What's new

Apple spring event April 20 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The new Apple TV 4K starts at $179 for 32GB of storage and will be available to purchase starting on April 30th. A 64GB model will also be available for $199. New revamped remote.

If you can, go view the rerun of the event as it shows that the TV can be calibrated with your iPhone

View attachment 95080
I will probably buy one of those 32GB to replace one of my three ATV4K units. Most likely the one in main HT.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could use a new iPad, but I hardly use my current one now so I'll probably pass on that upgrade. However, I still have a 6S iPhone that I will definitely upgrade later this year probably during the Fall.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will probably buy one of those 32GB to replace one of my three ATV4K units. Most likely the one in main HT.

I am still trying to justify the upgrade as I have no issues with my AT4k.

It does handle 4k @60FPS better, but I am not certain I have any real-world need for that at the moment.

However, I will slowly replace the 3 units across my home, all with 32GB models. Have to get an iPad first then Airtags. Priorities.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am still trying to justify the upgrade as I have no issues with my AT4k.

It does handle 4k @60FPS better, but I am not certain I have any real-world need for that at the moment.

However, I will slowly replace the 3 units across my home, all with 32GB models. Have to get an iPad first then Airtags. Priorities.
What's so special about this new iPad that your current one doesn't have? What is Airtags? Nevermind on the Airtags.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What's so special about this new iPad that your current one doesn't have? What is Airtags?

My current iPad which I sold shortly prior to this event was 3 years old.

I am getting a device that is incredibly faster and has a new LED display.

Just basically getting a more modern device.

Airtags? Think of TILE. Do you know about that technology? It is a small tag that attaches to your keys or anything else you might lose and need to locate. I will try and find you a video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
These new M1 iMacs remind me of the disappointments that came with the announcements of the AIR, MBP, and Mini late last year.

This is yet another entry model that may appease the casual user but frustrates anyone looking for something more powerful.

You are only getting the smallest iMac at this point, knowing that there are 27" and possibly 30" models in the pipeline....but when?

These iMacs only max out at 8GB of ram?! You gotta be kidding. I am hoping (as you can't see it on the site now) you can add an additional 8GB to the top configurations but that's something I have to investigate.

Personally, I would rather have gotten rid of that chin design in favor of what would have looked like an iPad slapped on a stand. Of course, that would mean the device would not be able to deliver the incredible sound it promises.

Ultimately, I could care less what they do with the iMac line as I prefer using a Macbook Pro with an external display to get the best of both worlds. However, I know how many members here were hoping for something better. And does this mean another year's wait to get larger models with MX2 chips inside them?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is yet another entry model that may appease the casual user but frustrates anyone looking for something more powerful.
I think the reality though is that more prospective purchasers live in the "casual" range than the "power user" range. Not to mention the level of product scrutiny by power users is way higher than casual users, so it's unsurprising that they'd wait to really nail down the power user products even if it means more time in testing and R&D.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think the reality though is that more prospective purchasers live in the "casual" range than the "power user" range. Not to mention the level of product scrutiny by power users is way higher than casual users, so it's unsurprising that they'd wait to really nail down the power user products even if it means more time in testing and R&D.

Yeah, you are right.

That also explains the "fun colors" which most serious users would probably sneer at.

I see a lot of complaints on Facebook about there not even being a black option.

It has been a very frustrating few months for those of us that want more powerful computers. In five more months, we will get it with the Macbook Pro but I fear at least another year for the iMac crowd.

It makes sense Apple would start from the bottom up to appease the larger sect of the Apple buying consumer. Power users have a long wait and I am all for more time and testing in R&D to make it right.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Neither the new iMacs nor iPad Pros have WiFi 6E. Huge missed opportunity here as some companies are already rolling out products.

Never mind. Apparently, they do.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Been sitting on the back deck in 70-degree NJ weather doing a lot of online reading.

There's speculation that the larger 27" and 30" iMacs could roll out in September/October when the MX2 chips are announced.

That would not be too bad. That's basically 6 months away to release date.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Neither the new iMacs nor iPad Pros have WiFi 6E. Huge missed opportunity here as some companies are already rolling out products.
ATV does, havent looked into the others,

1618953307547.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam, what am I missing on these?

It says WiFi 6 networking but not specifically 6E. Is there a word or spec in there that isn't clear?

There may be a term I am not familiar with that is making me completely miss the 6E spec.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Aaaah!

Just looked that up:

IEEE 802.11ax-2021 or 802.11ax is an IEEE standard for wireless local-area networks (WLANs) and the successor of 802.11ac. It is marketed as Wi-Fi 6 (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and Wi-Fi 6E (6 GHz) by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Why can't those f-ers just put WiFi 6E in the technical specs so idiots like me can understand what the F they are talking about.

I stand corrected. Cool! These devices are all future-proof

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks