What's new

Best A/V Receiver for under a grand? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I know this has been posted over and over, but I'd like a refresher. I'm considering a new A/V receiver since my NAD T742 flipped out on me, and I'd like to spend under $1,000. I have PSB Image 4Ts as my mains, a PSB center channel, a Sub Sonic 6 and Bose 162s as surrounds (they were free).

I've read good things about Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer and Cambridge online. Here's what is important to me:

- 5.1 speaker setup with my PSB Image Series and sub
- Really good surround sound and effects for DVD movies
- Sound quality for music, usually from my iPod
- I'd like to switch from surround to stereo when changing from movies to music
- Regular TV audio (non HD)

I use 5.1, so I don't NEED 7.1, and I don't envision using multiple zones.

I liked my NAD's music performance better than movie performance, but movies were pretty good. I like the idea of integrated XM and iPod features, but want sound quality to be the priority.

I want the best sound quality bang for my buck, trying to stay under $1,000. I really appreciate all opinions!

MikeNg

Second Unit
You want to start a fight around here, don't you!?!?!! :P

As far as sound quality goes, I think you'd find most around these parts will tell you Marantz, HK, Denon, and the Panny digitals as being solid units.

Mike

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty happy with my Onkyo 803. It is either 7.1 or 5.1. converts all signals but HDMI to Component outputs and has lots of options I'm just now getting in to. XM ready and Onkyo is doing something with Ipod too.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Accessory&p=i
My only complaint so far, not enough digital audio inputs. only 2 coax and 2 optical. I just happen to have 3 optical sources....
Nice receiver, good power and had all the features I was looking for on it.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
You can get the Denon AVR-3805 on closeout for a really good price online if you do some searching. It's an excellent receiver for the money, and has the useful auto calibration feature.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
How's separates sound to you for about a grand??

I'm on the pre-order list on the Emotiva UL's. Take a peek here: link

mackie

Supporting Actor
Outlaw has a receiver under $1000 that's supposed to be excellent. If you're looking for video switching with all the latest bells and whistles, my favorites are Denon and Yamaha. IMO you're in the sweet spot as far as receivers go. The ones in this range generally have good power output and sound great.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V1400 18 months ago and I am happy with it. That being said if the Outlaw had been availible at that time I would have purchased it.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
What about an Onkyo TX-SR603X? I can get a brand new one for $380. It's XM ready and integrates the iPod nicely with an Onkyo iPod dock.

I tested one at the store with "Gladiator", "Spiderman 2" and "Monsters Inc". All three sounded great. The 603 is not THX certified, but I don't think I care. It has great 5.1 sound, sound options for music and TV, and comes with an audio set up mic.

Should I do it? 90 wpc is enough for my living room.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
May want to consider the TX-SR703. Here are the differences between the two:

- 10w per channel increase in power (100w as opposed to 90w)
- 7.1 multichannel input as opposed to 5.1
- 7.1 pre-outs
- 1 extra Audio and AV Input
- an additional optical input
- Phono Input
- Backlit remote
- Adjustable Digital Delay
- IR In and Out
- Pure Audio mode
- DS-A1 Compatible

The 703 seems a bit more "future proof", if there is such a thing with electronics, but it may not be worth the additional money. I have learned from previous experience though, I will likely never buy another receiver that doesn't include pre-outs. Just some additional FYI... -TD

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tom, but for the price difference of the 703, let me know what you think, based on your points below, if the 603 might be a better fit for me.

- 10w per channel increase in power (100w as opposed to 90w)
* - For my living room, I think 90 is fine

- 7.1 multichannel input as opposed to 5.1
* - I use 5.1, and don't see me upgrading to 7 speakers for at least the next few years

- 7.1 pre-outs

- 1 extra Audio and AV Input
* - I'm only connecting a DVD, iPod, Cable Box and Apple's AirTunes via Airport

- an additional optical input
* - There are two optical and two coax digital, and I'm only using two digital audio inputs

- Phono Input
* - Don't use phono

- Backlit remote
* - I use a Harmony programmable remote for everything

- Adjustable Digital Delay

- IR In and Out

- Pure Audio mode
* - I'm not sure what this is

- DS-A1 Compatible
* - So is the 603, I saw and heard it in action

Based on this, what do you think? Thanks very much for your input!

MikeNg

Second Unit
Have you guys heard the Boston Acoustics AVR? I'm curious to know how it performs compared to some of the other receivers that are recommended here...

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
They are rebadged Newcastle. The quality is supposed to be very good, but the steep price makes it hard to reach for most people. Boston was acquired by D&M Holding, the parent company for Denon and Marantz. Boston's receiver line was dropped shortly thereafter. Not very surprising since D&M already have two strong performers in the receiver market already. Looks like D&M is set to become another Harman International.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Sherwood.....what about their Newcastle line? Their R-756's MSRP is $799 (it's a loaded 5.1 model).

If Boston Acoustics trusted them enough to put their own name on them..........

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor

So! You think this is worth the jump from a HK 7200 and the pain from the wife on what are you going to do with two receivers?

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I give my vote to Denon 3805. My Denon 3300 is having audio problems [it fails to detect DD5.1 sound]; thus, I am taking it to see if it can be repaired and the fix is cost effective.

If the fix is not within my $290 limit, then I will go an buy a Denon 3805 unless I find a dream AV receiver with the following fetures

DTS/DD 5.1 or better
4 video component inputs
4 audio optical inputs

and plenty other S-video and possibly coax inputs.

I have plenty of sources at home. I own a US PS2, a new Japanese PS2 BB Pack, NGC, Xbox [soon to be replaced by 360], and I want to buy a region free DVD player eventually. So the above fetures are minimum in my case, and the Denon 3805 can be had for less $1000.

Regards,
orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks