What's new

Arrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Tonight had some excellent production values. Actually, the way they are playing up the backstory is really pretty impressive stuff. This definitely appears to be a cut above normal CW fare in regards to the budget it seems.
But I liked the way the story fleshed out.. but you've got to think the girl knows it's him after she saw him in the Ski mask, she has to be figuring it out

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The dialog is as bad as anything in the later seasons of "Smallville", but I'm really enjoying the way the show's hurtling the plot forward.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think it's more sophisticated in characterization and plotting than Smallville was, certainly in its early years. I'm really enjoying the way things are being developed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The dialog may have some clunkers, but you know this show just seems to work it out. I really enjoyed last night's episode a good deal. Light fun, some good moments. I have a feeling this is going to be a staple at CW for a while.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/324364/arrow-the-cw#post_3999084
The dialog may have some clunkers, but you know this show just seems to work it out. I really enjoyed last night's episode a good deal. Light fun, some good moments. I have a feeling this is going to be a staple at CW for a while.

Yes. it's their biggest hit in years. I'm really enjoying it, too. Just a nice hour of adventure each week.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I loved Laurel's line about the fishnets. While not groundbreaking, amazing "film-making," I am thoroughly enjoying the pulpy adventure every week as well.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Never seen a single episode, but read that John Barrowman from "Torchwood" will be starring in several episodes so decided to give it a try..
Missed the first year and the first few episodes of season two of "The Walking Dead" so hope I can catch up to this series the same way.
Read a lot of positive things about it, so looking forward to joining in and trying to catch the older episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I think it's more sophisticated in characterization and plotting than Smallvillewas, certainly in its early years. I'm really enjoying the way things are being developed.
I don't disagree. The dialog is clunky as hell, but the storytelling's a definite step up from "Smallville", which really twisted itself in knots to remain a prequel story. I think giving Oliver a sister was a change to the mythology that was a real positive because it made him responsible to someone other than just himself.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoy how they find ways to tie in DC Comics mythology in a tangential way. Dinah Lance works for CNRI = Canary. The Royal Flush Gang wears playing card hockey masks for its robberies.
I'm also enjoying how it's a family drama intertwined with a superhero action show. It grounds things.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This was the first episode where I could actually stand Oliver's sister. Glad to see some decent character development for her. As for the mother, . . . .

Really liked the episode overall and the way they're expanding all the characters in such interesting ways.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
When I look at Smallville Season 1 to this, there are moments I wish this was a bit more polished, but it's the most polished superhero vehicle I've seen on TV yet. It manages to hit the right high points, have decent action, and yet it has fun with the basic concept. I did enjoy that they are giving some meat to the surrounding cast to breathe some interest to them, and this is a show that seems built to flesh out the core concept.

The best news for this show is that week by week it seems to build and improve on the setup.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
LOVED arrow last night. Really great stuff, I'm not sure.. who is the girl going to end up being from the comics,do people know? But I loved that dynamic, and thought the way it played out was way better than I expected.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't think the actress was all that good, but I did like the dynamic established. Was very surprised with the way Tommy's storyline developed. That should make for interesting viewing in the weeks ahead.

Once again, little sis lecturing Oliver on his duties as a son rang a little false to me. There were plenty of people there to help her. Going after the perp seemed a natural thing for him to attempt. He didn't leave her alone on the pavement as the sister stated.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure.. who is the girl going to end up being from the comics,do people know?
The Huntress. There are two versions of the character. One, Helena Wayne, is the love child of Bruce Wayne and Catwoman. The other, Helena Bertinelli, is the one the show's going with. But while the comics character is also the scion of a top Mafia family that ends up launching a vendetta against the Mafia, her origin story is different, with her entire family being killed by a rival mob family.
MattH. said:
I didn't think the actress was all that good, but I did like the dynamic established. Was very surprised with the way Tommy's storyline developed. That should make for interesting viewing in the weeks ahead.
None of the actors of this show are all that good, and she far exceeds Katie Cassidy on the hotness scale. The actress is Australian, so part of the problem could be just trying to hold onto the American accent. Anna Torv's performance was similarly bumpy in the early episodes of "Fringe" for the same reason.
Once again, little sis lecturing Oliver on his duties as a son rang a little false to me. There were plenty of people there to help her. Going after the perp seemed a natural thing for him to attempt. He didn't leave her alone on the pavement as the sister stated.
I think it's a difference in mentality. The Queens are people that have grown accustomed to having people around to take care of things for them. Oliver developed self-sufficiency and initiative stuck on that island for five years. Thea never did. I did think her "you need to confide in someone" speech was redundant since we'd just gotten it more or less word for word a couple episodes back.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We're just gonna have to disagree about Jessica De Gouw being hotter than Katie Cassidy. :) Katie can light up a room when she turns it up, (I've seen it happen in-person at Comic-Con during the "Arrow" panel) not quite sure about Jessica yet, who reminds me of a more athletic Liv Tyler, but there's something a little off about Jessica's face.
So, finally caught up with "Arrow", and it's been a good ride so far. So glad they've dispensed with all the "Clark-Lana moon eyes" that sapped Smallville's earlier seasons. "Arrow" is a much more adult show with human characters, both in strengths and faults, which makes for more dramatic tension.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
We're just gonna have to disagree about Jessica De Gouw being hotter than Katie Cassidy.
+1. I've been a Katie Cassidy fan since her stint as the original Ruby/Lilith on Supernatural.
- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was really ready to throw that sister out the window again tonight, but from the looks of it, it appears she and Oliver have turned a corner, and not a moment too soon.

Enjoyed the revelations and look forward to more adventure in the new year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm out. Deleted the season pass after New Years. It has no emotional connection for me. Oliver exists as an unempathetic solo story, with no relationship to any other character. His sidekick, Diggle (?), is ambivalent at best. He best friend is an unrelated, and not interesting, story as he pursues Laurel. Contrast to Smallville with its strong emotional themes: Clark loves Lana; Chloe loves Clark. Pete and Clark are best fiends, and Clark and Lex are bound together as brothers, friends, and foes. I wanted to like Arrow--and it's not bad tv--but it had nothing to hold my attention.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I still like it, and am hoping we'll see Laurel as Black Canary one day (hopefully before season 3). I also find it's a better show when I fast-forward through the island flashbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks