What's new

audio only receiver? (1 Viewer)

tarheelsmoker

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I have searched and if this has been discussed I could not find the thread so links to ongoing discussions will be equally appreciated.

I would like to have a receiver to drive a built in surround sound speaker setup but I do not want to have all of my devices passing through the receiver. I only have two devices that provide A/V signal and the TV has a digital audio output. I only need a means to drive the audio from the TV and do not want to pay for a full A/V receiver. I am currently on the third one I have bought and it does not support 4K. Not really all that excited about buying another full feature A/V. All I need is a receiver that can run home theater audio from an optical digital input.

So far all I have found are stereo systems, nothing to support surround sound. Any suggestions?

TYIA,

THS

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The good news is, you already have what you need. Since you don't plan to pass any video through the receiver, it makes no difference what its video capabilities are. So, 4K support isn't needed. Just use the optical output from the TV to your receiver.

Done.

Also, there is no such thing (as far as I know) as a surround receiver with no video switching.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One thing, you probably do need to connect an hdmi output from the receiver to the TV, but only for the times you need to access the receiver's setup menu. There's still no need for a 4K compatible receiver to do that.

tarheelsmoker

Auditioning
Real Name
David
... I had not looked at the inputs on the current receiver. Thanks for the obvious answer that i missed. I'll see what's available for input into the receiver.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If there's such a device to be found it might be at Crutchfield.com. They have a very good selection of AV products.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The only thing I've noticed in recent years is the reduction of coax, optical, and analog inputs on receivers.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Wow, it's sounds like you're looking for a very old AV (20+ year old?) receiver. In which case you need to identify a good brand and model and search eBay. I did the same thing a year or so ago (but for different reasons). I bought a second Sony AV receiver on eBay (a STR-DH520, a 10+ year old design) so I would not have to learn a new receiver setup process. The setup menu uses the remote control, so a video connection to the TV is not essential.

One AV system does not use the receiver's HDMI inputs, the other system does. I've never been able to get HDMI CEC working with this receiver and a Samsung TV, so I would not recommend this particular model. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks