What's new
World Wide Stereo

Attempting my first ever DIY Sub and need some help:) (1 Viewer)

Dave A.

Grip
Ok well here are the factors involved in this and this is my first time EVER doing anything like this..and it's good to note that i am a total newbie to HT's in general:)

Ok i was thinking of doing a Shiva Driver (not sure on size) and a PE 250 amp. In a vented design.
Room is 6000 sq ft 1 opening and it will be used in a 75% HT set up.

Should i go sonotube or box, also i was thinking of a pyramid design since i am very egyptian themed and would like to keep that if possible but it's not a requirement.

I tried reading the shiva build sheet thing and well it totally confused me...lol
I need to figure out
A. How big it has to be.
B. How to vent it and where
C. Size of Driver

All in all i am looking for good deep base with out spending a whloe lot...i figure in all this should run me about 300.00 (thanks GeoffM for your help!)

Thanks all in Advance!!!

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Well Dave, you have A LOT of area to fill with bass which makes getting the high SPL readings difficult.
C. Size of Driver
The Shiva is only available in 12". A single Shiva will work okay but don't expect reference levels of bass from a single unit in that size of room. If you are looking for high SPL levels then you will need at least 2 of the Shivas or step up to a 15" or 18" driver(s). The nice thing about DIY is that you can build one and if its not enough just build another just like it :)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, is your room really 6000 square feet? That's more than 3.5 times bigger than my whole house, and I feel my EBS shiva isn't quite enough for my living room. :)

Either you're dealing with a huge commercial type space, or you meant 600. If you meant 600, a shiva will be good. I bought my Shiva from Kyle... he's a pleasure to work with!!

Here are two links that will help you.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_paper.htm
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_apps.htm

A pyramid shaped sub would be way cool.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hi Dave,

In a room as large as yours, you might want to consider the Adire Audio Tempest. It's only $25 more and is capable of appx 40% more output.

Adire Audio has suggest vented applications for this sub as well on their site.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
He probably meant cubic feet instead of square feet which is still quite large. That would be like a room 20'w x 30'L x 10'H.

Dave A.

Grip
Ok my bad yes i meant cubic feet not sq...lol sorry.
Man if my rrom was that big i would be making a bit bigger box..
ok i made some really huge miscalc somewhere last night and got the real measuements for my room.

11'5"W x 14'L x 8'H is 1288 cubic feet?

If so lol i was more than a bit off...LOL

Anywho will my set up be ok for a room this size?

Dave A.

Grip
Ok well i figured out the Pyramid dimensions..if i go that route. Dimensions will be 27" X 27" x 24" (base X2 , side x4 no top total volume is 3.37 CF , only thing thats giving me some issue is how to brace it.

Another idea my buddy had was to make the standard box for the sub and make little pyramid's for the fronts and rears.

I will have to figure out how big they have to be and all...but i may go this route:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks