What's new

Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple just announced they are upgrading all HD purchases to 4K. For Free. GAME CHANGED

Recommended settings link:

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They showed clips in 4K/HDR from Spiderman homecoming so titles will probably start rolling in when the new apple tv ships on September 22.

Btw, they say that they will support both HDR10 and DV. Also, Disney was missing from the studio logos they showed providing content.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I haven't been keeping track - have they finally included the Amazon app?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They showed clips in 4K/HDR from Spiderman homecoming so titles will probably start rolling in when the new apple tv ships on September 22.

Btw, they say that they will support both HDR10 and DV. Also, Disney was missing from the studio logos they showed providing content.

Not a surprise. Disney is also pulling their content from Netflix in prepping the start of their own streaming service, correct?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few questions for whoever is familiar with Apple TV:

1. Will HDR be supported on Amazon and Vudu when those services are available?
  2. Also, I assume the automatic upgrades of movies from HDX to UHD are only for titles purchased through iTunes, correct? This would not be available for any UltraViolet codes which have been redeemed elsewhere?
  3. Is the NHL app available on this device for streaming games?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They specified that it would be supported in Amazon. They didn't mention Vudu at all, but they added the app a week or two ago. And yes, only codes and purchases made on iTunes. I'm pretty sure the NHL app is available on this device.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The remote got a slight change. The menu button is now embedded in the track pad. The hope is the asymmetry will help you be able to tell which way is up based on feel.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The current AppleTV can't stream full bitrate MKV files. They have to be transcoded down to a lower bitrate MP4 or MV4 file.

Will the new atv with its boosted A10X be able to stream full Dolby Atmos blu-ray quality files?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Will the new atv with its boosted A10X be able to stream full Dolby Atmos blu-ray quality files?

The hardware is capable of doing Atmos as it supports EAC-3, but it's not explicitly listed as having Atmos, so a future software upgrade maybe?

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm assuming 4K iTunes movies will be streaming only via Apple TV device and not for downloading to a hard-drive, correct?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A few questions for whoever is familiar with Apple TV:

Is the NHL app available on this device for streaming games?

It's on their current iterations so I see no reason why it wouldn't be. I use an Apple TV now to watch NHL.TV.

Very excited about this upgrade. I'll definitely be getting one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the answers, David and Wayne. One last question -- does Apple TV support IR codes for remote control? I would want to control the device with my Harmony universal remote. The lower Shield TV does not support IR remotes unless you buy an additional device.

My Roku Ultra has been acting flaky since the last few firmware updates. Right now the issues are just with Amazon -- excessively loud volume to the point of distortion, and HDCP errors when attempting to play 4K content. The latter can be resolved by performing a reboot, but it's annoying.

It would be nice to be able to use a single device for streaming. I currently only stream three channels -- Amazon, Vudu, and NHL.tv -- but could see using iTunes if reports of less expensive 4K UHD rentals through them are true.

Right now, I have three different methods of streaming, and all three are missing something:
  1. Roku Ultra -- supports Amazon in 4K + HDR10 (with the issues mentioned above) and NHL, but only supports Vudu in 4K with no Dolby Vision HDR.
  2. Sony X-800 UHD player -- supports Amazon and Vudu in 4K, but no HDR support for either app. No NHL.tv
  3. Vizio M70-D3 4K display -- supports Amazon in 4K (but no HDR yet), Vudu in 4K + Dolby Vision via built-in apps. NHL, though, is only supported by the more cumbersome casting method, which requires using a smartphone or tablet to cast the app to the display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks