Audio description? Interesting...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by SteveGon, Apr 16, 2007.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I watched the R2 DVD of Red Road the other night and noticed a special feature called "audio description." This turned out to be a commentary track describing the visual aspects of the film for the blind. (Old news perhaps, but I had never seen it before.) An interesting idea, but I have to wonder if there's much of an audience for it. At any rate, it's a nice gesture by the producers. [​IMG]

Hmm, I only watched a few minutes of the film with the audio description on and didn't think to fast forward to a fairly explicit sex scene. Would have been interesting to hear that described! [​IMG]

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    One of these is on the T2:UE as well.

3. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

4. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

The theatrical cut of Dare Devil also had a descriptive audio track but strangely the directors cut does not. Does anyone know if special dvds that have descriptive audio tracks are produced and sold through various institutes for the blind and visually impaired? It seems quite unfair that such a small percentage of dvds actually come with such a track. What are blind and visually impaired people supposed to do if they want to watch a movie that doesn't have one? Pay someone to sit there and describe whats happening for them?

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I believe the Audio Descriptive tracks are generally on UK releases.

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
  7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I listened to the one on "Moulin Rouge", which would be impossible to get to if you couldn't see because the audio button is locked out and you have to select it from a sub-menu!

40-Year-Old Virgin and Cinderella Man have it too, in fact I think Universal has been including that a lot lately. It was also on the first release of the Grinch movie, and the first Basic Instinct disc which I heard was unintentionally funny.