What's new

Arrow Video Launching in the US (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
FoxyMulder said:
It's stiff competition for other small labels who don't currently invest in new film scans, i wish Arrow had the rights to films like Zulu, The Quiet Man and High Noon, i believe they would have spent the money to have gorgeous looking blu ray versions.
The Quiet Man, now your talking.
haineshisway said:
I don't really care one way or the other - I've bought a few of their discs, been happy with a few and not so happy with a few. I don't know why you would go to that land (that I'm not keen on this news) since my post is specifically about the business model they're using to fund the move.
Strange not to care, I think it is rather exciting times for the US Blu Ray market.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
The Quiet Man, now your talking.

Strange not to care, I think it is rather exciting times for the US Blu Ray market.
Strange? Why? If they issue stuff I like I'll buy it. If they don't, I won't. There are plenty of exciting things in the US Blu-ray market - I buy five or six discs a week usually.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
That's my take-away. If Arrow's work on a particular title is good, and that title interests me, then bring 'em on...the more the merrier!

But this isn't 2011 anymore, with N.A. Blu-ray output awash in left-over HD masters from the DVD era. Sony has lead the way on this, but WB and Fox have also been rejuvenating their assets at an impressive rate. I can't remember the last month I did not have a left-over stack of yet-to-be-watched new catalogue releases going into the next month (11 from Sept. beckoning me right now). Every studio is tooling up for 4k, and Blu-ray fans seem to be the earliest indirect beneficiaries.

So there is lots of great re-mastering work being done over here - perhaps not every title that might appeal to horror/thriller/indie/art fans, and perhaps not on the desired timetable - but nevertheless, it is getting done...and apparently at an accelerated rate. Forgetting for a moment Twilight Time and Criterion who have 4k Sony and Fox remasters coming out their keesters these days, just look at the stepped up output and quality from the WAC...with hints of much more to come in '15.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
Strange? Why? If they issue stuff I like I'll buy it. If they don't, I won't. There are plenty of exciting things in the US Blu-ray market - I but five or six discs a week usually.
But with as much love and attention to detail...............the only ones I have seen are Criterion & Synapse?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
But with as much love and attention to detail...............the only ones I have seen are Criterion & Synapse?
Not sure why you want to carry this on. We all know you love Arrow, we get it. I have many Blu-rays from the US with great attention to detail in the one place it counts for me - the transfer/sound. I don't care about extras or booklets or fancy packaging, I only care that the image represents the film being presented in a proper way. Arrow has gotten that right and Arrow has gotten that wrong (sometimes not their fault) just like every other label anywhere in the world including Criterion. I buy what I want from whatever company is issuing it. When I see what's on the horizon for Arrow I'll decide what discs are for me. In the meantime, nothing is on the horizon save for promises of things to come, happily, for them, funded by fans.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
Not sure why you want to carry this on. We all know you love Arrow, we get it. I have many Blu-rays from the US with great attention to detail in the one place it counts for me - the transfer/sound. I don't care about extras or booklets or fancy packaging, I only care that the image represents the film being presented in a proper way. Arrow has gotten that right and Arrow has gotten that wrong (sometimes not their fault) just like every other label anywhere in the world including Criterion. I buy what I want from whatever company is issuing it. When I see what's on the horizon for Arrow I'll decide what discs are for me. In the meantime, nothing is on the horizon save for promises of things to come, happily, for them, funded by fans.
Oooooooooooh I do see a little bitterness there. Never mind I think I know why. Love Arrow yes I do because in recent years they have gotten it right along with Criterion & Synapse............the rest not so much for this type of genre.

More information here;

http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/arrow-video-usa-faq.html

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have posted here in the past about Arrow and some of their releases that I have imported. I did once have a post up here about their region free blu-ray of Brian De Palma's Obsession which is a wonderful "Criterion" level package. If you don't own it I'd go order it right now.

Obsession.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Catching up on the thread after having found out about this last night. From what I can glean:

The Indigogo has nothing to do with getting funding to move to the states. The way I read everything Arrow has posted, they are launching next year. The Indigogo is basically a massive pre-order to get a head start on demand/interest so they can plan 2015.

They are sticking with cult/genre. Their website is broken up into categories, and the Arrow Video is what is coming to NA. Titles like Sullivan's Travels and other Criterion type names are on their site under ARROW ACADEMY. Sounds like they want to keep their mutually beneficial relationship with the Criterion Collection open. They have posted on their blog that ARROW ACADEMY titles aren't part of the deal.

I was a bit concerned for our independents. I'm a huge fan of both Vinegar Syndrome and Grindhouse Releasing, as well as some of the other listed above like Blue Underground, Synapse etc. I don't see Arrow being a threat since their releases are either more international (based on the first three) or more in the realm of Shout/Scream Factory.

Reading here, that the main reason to launch in NA was to gain better control of the masters, only good news to me. Sounds like Shout/Scream was mucking up their plans. I own a ton of Shout/Scream discs, I'm okay with them getting competition to have to better themselves. And if this means some genre titles are rescued from Twilight Times limited edition model, I'm all for that too.

I haven't chipped into their campaign yet, but I'm leaning towards it. I want to see what the next couple titles are. I might go for the 3 year gold plan.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Brian Kidd said:
The glory days of physical media are behind us, sadly.
Please don't hammer that last nail into the physical media coffin just yet. From the studios' perspectives, perhaps this is true, but from my perspective, never. I spend a lot of money on movies and if physical media ceases to exist, so does my spending. I will NOT support streaming. I just purchased a beautiful new 60 inch plasma TV, which I'm hoping will last me at least 6 to 8 years, and I don't plan on ditching it for the "pleasure" of watching films on a smartphone, iPad or anything that that requires me to stare into, not stare at. I refuse to put up with pixelization, load times, bandwith limitations or any of that nonsense.

There seems to be a renewed interest in catalog titles judging from the explosion of indie labels popping up, and not just ANY label just out to make a quick buck - these are companies run by passionate fans hellbent on respecting the films they release regardless of genre. The studios want to abandon physical media, fine. There are plenty of true film fans out there running labels who are ready and willing to take up the slack.That's where I'll spend MY money.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Oooooooooooh I do see a little bitterness there. Never mind I think I know why. Love Arrow yes I do because in recent years they have gotten it right along with Criterion & Synapse............the rest not so much for this type of genre.

More information here;

http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/arrow-video-usa-faq.html
No, but I do see someone trying to cause trouble. Please do point out the bitterness in my post - I must be blind because I don't see it. None of my posts contain any bitterness, just a little astonishment at the crowd funding aspect and that's about it. And you think you know why? Tell all of us what you think the reason is, I'm sure we'lI all be fascinated to see it. I am not the one who repeatedly feels they must try to cheerlead here. I and others are taking a wait and see approach. As I have stated at least twice - I'll buy what I'm interested in and pass on what I am not interested in, just as I have with all Arrow releases. I love their Obsession Blu-ray, Sullivan's Travels could, IMO, look a little better, didn't like their Phantom of the Paradise at ALL (no need to defend it - we know you love it and that's fine), and their Bava titles are all fine.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm actually more curious as to why the crowdfunding aspect astonishes you Bruce. It's a common enough funding model these days for smaller companies. The good part is that none of us are forced to participate unless we want to, and if it works out, then Arrow will put out better quality releases.

As for Arrow being compared to Criterion, I would have thought such a comparison was more apt for Eureka, with their Masters of Cinema line.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm tempted to throw some cash...obviously not the 3/10 year deal.If I get to choose the films I get...but don't think it works that way.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Persianimmortal said:
I'm actually more curious as to why the crowdfunding aspect astonishes you Bruce. It's a common enough funding model these days for smaller companies. The good part is that none of us are forced to participate unless we want to, and if it works out, then Arrow will put out better quality releases.

As for Arrow being compared to Criterion, I would have thought such a comparison was more apt for Eureka, with their Masters of Cinema line.
It does astonish me when I see an established company do this - why wouldn't it? Crowd funding seems to have morphed into a whole other thing, I think. As I said, if this is the future, then maybe I'll just use this model and do the same :)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I wonder if Arrow could get ahold of the Black Sabbath and Black Sunday since Kino has no legal right to release the AIP versions now. They have been the only company that has been able to release the AIP versions. I know that Shout had indicated that they wanted to release the AIP version of Witchfinder General and Kino had Black Sabbath and Black Sunday cancelled.

Also is it possible for a company like Shout to license Arrow's transfer if they have the US rights that Arrow holds in the UK? That seems to me to be less expensive than doing it yourself.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
FrancisP said:
I wonder if Arrow could get ahold of the Black Sabbath and Black Sunday since Kino has no legal right to release the AIP versions now. They have been the only company that has been able to release the AIP versions. I know that Shout had indicated that they wanted to release the AIP version of Witchfinder General and Kino had Black Sabbath and Black Sunday cancelled.

Also is it possible for a company like Shout to license Arrow's transfer if they have the US rights that Arrow holds in the UK? That seems to me to be less expensive than doing it yourself.
The AIP versions of those films ARE on the Arrow Blu-rays in the UK.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
No, but I do see someone trying to cause trouble. Please do point out the bitterness in my post - I must be blind because I don't see it. None of my posts contain any bitterness, just a little astonishment at the crowd funding aspect and that's about it. And you think you know why? Tell all of us what you think the reason is, I'm sure we'lI all be fascinated to see it. I am not the one who repeatedly feels they must try to cheerlead here. I and others are taking a wait and see approach. As I have stated at least twice - I'll buy what I'm interested in and pass on what I am not interested in, just as I have with all Arrow releases. I love their Obsession Blu-ray, Sullivan's Travels could, IMO, look a little better, didn't like their Phantom of the Paradise at ALL (no need to defend it - we know you love it and that's fine), and their Bava titles are all fine.
Then perhaps I am wrong, but that is the way it came across as most of your posts contain some negativity towards the announcement, I am certainly not a cheerleader for Arrow as I have recently been asking questions about their earlier releases which quite frankly in some cases are awful.

As for the "crowd funding" funding aspect you keep mentioning this is not the case. This is as far as I can see a pre order to see what sort of demand will be forthcoming from the US.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm really confused at some of this. Will not the Arrow Releases depend on what licenses they obtain for the U.S.? What they release in The U.K. Would not necessarily be released over here. As for as the "funding" goes, I would not "pre-order" anything I did not know what the name of the Blu-ray is. Suppose I get the 3 for 65 and they don't put out a title I want, them I'm screwed. I'm 100% in favor of Arrow moving into the U.S. the more the merrie, but I'll wait for title announcements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks