What's new

Ben Casey On Amazon (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I was browsing around on Amazon and found this odd listing that I don't think anyone commented on here yet (as far as I am aware). It is a 3 volume set of Ben Casey episodes, 60 in all. The listing is a little odd considering there are no details associated with it (distributor, etc.) and it appears you can't really order it although it must have been available at some point because there are some reviews (most not good) from persons who had purchased it. Does anyone know anything about these? I was under the impression that CBS owned the rights to this show so I'm wondering if maybe some are PD like the early seasons of Beverly Hillbillies. Any help?

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
CBS does own them and has said there are music rights issues plus they need to be newly transferred before any legal release can be done.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
that is one show that i have put my foot in my mouth on - it will eventually come out !!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
If you hunt around there are plenty of gray area (i.e. bootleg) items listed on amazon, both TV material and music as well. Not a legitimate release.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
does amazon intentionally allow bootleg items ?

or is it something that they just dont catch ?

cuz i wasnt aware that amazon had bootleg items.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
jimmyjet said:
does amazon intentionally allow bootleg items ?

or is it something that they just dont catch ?

cuz i wasnt aware that amazon had bootleg items.
Amazon has marketplace sellers who can create their own listings so it does happen (although not as much as some other websites). It seems to be most prevalent with titles that have not had a major release.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks joe,

would these listings tend to have few reviews ?

i tend to buy only stuff with good reviews.

discs or any other items.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
If you don't see it on tvshowsondvd.com then the chances are 99.9% that its not legitimate. Only show that I can think of in all these years that was legit that they never listed was Shirley Temple Storybook Theatre.By the way, its not just TV but I've seen music on there as well that are vinyl rips and not official releases.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
If you don't see it on tvshowsondvd.com then the chances are 99.9% that its not legitimate. Only show that I can think of in all these years that was legit that they never listed was Shirley Temple Storybook Theatre.By the way, its not just TV but I've seen music on there as well that are vinyl rips and not official releases.
With music, it's a little more complicated. From what I understand, the copyright laws in Europe are a bit different than over here in that after 50 years, music falls into the public domain. That results in cd collections being released in Europe and imported by companies like Amazon without copyright violations. The quality varies on some of these collections, but companies like Jasmine and Ace Records seem to do a good job at getting quality sound from old records.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
This is the one show out of all of the great shows from the 1960s that needs an official release. I have many TV DVDs, including many from the 1960s, and that show is referred to constantly and often parodied. You rarely see references to Dr. Kildare. Just looked at a Batman episode where Sam Jaffe makes a brief appearance as "Zoltan Zorba." Unless you are familiar with Ben Casey, you are not going to understand the reference or the humor.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Even a show like Hank wasn't immune. Although not married to him at the time the show aired, Linda Foster ("Doris") was Vince Edwards' second wife (from 1967-1972).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks