What's new

! At Fox Studios with the Execs! Post Your Fox Questions Here and We Will Ask Away (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Regarding your UHD movie wishes: Without altering the movie radically from the way it looked you will benefit very little from those movies in UHD so I'd say you are pretty safe to stay away from the new format.

Exactly! Clearly UHD is not designed for classic film lovers but big blockbuster CGI films. Not a complaint. It is what it is.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly enough there are small improvements to be had going up to 4k that would be nice to have but most peopleprobably just wouldn't care for it:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=7614&d2=7612&s1=72453&s2=72429&i=0&l=0&a=1

I was surprised that Groundhog Day shows that level of improvement, I could also see improvements on The Guns of Navarone when comparing the 4k version to the BD. Add to that higher bit depth and DCI P3 color space and we have an interesting proposition except of course for the studios unwillingness to "just" release a catalog title without some HDR regrading and tempering, probably smaller companies will have to do that where a licensing arrangement is possible.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It would really be sad if we could not get the remaining TODD-AO productions onto bluray. TODD-AO transfers are what bluray is all about.
So-o-o-o-o-o-o true.

Please forgive, if the following questions have already been answered, but there are over 300 Posts to read...

Any updates on:
"Star!"
"Doctor Doolittle"
"Wilson"
"Roxie Hart"
and whether or not "The Sound of Music" will ever become available on a 4K/UHD disc?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they had said Doolittle was a possibility to be released through one of their license deals with the boutique labels, but they didn't specify which or when.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
So-o-o-o-o-o-o true.

Please forgive, if the following questions have already been answered, but there are over 300 Posts to read...

Any updates on:
"Star!"
"Doctor Doolittle"
"Wilson"
"Roxie Hart"
and whether or not "The Sound of Music" will ever become available on a 4K/UHD disc?

Wasn't Star! mentioned in the Twilight Time thread?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
All I remember being said was that TT has a Todd-AO film among their holdings for release, and we all speculated that it must be Star! Doctor Dolittle or Can-Can.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
One of the grotesque oversights at Fox is their disregard for the MTM catalog that includes one of my favorite shows, but also, likely the most intelligently written 'must see' hospital drama ever - ST. ELSEWHERE. This should have come to at least DVD by now in a complete series package. I would sincerely champion a Blu-ray release. Heck, Universal's doing it with Miami Vice and Knight Rider through Mill Creek. Surely Fox could ante up a little lolly and get this one slapped to disc.

With a killer cast, including Denzel Washington, Mark Harmon, Howie Mandel, Ed Bagley Jr., Norman Lloyd, David Birney, Ed Flanders, David Morse, William Daniels, Bruce Greenwood, Ronny Cox - basically a whose who of great names, so many unmentioned, an iconic theme from Dave Grusin, and, one of the most extraordinary series finales in the history of TV...what's not to love? Come on Fox - distribute this to a third party and get it out there for the public to rediscover. It truly is one of THE GREAT SHOWS from the 1980s!!!! Period!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Seems artificial to me, too not a nice move and it will not endear people to the studios.
I don't know...personally, I do not find that Powell&Pressburger post especially disrespectful, only expressing frustration from someone who has evidently invested in a home theater system that includes Atmos and is wanting to find software to bring it to life. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't know...personally, I do not find that Powell&Pressburger post especially disrespectful, only expressing frustration from someone who has evidently invested in a home theater system that includes Atmos and is wanting to find software to bring it to life. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

That's why I wrote that it seems artificial to me, too (to only give Atmos to buyers of UHD discs). I agree he was polite and reasonable so I hope that Powell&Pressburger did not also read it the other way and most important I hope that the studios change their ways regarding 3D sound being tied to UHD :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of the grotesque oversights at Fox is their disregard for the MTM catalog that includes one of my favorite shows, but also, likely the most intelligently written 'must see' hospital drama ever - ST. ELSEWHERE. This should have come to at least DVD by now in a complete series package. I would sincerely champion a Blu-ray release. Heck, Universal's doing it with Miami Vice and Knight Rider through Mill Creek. Surely Fox could ante up a little lolly and get this one slapped to disc.

With a killer cast, including Denzel Washington, Mark Harmon, Howie Mandel, Ed Bagley Jr., Norman Lloyd, David Birney, Ed Flanders, David Morse, William Daniels, Bruce Greenwood, Ronny Cox - basically a whose who of great names, so many unmentioned, an iconic theme from Dave Grusin, and, one of the most extraordinary series finales in the history of TV...what's not to love? Come on Fox - distribute this to a third party and get it out there for the public to rediscover. It truly is one of THE GREAT SHOWS from the 1980s!!!! Period!

Day one pre-order from me...if it ever happens.

Like Nick, I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
James has stopped answering the questions because he's very busy these days.

I just pinged him.

He said "There are no plans for a 4K Ultra HD release for the OMEN."

When I asked him if there would be a Blu-ray release based on a 4k scan, he replied, "no to that too."

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
James has stopped answering the questions because he's very busy these days.

I just pinged him.

He said "There are no plans for a 4K Ultra HD release for the OMEN."

When I asked him if there would be a Blu-ray release based on a 4k scan, he replied, "no to that too."

Thx.

That's very disappointing to hear. Escpecially after hearing that the movie was already restored in 4K and it's celebrating its 40th anniversary anniversary this year.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
That's weird, given the all the talk from Fox regarding Omen on this thread.

Ron - can you ask James about Michael Mann's Heat. In an interview for Variety last year he said that Fox will release a newly restored special edition Blu-ray this year. Any updates on that one?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Noah,

I can't continue to go back and forth with James. I have to respect his email privacy.

I have informed him that there were questions in this thread and when he has time he should come look at them.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Noah,

I can't continue to go back and forth with James. I have to respect his email privacy.

I have informed him that there were questions in this thread and when he has time he should come look at them.

I understand that, Ron. Thx. I didn't want to turn this into Q&A :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for understanding, Noah. That was my fear.

I noticed this thread. I simply shot off an email to Mr. Finn. He was kind enough to immediately respond. There was an additional clarification needed so I had to email him a second time (as you will see in his replies above).

To send him any more emails would just be taking advantage of his generosity and time.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Day one pre-order from me...if it ever happens.

Like Nick, I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting...
Just shake your Snow Globe one more time and maybe something will happen ...;)
one the worst endings to a TV show of all time ... we've been watching the musings of an autistic child looking at a snow globe :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks