What's new

Benefit of adding Amplifier to a mid- to hi-end Receiver (1 Viewer)

bgnreau

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Hello,

I am new to most of this and I have a question that is bugging me and I can't seem to find a good answer. I have a Pioneer Elite SC27 receiver and it has 140W/channel. My question is, why would I want to buy a 3,5 or 7 channel amp to power the speakers when, from what I've read, I have plenty of power from my receiver? What would then be the purpose of my receiver if I am not using any of its power and why should I even buy an receiver in that price range? Wouldn't it be just as feasible to downgrade the receiver and upgrade the amp?? I understand the cleaner power from the dedicated amp, I am mainly trying to understand if it is necessary to spend so much on receivers when separates might actually be a better option. I hope I am not too confusing, just looking for some answers. Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In many cases a surround processor with all the features that your current receiver has would cost just as much or more then your SC-27. Many people use a receiver as a pre/pro and by a separate amp (often times just 2 ch amp to power the fronts) for the cleaner power that you mentioned. For my situation, both my H/K 520 and Pioneer 59txi are plenty clean and powerful enough. But if someone gave me a good quality amp I'd sure try it out!

bgnreau

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Thanks gene,

That sounds like a good reason and I too would try an amp if given to me, to see if could tell/hear the difference. But, I think I have plenty to enjoy as is and I will probably just upgrade speakers in the future and look at separates way down the road. Thanks again!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
In the specs for your receiver, all the power ratings are for 8 ohms. So, evidently, your receiver isn't 4 ohm certified. If you get some 4 ohm speakers, you might want to get an external amp, and connect it to your pre-outs, to drive them, since they would put such a load on your receiver, they could cause it to go into "Protect" mode, and shut down. Protect mode shuts it down, before you fry something. It's a safety feature. But that's another reason for using an amp (a big reason).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Admins and mods get very unhappy when you post the same question in multiple forums here. Just letting you know..............

bgnreau

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Hi Ed,

I'm sorry about that. I stated above that I posted it in "basic" but I didn't think I would get any response there so I reposted it. Not too smart, huh? I will delete it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Which is done.
I also restored the posts that were already made in the other thread and made your title less shouting.

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've owned two Elite receivers -- currently a 94txh and previously a 47tx. Both receivers could easily power my 7.1 B&W 600 Series speaker setup without any issues. Unless you have very inefficient speakers, a more demanding 4ohm speaker load, or play your system at insane volume levels, I'm sure your SC27 will perform well without an external amp. Also, if you have a powered subwoofer, configuring all speakers as "small" will reduce your amplifier load as well, since your sub will shoulder all the load for low frequency responses on all channels.

bgnreau

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

I've owned two Elite receivers -- currently a 94txh and previously a 47tx. Both receivers could easily power my 7.1 B&W 600 Series speaker setup without any issues. Unless you have very inefficient speakers, a more demanding 4ohm speaker load, or play your system at insane volume levels, I'm sure your SC27 will perform well without an external amp. Also, if you have a powered subwoofer, configuring all speakers as "small" will reduce your amplifier load as well, since your sub will shoulder all the load for low frequency responses on all channels.
Thanks Scott!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks