What's new

Avia vs Video essential's (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
whats the pro's and cons of each,what does evertone prefer?I have VE,but read a lot of people use Avia.Shold I get an Avia disc andstart over?

Greg

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hello

For most consumers either is fine.

Best of luck!

Gregg

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I use both. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say the Avia is more useful due to the advanced color adjustments. VE doesn't come with colored gels and basically tells to you match fleshtones.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Depending on your current display, or you future plans regarding one, you may want to get the cheapest one now considering Digital Video Essentials is coming in the next few months. It will be geared to regular displays as well as HDTV stuff.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
VE doesn't come with colored gels and basically tells to you match fleshtones.
VE does come with a blue gel only, and it basically tells you NOT to judge by flesh tones.

Judging bars with a blue filter is usually sufficient, although it's better if you can turn off the other guns via the service menu, than using any filter at all.

-Scott

Brae

Supporting Actor
Actually, there is one difference one needs to be aware of. The Avia DVD is calibrated for 7.5 IRE backs while the VE DVD is calibrated for 0 IRE. Unless one is only using a source player capable of 7.5 IRE, using a regular NTSC television, etc. then either will do. But, if one is looking to calibrate their display with absolute black levels for the capable sources then for video calibration use the VE DVD.
For audio calibration, both are fine. If I am incorrect then let the powers strike me down in a lightning flash. :)

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
The bass calibration is different on each disc. VE has a discrete .1 LFE db pink noise. Avia uses bass management to measure your sub output. Example: front speaker set to small the bass being redirected to the sub is the information on the sub test. if set to large no sound. you then use your small center or small rears to get the bass to the sub for DB matching. You may find a difference between bassmanagement and the LFE channel in the sub.

Brae

Supporting Actor
I will add this to the things to experiement with this weekend! I say this, because I've ALWAYS kept my main loudspeakers set to Large and when I test the LFE I still get bass from both the loudspeakers and the subwoofer.

Maybe I am either not doing something right, or in a necessary fashion to reach the same conditions you are, or I am just not remembering correctly. :b

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brae,
I use VE but I have a sony player that has 7.5 IRE and no 0 IRE. So what would be the outcome of the black level calibration? Is it off due to the players black level being 7.5 IRE?

Brae

Supporting Actor
Well, your DVD player is not capable of sending a 0 IRE to your display device. Thus, the 0 IRE material you are attempting to use on the VE DVD will probably be incorrectly displayed as 7.5 IRE. Someone may want to correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks