What's new

Apple TV 4k remote and Samsung TV (1 Viewer)

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
I coulda swore at one time the remote for my Apple TV 4K would control a lot more of my TV and even make the TV screen display the volume up/down when you changed volume but now, it only shows the change on my Samsung soundbar's screen and even to get it to do that, I have to leave the TV control set to auto. If I set it to Tv/IR, receiver/IR, the TV/soundbar volume doesn't respond. I figured I could just re-learn the remote but being that my TV's remote works through bluetooth, there is no IR signal coming from the remote for the Apple TV to learn. Is there anyway to get the Apple TV remote to control the TV? Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
AppleTV remotes, as in, the ones that come with the AppleTV operate ONLY an AppleTV. They don't learn or control anything else. Is it possible this is a different remote you're referring to? Also, I've never heard of a TV that uses bluetooth only for remote control. The AppleTV 4K can use either the proprietary (non-IR) function of the included remote, or it can also use IR codes from a programmed remote.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
AppleTV remotes, as in, the ones that come with the AppleTV operate ONLY an AppleTV. They don't learn or control anything else.

Is that true of all models? My AppleTV 4K remote will control the volume on my receiver, or if I’m watching on the TV with the receiver off, will control the TV volume. There’s no functionality to change channels or inputs or anything like that but it sure is nice to have the volume up and down settings. I never configured it that way - I’m a “use the remote each device came with” kinda guy so it was a surprise when I discovered that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is that true of all models? My AppleTV 4K remote will control the volume on my receiver, or if I’m watching on the TV with the receiver off, will control the TV volume. There’s no functionality to change channels or inputs or anything like that but it sure is nice to have the volume up and down settings. I never configured it that way - I’m a “use the remote each device came with” kinda guy so it was a surprise when I discovered that.
OK, it could be a CEC function. I never use CEC, and disable it on all devices, but I have to admit it might control volume that way.

If that's the case, it could be that CEC has been disabled somehow. I just can't answer anything about CEC, which I find to be far more of a hassle than anything.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
OK, it could be a CEC function. I never use CEC, and disable it on all devices, but I have to admit it might control volume that way.

If that's the case, it could be that CEC has been disabled somehow. I just can't answer anything about CEC, which I find to be far more of a hassle than anything.

I definitely didn’t enable CEC but can’t speak to whether it comes on by default.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I need to correct myself. At least on the AppleTV 4K 2nd gen, it can be taught a volume control. I’ll have to check the 1st gen.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and just to clarify, it can be set to adjust its output level, which would adjust the level regardless of the playback method.

I forgot about that. I turn all that stuff off by default.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s usually on by default but it could simply be adjusting the output volume of the AppleTV itself.

No, it’s actually adjusting the receiver and TV, depending on which is in use. The onscreen display for each device pops up when the volume button is pressed, so if it’s the receiver, I’ll see Onkyo’s OSD, and if it’s the TV volume, I’ll see TCL’s OSD.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
AppleTV remotes, as in, the ones that come with the AppleTV operate ONLY an AppleTV. They don't learn or control anything else. Is it possible this is a different remote you're referring to?
There is a learn function for the remote under the settings and no, it’s the original remote that came with my Apple TV.
Also, I've never heard of a TV that uses bluetooth only for remote control. The AppleTV 4K can use either the proprietary (non-IR) function of the included remote, or it can also use IR codes from a programmed remote.
I haven’t either but this TV is linked to its remote via Bluetooth, or something. I know it’s not RF because if memory serves me correctly, I had to pair my current remote to my TV a few years ago when I bought a new one for it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, it’s actually adjusting the receiver and TV, depending on which is in use. The onscreen display for each device pops up when the volume button is pressed, so if it’s the receiver, I’ll see Onkyo’s OSD, and if it’s the TV volume, I’ll see TCL’s OSD.
The only way that could happen would be with CEC.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
We are able to turn on/off the living room tv as well as controlling the volume using the 2nd gen ATV4K remote. The master and guest bedrooms are volume only since they are 1st gen ATV4K with black Siri remotes. I would have to double check in the morning but I think I have CEC enabled on all three. In the HT, CEC is disabled on everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks