What's new
World Wide Stereo

Are bipoles effective over large distances? (1 Viewer)

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of setting up my home theater and have come upon a problem. I have a 5.1 system and the bipole surrounds will be mounted behind the listening position. However, the wall that is behind the position is approximately 10-12 feet away. There is no way to mount the bipoles on the side walls (window issues). The front and center speakers will be approximately 5-7 feet away.

My question is this: Are the bipoles still going to be effective over such a great distance? The receiver supposedly can compensate for speaker distance, but will I be loosing a lot of sound with this configuration? These are wall-mounted bipoles and can not be placed on a stand behind the listening position.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Ten to twelve feet isn't a "great" distance if you think about it. I would imagine you'd experience better surround effects with the distance you have versus something right next to your seating position.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Sure they are. You'll just, AS ALWAYS, have to calibrate with an SPL meter to compensate for the longer distance. What's in your receiver is for calculating delay so that from the prime position the sound waves hit you at the same time they're supposed to. The levels are much more important.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys! That's why I love this forum.

/newbie with lots of questions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks