What's new

Arrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The CW's take on the DC Comics superhero Green Arrow premieres tonight at 8 PM. This is a world without superpowers, but a lot of DC Comics supporting characters will be popping up.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I quite enjoyed the premiere episode. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, and I'll certainly be back for more.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I had read that the series was going for a darker tone than Smallville and that was apparent in the pilot. The acting was kind of a mixed bag, but I expect (and hope) that some of the cast will grow into their roles. Had to shake my head at the abandoned warehouse as a base of operations, but this is a comic inspired series; so I guess that works within the confines of the genre.
I'll stick around and see where this goes.
- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it, but it was kind of funny that the exterior for the Queen family mansion was the same as Lex Luthor's mansion in "Smallville." The Vancouver area must only have one gothic castle available for filming.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Adam Lenhardt said:
I enjoyed it, but it was kind of funny that the exterior for the Queen family mansion was the same as Lex Luthor's mansion in "Smallville." The Vancouver area must only have one gothic castle available for filming.
That's just like "Stately Wayne Manor" that has been used as the exterior on countless TV shows.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also enjoyed the pilot and will be watching until I loose interest.
Hopefully it will do better than Birds of Prey.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm still enjoying the show, it definitely fills that "Smallville" slot for me, but I was struck tonight that the person you don't want to be is one of these crooks' henchman. The crook gets hauled away to prison, meanwhile the bodies of a half dozen of his subordinates are littered around the scene.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed the second episode as well, but I'm not quite clear on why Oliver feels his worldly identity has to be of a dissolute playboy. Can't he do good works as Oliver Queen AND take care of those who have skirted the law as Green Arrow? What part of his reasoning am I missing?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/324364/arrow-the-cw#post_3990213
I enjoyed the second episode as well, but I'm not quite clear on why Oliver feels his worldly identity has to be of a dissolute playboy. Can't he do good works as Oliver Queen AND take care of those who have skirted the law as Green Arrow? What part of his reasoning am I missing?

I think it's because when he left, that's who he was. And if he make a radical shift there to good-guy, it will be harder for him to get close to the people on his list.
Really enjoyed the second ep.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, this show is a bit pulpy at times, but it does completely fill that Smallville type void. Actually, CW has a pretty good Wednesday block here (for me). I'm not sure how it works out in the ratings, but I enjoy both of these.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The ratings have been fine, definitely up from the shows that occupied the two hour slot last year.

I'm really enjoying the show and was surprised and pleased at the twist at the end of last week's episode (just now catching up with it). However, that bratty kid sister has got to go. There was some suggestion that maybe she was going to change (and anything would be an improvement), but she's a wasted character in a show that's already very full.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I'm really enjoying the show and was surprised and pleased at the twist at the end of last week's episode (just now catching up with it). However, that bratty kid sister has got to go. There was some suggestion that maybe she was going to change (and anything would be an improvement), but she's a wasted character in a show that's already very full.
If they go in the direction of the comics...
...she'll eventually bottom out with her substance abuse and Oliver will be the one to get her back to sobriety. In the end, she'll end up as his sidekick Speedy.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Cliff-hanger to tonight's episode. I wonder how Oliver will get out of it. Things started to look promising with Laurel, but then he got a bit carried away there ... Digg said it right after that - t he needed someone else to show him what he was becoming in his war.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks to a super special 30 Rock on NBC tonight and the BF recording Survivor, the Tivo didn't grab Arrow. Ggggrrrrrr.....

I haven't had good luck with the show lately. Last week's episode was missing the first 20 minutes of dialogue and now this. Guess I need to find tonight's episode online tomorrow night.

Something struck me watching 1.03 tonight: this show looks, sounds and acts a lot better than Smallville really ever did. Arrow looks expensive and like a legit production where Smallville, even in the later years, felt like the junior varsity playing around. I've been very impressed by the show so far.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here in Chicago, tonight's episode was preempted due to a Bulls game. It will be shown on Saturday

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks