What's new

Beer. What's in your fridge? (1 Viewer)

David-S

Second Unit
Hmmm, I need to go shopping...
2- Miller Lite's (I think I got them for free!! :D )
2- Young's Double Choc. Stout
2-Sam adams cherry wheat
2- sam adams boston lager...
Will have to go down to my local shop, see if they have some of these...
(I love these threads for the ideas!)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
In my fridge on a regular basis...
Bud Light (for those cheap night :) )
Tsingtao
George Killian's
Guinness
Heineken
Corona

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I've had much Shiner Bock
Shiner Bock is quite possibly the most overrated beer since the Coors epidemic of 1979.
I prefer Schells Ulmer Lager. It's hard to find outside Minnesota, but well worth the effort.
history3.jpg

Ulmer Lager is a sublime example of the German-American brewer's art that's still alive in New Ulm, Minnesota. Man, that's a good beer.
Link to Schells Web Site

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The old fridge is currently stocked with:

Labatt Blue -- The lager of choice for friends and family

Pete's Wicked Winter Ale -- My wife likes it but I can't stand the nutmeg aftertaste

Boddington's Pub Ale -- Smooth and creamy

Guinness Stout -- Must have

Bass Ale -- Another must have

Third Coast Beer -- A northern Michigan microbrew that's a bit anemic for my taste

Scott H

Supporting Actor
One of these summers I'm going to have to take some time off and tour the lower 48 to search out some of these hidden delights. After Colorado the north-west would be a perfect place to start. Can anyone say, "Road trip!!!"
I've explored just about every state and three Canadian provinces, admittedly not in pursuit of beer but drinking along the way, and to me it is blatantly obvious that the Pacific Northwest is our brewing holy land. And Portland is it's capital. Not only are there countless acclaimed breweries and brewers, it's just a part of life up there. It is also the preeminent region of the US for all the ingredients. Of course, there is good beer from everywhere. But hop heads come from all over the world to hang out in the PNW.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...onbrewing.html
Now my Ireland and Great Britain road trips were a bit more about pub culture, which I relish. And the closest similarities I've found here are in the PNW, where young and old chat over a pint at lunch.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone ever had EKU, it is in a black bottle and is about $14 a sixer. 12 or 13% ABV!!

There is a college in my state called EKU and supposedly they used to get the 5 liter kegs and use them for lamps!

Newcastle Brown is my fav, I've drank so much of this stuff every time I taste it a flood of memories from college, parties, and things that I don't remember come rushing back. Dos Equis and Kirin Ichiban, Heineken Dark are good too. Heineken Dark was my drinking beer after I killed a 6 pack of Newcastle and needed more.

Although my senior year of college Kroger started to carry Newcastle until 2 am. All the other stores close at 11 pm!

Mmm... Beer

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Well I must say I have never heard of most of the bear listed here. I live in Miami so we drink mostly imports not alot of micros.
My personal favorites are:
1.Heineken
2.Corona
3.Red Stripe(Jamaica)
In that order, I also drink a few other brews on occasion.
Honey Brown, Hollanda, Hatuey(Cuba), Presidente
Later Haywood :cool:

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Well, since Christmas, I've been brewing my own.

I currently have some Oktoberfestlike brew, and a wheat-based brew with just a hint of lemon in it--very crisp and refreshing, almost dry like a white wine.

On Tuesday, I'll be ready to start chilling some very hoppy pale ale that should be finished carbonating.

On Wednesday, I'll be bottling some cream ale that will be finished fermenting and then start a brew of some Irish red (a Killian's clone) for Saint Paddy's day.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think I have about 4 cans of Linenkugel's original. And maybe a Hamm's and those probably wont make it through Wednesday. Beer doesn't last very long in my fridge. Especially the high-end import stuff... that stuff "evaporates" fast. ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Right now, a couple bottles of Leinenkugel Red. Man, I could drink that stuff all day long, if I didn't fall asleep. :)
For those looking for a weightier beer, look no further than New Glarus Brewing Co.'s Uff Da. Yum!

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Ron P says:
Any tips, suggestions, good kits you could recommend Hugh?
We're practically neighbors Ron. I live Laguna Niguel.
I started with one of those Mr. Beer kits that they sell in the houseware stores around Christmas. They don't stock them the other 11 months of the year, but you can order them from their website, http://mrbeer.com. Good, but more like baking a cake from a mix than from scratch. Soon, I wanted more control. Luckily, we have an excellent brewing supply company in Mission Viejo. I've been able to get the raw ingredients there and much good advice. I'm still using my 2-gallon fermenter from the kit, but I'm considering buying a 5-gallon fermenter. The raw ingredients are sized for 5-gallon batches, so I just down-size 'em.
I'm not sure what you might have up north in your neck of the woods, but O'Shea's has just about everything I need. They have everything that a neophyte (like me) would need. I'm really too much of a beginner to offer more advice than the name of a good supplier.
I also have found a couple of cool websites with tips and and alternate source of ingredients, but those URLs are on my home computer. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like and I'll e-mail you the links.
Peace out back at you.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Hugh. I paid a visit to MrBeer and am going to order the Premium kit to get started.
We are closer than you think, I live in HB. I'll have to get the name of your supply co and pay them a visit some weekend.
I'll send ya out an email. Thanks for the info.
Peace Out~:D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Any tips, suggestions, good kits you could recommend
Go right to barreling.. bottles are a pain unless you plan to give the stuff as gifts.

Barreling allows you to force carbonate which gives you a quicker turn around on your brew. Perhaps too quick.. my brother and I once had a carboy in each closet of the house in various stages of fermentation.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Dave, I don't think I'm quite ready for that level of brewing yet. Bottles are much more easily portable. Take up less room in a condo, too. Thanks for the tip, though.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Brooklyn Brewerey East India Pale Ale. As for beer making, I have been trying to make GOOD beer since 1980! Off and on of course. Not as easy as one might think. Or maybe I am a fuck-up when it come to brewing beer...

Jon_R - EKU 28 was taunted as the strongest beer in the world. I don't think it holds that title any more. It is one BAD beer! Strong and nasty tasting. Kind of like a liquer. I dare anyone to drink two bottles in one sitting. Morning after headaches measured on the ricter scale!

David Oliver

Second Unit
Just the staples...

Bass

Guinness

Rolling Rock

But I have been desparately looking for Redhook Double Black in the Greater Los Angeles Metroplex area, but to no avail.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I recently found that my local Freshfields Whole Foods Market stocks Stoudt's beer in the 22 oz champagne bottles. At $5.99 per bottle it ain't cheap, but the Black Dog Stout and the Scottish Style Ale are two of the best beers I've ever tasted. Unfortunately they're not in my fridge but there are three empty champagne bottles in my recycling bin.
Ron-P - I like that Belk's a lot. Good stuff.
As for brewing your own, I've made about 10-15 batches myself, and never made a bad batch. I don't brew any more because it just takes a lot of time and I'm lazy. It is easy and fun, and though I don't do it now, I recommend the hobby for anyone who really enjoys beer. It's so easy to do and you really get an understanding for beer and all it's subtleties.
Here are some tips based on my experience:
* Keep everything clean.
* Forget the "all in one" kits. Find a local yellow pages and go to a local store that sells brewing supplies. They will get you started. If they sell you a kit ask for advice for getting the most out of the kit, particularly using fresh yeast instead of dry yeast and fresh hop pellets instead of the ones included (if necessary). You can easily substitute fresh yeast and hops (if necessary) for the ones in the kit and the results will be dramatically improved.
* Keep everything clean.
* Do not buy online, go local. Brew stores are struggling as the popularity of the homebrew hobby has been waning in recent years. These places need your business (not that online places don't). Yeast and hops have to be kept fresh and you will find them refrigerated at your local shop. You wouldn't order milk and eggs online would you?
* Keep everything clean.
* Consider buying this book: The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. It's the home brewer's bible.
* Keep everything clean.
* Don't hesitate to "graduate" from the kits to more advanced techniques, even after your first couple batches. It's very easy to do both the bittering and the finishing hopping yourself with unhopped malt extract, and you have better control of the flavor of your beer. Also, it's not tough to do something like steeping your own (chocolate or other variety) malt in the boil water before adding the malt extract to the boil.
* Keep everything clean.
* If you can get them, try to use 16 oz returnable bottles for your brewing. It will make bottling day much easier than 12s. I used to use the Stoudt's 22 oz champagne bottles and they're great. Some people advocate kegging systems or pressurized containers, but I do not. I prefer the flexibility and convenience of bottles. It's worth the trouble to have little convenient carrying containers for the beer.
* If possible, use a glass carboy for your secondary fermenter (and primary if you can). Plastic isn't the same.
* Have FUN! Brewing is a fun hobby!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks