What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Best Buy To Exit Physical Media Business In 2024 (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like digital media under a couple of circumstances.

1) when I don't need to really own a physical copy. Some movies are one and done for me. Or once in a VERY great while. Those I'm totally fine watching via digital on a subscription platform basis.

2) Digital codes with physical media. More than once I would buy a 4K set and one of the discs would have a defect. So I would finish watching the film on Movies Anywhere or Apple TV. That backup has been great. Also it saves the wear and tear of my taking a disc out of the collector sleeve that can sometimes be problematic (like those Universal Book presentations).

Music. If there's a lossless digital download option that's much cheaper than a CD, I will go that route.

For films and TV, I prefer physical media because I won't be at the whim of internet speeds or rightsholders. But I have no prejudice towards digital. And often, I convert my physical to digital for watching on a server to save space and preserve the life of the media.

Having said that, I do miss walking into a store, seeing row after row of DVDs and Blu Rays at Best Buy or one of the wholesale clubs and finding treasures. However, I am lucky enough to have a few mom and pop stores which sell everyone else's cast offs for bargain prices.

This was Best Buy in 2011. I was stunned to see the entire run of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea along with so many other shows. Ah well. Get those kids off my lawn!

IMG_5294.JPG

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is The French Connection on that list? That one definitely did get censored within people's digital collections after they purchased it.
I do own it. What was censored?

John*Wells

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I freely admit that I prefer physical media. That said, I would probably download digital versions of the Star Trek tv series’ the Andy Griffith Show and a few others since discs wear out

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Yes, yes... but only with physical media would you ever have the pleasure of strapping the Xanadu DVD to a Dremel, cranking that sucker up to full speed, and having the disc fly apart into angry plastic shards that penetrate all the walls of your room.

cd_shatters.gif

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I do own it. What was censored?

Before his death, William Friedkin made changes to cut some dialogue from the film in which the Popeye Doyle character spews racial slurs. These changes were propagated across all digital copies of the movie on every platform, even those purchased years earlier. If you own a digital copy of The French Connection, you have the censored version. The original has been removed from digital circulation.

Ironically, this change actually makes the movie more problematic. The Popeye character was always an abusive bigot, and blurting out the n- word was meant as confirmation for audiences of how racist he (and by extension other New York cops) was. Removing the lines softens the character and makes his behavior seem less objectionable.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I was able to order Vol. 3 of the Columbia Classics set on their website so they're not completely out of the game yet. I'm guessing they're getting rid of all leftover stock but they're not discounting anything so good luck reducing that inventory any time soon.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My Best Buy hasn’t had that many media shelves in 15 years.

I was in my local Best Buy a month ago and all they had was a small island at the front of the store with new releases.

I can't say for sure what has happened, but over the last 24 hours, there have been a lot of people posting photos of empty shelves as if there was a direct order to dismantle everything across all stores.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m sure this was part of the previously announced decision to eliminate the sales of physical media. I’m sure you’re right that it was part of a corporate directive. It doesn’t really make sense from a big business perspective to allow individual stores to decide when to remove the product as that only causes confusion among customers for what product lines the stores carry, and takes up space that the company will surely use to market other products. They also probably have arrangements made with either the studios or a liquidator for dealing with the remaining inventory and part of that process is likely to be getting the product consolidated and delivered to wherever it’s going. When I used to work retail, store layout changes like this were always driven by corporate.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't a larger fire sale to get rid of remaining stock before just pulling it off the shelf. I might have been willing to make a few more purchases at a discount if they were in clearance mode.

But we can't be too surprised. We all knew this day was coming in the first part of this year. It just came a little earlier than we might have expected.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It doesn’t pay for Best Buy to do the fire sale themselves. Keeping the product on the shelves costs them more in real estate and staffing than the product returns in revenue. There are companies that specialize in liquidation who will buy the bulk of the holdings in one transaction, and Best Buy will offload it all in one fell swoop.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It doesn’t pay for Best Buy to do the fire sale themselves. Keeping the product on the shelves costs them more in real estate and staffing than the product returns in revenue. There are companies that specialize in liquidation who will buy the bulk of the holdings in one transaction, and Best Buy will offload it all in one fell swoop.
Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen in January. Better to just get it over with rather than drag it out and in the process confuse some of their customer base. Pack up the stock and the fixtures and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks