hiding?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks