What's new

Audio issue on one channel from record player (1 Viewer)

cupojo

Auditioning
Real Name
joe s
Here is the set up:
Old school record player to mini pre amp to digital amplifier to speakers
All connected thru basic red / white audio cables.

Issue is, that every once in a while, the right channel on the speakers will go out while playing a record.
To fix it, i unplug and plug back in the red input on the mini amp a few times, and then its ok.
I've replaced the mini amp, and the issue still happens.
What could be the problem?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Best guess, bad/partially broken wire. I'll assume this player has built in wire instead of a plug in that could be changed easily.
How old is the player?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The player is quite old. Which wire are you referring to?
I agree with @David Norman - See below image. Either the red or white connection is likely compromised.

1667167421436.png

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The player is quite old. Which wire are you referring to?

I was thinking it was likely the Right Channel output wire from the Turntable that connect to the Right Channel input of the mini amp. Since it corrects itself when you disconnect/reconnect it could be a brokne wire/solder point inside the plug or anywhere along the path of the wire all the way back the Cartridge When the sound goes out again, I'd wiggl;e or manipulate the plug first then work/reposition the wire all the way back to the TT.

With an older TT I'm guessing the wire from the player to the amp is built in/fixed so not easily replaceable.

cupojo

Auditioning
Real Name
joe s
thanks for the suggestions, i'll give them all a try and report back....

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you're at least getting closer to the issue.

I take it that your TT has separate RCA output jacks to allow changing wires instead of fixed wires. Makes me wonder in the solder joints of the jack have corroded or at partially broken - might be easier to fix than if you had to replace the entire wiring

My very old 1980 era TT has fixed wires so I've always made me a bit hesitant when I have to move things and plug everything back into the Receiver. They're a bit too short from where I'd like to place it so I've had to use a female-female extensions to connect things. It was at best an upper low end TT back in the day ($100-125 on clearance if I remember) though not too bad. I'd consider upgrading to a better overall unit, but realized at some point that I don't really use it that much

cupojo

Auditioning
Real Name
joe s
well, it might be time for a new TT for me....this one is quite old and might be time for an upgade

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks