What's new

Atlona extenders (1 Viewer)

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
So I touched in this before. Looking for an accurate answer. So I just bought a Samsung outdoor tv. I also have four outdoor speakers being powered by a Sonos amp. My cable box and my Sonos amp is about 70ft away. So we are using Atlona hdmi extenders that support audio also. (Through optical on each side). I believe model 100cea. On the Sonos amp side I have a hdmi dongle from Sonos to covert the optical to hdmi. The run is over cat 6e.
Here is the issue. Having issues using my Samsung remote to control the cable box and the Sonos amp. Atlona has the ir connections on the tv side and the cable box and Sonos amp side. According to Samsung it should work. Also according to Best Buy. Best Buy who did the install thinks it’s a remote issue. So waiting on a new remote. And then to figure it out. For some reason I think it’s a Best Buy installer error. Can anyone give me some feed back. This whole setup works fine inside in my den but with using a indoor tv and hdmi connections. The Samsung remote controls everything.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Did they connect the IR sensors properly? Here is the wire setup from the owner's manual.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 8.59.51 PM.png

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
Did they connect the IR sensors properly? Here is the wire setup from the owner's manual.

View attachment 78593
Best Buy did it. I believe they did. The Samsung remote is not working with this setup. And according to Best Buy magnolia team. It should. But I believe they are doing something wrong. Either with the remote programming. Or it just can’t work. What do you think.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
If Magnolia did it I'm surprised they would even try to use the factory remote. They should have recommended a Savant or URC remote with an RF station.

If you go to the input screen on the TV is the HDMI being used named after the cable box. If the remote was programmed to a Spectrum box then the input should read Spectrum, etc.

Try pointing the remote at the cable box inside and see if it works it. If it does then you know the IR sensors are not working properly.

Personally I'm not a fan of using IR extenders or CEC to control components. I would rather use a remote with a RF base station. It's more reliable and can be programmed to do more.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
Totally understand. But to be honest. When I approached them about the setup. I told them I wanted it the same way as I had it in my den. Which was Samsung tv (frame) hdmi to my cable box and hdmi from Sonos amp to arc on the tv. The Samsung remote controls everything. Cable box / sound /smart feature. And it’s very smooth and easy. Wife accepted lol.
Now obviously this is an outdoor setup with a longer run- Using cat 6 and Atlona converters. . The magnolia guys told me it would work the same. Now not all
Magnolia’s are the same. These guys do the hi end jobs in ny. So little surprised they couldn’t get it on the first try. They are coming back on the 29th. But they are scaring me. Getting conflicting advice. That’s why I’m reaching out. But according to their head guy. It can be done. One remote all control. Getting to your point. It’s an outdoor setup.., I didn’t want a control system. This whole package was expensive And like I said , the guy told me it should work. He’s getting me a new outdoor Samsung remote. That came with the outdoor tv. And sending his programmer. The first time the ir on the tv wasn’t lighting up ????? So I guess I’m asking will it work. And will it be smooth

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
All Magnolia's do high end jobs, that's what they do. I've worked with Magnolia and System Design out of Nashville, Atlanta and Birmingham and I can tell you that you are in good hands. If they say they can get it to work then I would wait and see what happens on the 29th. To answer your question, I would say "Yes" it will work and be smooth.

Congrats on the new Terrace TV, I bet that thing is amazingly bright.

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
Thanks Brian. For all the info. Every Best Buy has magnolia. But Unfortunately in ny, the design center, The A team , is only in one store in Long Island. Now obviously if you want a tv hung or advice on a average speaker, yes anywhere is fine. But if you want the stuff you were talking about. Crestron , savant or installing major jobs, either you go to this certain store or hire an independent Av company. They actually train the other stores. The other stores are not at the same level as I said but they know minor stuff. They are actually trying to change that. But anyways, that’s what was scaring me about this process. These guys were giving me conflicting info and couldn’t get it done. Let’s see how round two goes. Thanks.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Palmese85, I wanted to let you know that today I set up a Samsung TV with an HDMI extender connected back to DirecTV. After connecting the extender and getting a signal through to the TV, I was able to program the Samsung remote to control the DirecTV through the IR repeater of the extender with no problems.

I also have a Sonos setup but am not controlling it through the repeater. I set up multiple TV's and 4 Sonos zones for a pool house and around the pool area. Three Tv's are connected with a multi zone extender that all feed from one DirecTV box and I can control the DirecTV from any location with factory remotes through the extender's IR repeaters.

The cool thing is that with the matrix extender we have all the TV's perfectly synced for video and all 4 Sonos zones can play audio from the TV's in sync. No echo effect at all.

Hopefully Mag team brings a good remote on the 29th for you and they can get it setup within a few minutes.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
Palmese85, I wanted to let you know that today I set up a Samsung TV with an HDMI extender connected back to DirecTV. After connecting the extender and getting a signal through to the TV, I was able to program the Samsung remote to control the DirecTV through the IR repeater of the extender with no problems.

I also have a Sonos setup but am not controlling it through the repeater. I set up multiple TV's and 4 Sonos zones for a pool house and around the pool area. Three Tv's are connected with a multi zone extender that all feed from one DirecTV box and I can control the DirecTV from any location with factory remotes through the extender's IR repeaters.

The cool thing is that with the matrix extender we have all the TV's perfectly synced for video and all 4 Sonos zones can play audio from the TV's in sync. No echo effect at all.

Hopefully Mag team brings a good remote on the 29th for you and they can get it setup within a few minutes.

Brian

Hey Brian.
So they came, and struck out. They couldn’t figure out how to program the Samsung one remote. Remember these magnoliaguys are their hi end 100k job guys. I’m not sure why they are not getting it. They are blaming it on a possible software issue. But a lot of their answers have been conflicting with other answers given. Could it be my Samsung model (terrace) is so new that they need a update. They think that also ! They were having a hard time getting the channels to work with my cable box. They got that to work then lost that. Lol. My cable box remote works fine with the ir and the sound/ channels But took them 3 hours to figure that out. But no luck with the Sam remote
My initial goal here is to use my Samsung remote to control everything. Like they said it would. It’s works great in my home with my frame tv, Sonos amp and cable box. But that is ran by hdmi. (Short run). They can’t understand why it can’t work. Help!!
So I’m waiting now for the district manager to give me a game plan. He was talking about giving me a outdoor universal remote ( 600.00 value) for half price and no programming fee or a full refund I like the tv. But needs to work I saw a setup article from Sonos on using a tv remote through ir. I hope these guys are not that stupid. !!! Any info will help. Thanks again.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Not sure why they are having such a hard time. The remote should be paired to the TV and then select the input that the cable box is on and program the input for the cable box. The TV will cycle through different codes until one works and then they should lock it in.

Sorry you're going through this.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
They are having a problem with the ir. But like I said the ir is working with the cable box remote. The sensor light in the ir eye is not lighting up with the Sam remote. But works with cable remote ? Maybe a remote issue.

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
100% yes but the channel wouldn’t respond. Then at one point. They got it to work ,just the channels, but then lost it trying to figure out the control of volume with the Sonos amp This is what I was going to try on my own. See below.
But what is funny, they mentioned a possible faulty remote but never came back to that idea. I guess because it was operating the smart features and on/off.
faulty tv ? Faulty remote ? Or just not doing something correct ?

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Not being there it's hard to say for sure but it sounds more like they are trying to use one flasher to operate two devices. I will use a double flasher and make sure each device has it's own flasher stuck over the ir sensor.
Then you have to go into Sonos setup to tell it you are using IR. The IR sensor on the Amp is right below the play/pause button on the front.

Brian

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
In regards to the Sonos Support article you listed, Yes, they should have done that as well. If not, I would do it and see what happens.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
In regards to the Sonos Support article you listed, Yes, they should have done that as well. If not, I would do it and see what happens.

Brian
Hey Brian. So I just wanted to let you know that Im going to prob be getting a universal remote. A urc water prof universal remote. Ultimately after going back and forth and doing my research. The Samsung one remote is Bluetooth It cannot give ir signals, according to Samsung, to a cable box. Or it cannot give ir signals to a Sonos amp. Which are both 65 ft away Not sure why the magnolia guys would say that. Or act like it can be done. Plus they said it was done ??? Don’t know why. So they are giving me the remote half price and programming it for free. I’m not to happy with there so called expert consultation. And their flip flop opinions. But it is what it is. Do you know anything about this remote. URC. One last thing. They also said they might have a piece that could tie in my issue together utilizing the Sam remote. Any idea ? Thanks. They also offer me a full refund if I wanted it.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
They will probably offer you the MXW-920 plus a base station. It's a good remote but a little old fashioned compared to what is out there. Being outside, it will be a good way to go. Make sure they show you how it works before they leave.

The other option they are talking about may be a IR extender of some sort. I don't see how they think this will work if they can't get the existing IR extender to work.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
They will probably offer you the MXW-920 plus a base station. It's a good remote but a little old fashioned compared to what is out there. Being outside, it will be a good way to go. Make sure they show you how it works before they leave.

The other option they are talking about may be a IR extender of some sort. I don't see how they think this will work if they can't get the existing IR extender to work.

Brian
Unfortunately I’m prob going to take the refund and start over next season. But with moving the cable box and amp close to the tv but in the inside and utilize the Samsung One remote and it’s Bluetooth features and use hdmi’s Instead.

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
Brian
First let me thank you for all your knowledge.
So I decided with this journey to move all my components ( Sonos amp and cable box) to my den up against the exterior wall to my terrace outdoor tv. Hook everything up through hdmi. Magnolia came back and did it for me.
Well I must have bad luck. The audio worked fine. HDMI to the arc of the tv to the Sonos amp. Sound was playing great out of my outdoor speakers. But they couldn’t get the the cable box to work ( changing channels ) with the Samsung one remote. Lol. Regular hdmi from the tv to the cable box. Now, what amazes me is I have this setup in my home in my den with a Samsung frame tv and a another setup
In my bedroom with I believe a Samsung q70. No issue. Sam Remotes work great, Does everything. Called Samsung. Thry can’t figure it out. They are sending out a third party tv repair guy. The only thing I can think of is, magnolia gave me these hi end hdmi cables. 8k new on the market. Not sure why. Cost me over 200 a cable at 15ft. Could the cable be causing this. I know its cec that allows this to work. And those setting is on in the tv. What could it be ??? They- magnolia are blaming software or the cec is not playing well with the cable box. Samsung disagrees. Do you think a cable could cause this. Magnolia thinks not. Lmk when you have a chance. Thanks again. After this I will definitely get a refund. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks