What's new

Best 50" Plasma available today or soon (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a 50" plasma soon. I know that Panasonic came out with a new one, LG, and I think HP a couple months back. Does anyone know which has the best picture? The worst thing about plasma that I've noticed is the shading problems with some blacks. It doesn't make the picture look natural. It's graduated I think is the term?

Please help. I'm looking for something that recently came out or will soon...cause I might as well. and 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio sounds nice.

Thanks.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic has the best 50 inch plasma right now. There is a TH50PX60U and a TH50PX600U. Either one will give you an excellent picture, the 600 just has more features and costs $500 more. Roughly $3500 for first one mentioned, $4,000 for the one with more features.

That's it in a nutshell.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Why does it have the best picture? I was watching it at best buy and circuit city. I don't see the difference. Cnet gave it a 7.8. that's a little depressing. I don't think they gave any plasma higher than an 8.1? Tough to spend 4 grand on a 7.something review.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
And now there's these new Pioneers. the 5071HD I think. What's the contrast ratio on that one? can't find it. It's really really expensive though!

BruZZi

Second Unit

Even though sometimes CR numbers can be tricky, in most cases the higher the CR the better.

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, contrast ratio specs mean very little. The mfrs can use several different methods for calculating the numbers, and there are no real standards. Some of the methods have very little to do with real-life usage. Wildly overstating the numbers is also very common - I'm sure most of the mfrs *could* produce the test methods they used to get their number, but since they aren't required to do so - they don't.

Personally, I would ignore the spec CR and try to see the blacks and whites using your own eyes. Have the sales rep take the display out of torch mode, and then put on something like Sin City or Underworld: Evolution. Look for the blacks *and* how much definition & detail you see in the shadows. IMHO, a display that gets you very black at the expense of the shadow detail (everything in shadow is just black) isn't a good trade-off. Also look for scenes with bright whites and do the same thing - are the whites a dirty gray? Do you see appropriate detail in the white dress, or is it just a blown-out white spot? I want an all-around good display, not just one that can render one end or the other.

I also want realistic flesh tones and smooth colors - not super over-saturated and over-sharpened like you see when the displays are in torch mode at the stores (especially the Samsungs).

Spending this kind of money is hard, and the mfrs AND stores don't make it any easier! ;)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am by no means an expert, but at the local Best Buy the Pioneers have the most impressive picture amongst the Plasma sets, but theyre also the most expensive.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Any more opinions? I'm in the same boat as Mike JM and would love to hear some more comments. What are some of the better models out there now to look at?

MattJensen

Auditioning
I myself have been looking for a 50" plasma. I think that after reading a bunch of reviews that I am going to go with the Toshiba 50HP66. You might want to check it out and see what you think.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I've been reading good things about Panasonic's TH50PX60U and a TH50PX600U as well, need to check them out at BB.

We've had a Vizio 50" for a few months now, awesome picture but the build quality is bad and the menus and settings leave much to be desired. Good extreme value plasma but it is definitely no frills.

I'll look into that Tosh as well, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks