What's new
World Wide Stereo

"ARC" capability (1 Viewer)

can someone "dumb down" what arc is? its purpose. (scenario using it)
I have a Samsung tv and one of the hdmis is an arc one. right now I have the direct box hooked in it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ARC replaces a toslink. It saves you $5.

ARC problems...

1. Requires CEC.
2. Requires CEC
3. Requires CEC
4 Requires CEC
5. Only "guaranteed to work*" if the TV and sound system are the same manufacturer.

*There is currently a thread where a guy bought an LG TV and soundbar. Both have ARC. ARC refuses(apparently) to work. And if "ARC doesn't work"(according to the manual) there is no other way to use the TV remote to control the sound of the soundbar. (and whatever LG genius it was that decided you "had to use ARC" for the remote to control the other piece...instead of the ability to use a code in the remote, is an abject moron)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Cables typically have direction for signal flow (e.g., "from" the receiver "to" the TV, or "from" the TV "to" the receiver), and can only handle one direct per cable. ARC breaks that rule by allowing the HDMI to flow to the TV for some uses but the audio to flow to the receiver for other uses. The primary instance of audio flowing back to the receiver is when the TV is processing the incoming signal instead of the it going to the receiver first (usually the OTA signal, or a cable without a cable box).

If you don't need that capability (and you don't appear to) it operates as a standard HDMI channel.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It helps to understand "exactly what HDMI even is"...

It is, essentially, two pairs of ethernet cable. Yep, a bunch of 18-22guage pairs of wires. No big mystery.

HDMI audio and video doesn't even use all the pairs. Hence they've had to come up with features to use all the extra pairs.

Eventually, maybe, power over HDMI. One day BD players, STB and streaming devices will only have the HDMI. As they'll receive their power from the display.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I use the arc output from my Vizeo tv to my Denon receiver.

Works fine for me.

I think if you can use it then use it.

why wouldn't you, also one less wire to be running behind the tv.

Btw Sam, I see "reviewer" under oyur name, Do you have any current reviews I can look at?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks