What's new

Apple Quicktime MPEG-2 component ($20) (1 Viewer)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Apple recently released its Quicktime MPEG-2 playback component (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/) for $19.95. Does anyone know what this provides that isn't already provided as part of Quicktime, Perian, flip4mac?

After installing Perian and flip4mac, I've lost track of which does what, and it seems I can already playback MPEG2. So, I'm not sure what this component from Apple adds.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component came out awhile back and is included with Apple Final Cut Studio.

Neither QuickTime/QuickTime Pro, Perian, nor Flip4Mac include MPEG-2 decoder. Besides DVD (MPEG-2 Component supports non-encrypted DVDs only), you probably won't run into MPEG-2 contents often, but when you do, this component will let you play and transcode them into other formats. It's worth noting that Dolby Digital (AC-3) and DTS are not supported, although there's free decoder for the former. Unless you actively produce DVDs, you probably won't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks