What's new

APPLE: iTunes 4 (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
good karma, whatever.

I like BUYING music, always have.

international - yes, US only, and the exact argument why they should get the music flowing!

never visited Napster.
didn't hear of Kazaa till this week.

lol!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
What I read is that the record labels have to haggle through legal issues in other countries. I don't know if that's true, but it sounds plausible.
It's very true.

There are a lot of bands/artists whose albums are released on different labels in their home territory vs the rest of the world. That means dealing with at least two labels if you want to have "worldwide download" rights.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
that's arguing that the internet has borders, which is ...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
bottom line is that with sound check on, AAC sounds better than MP3, but CD still sounds better than both (not subject to Sound check).
If quality is a concern one should stay far away from Sound Check (or any volume leveling system).

I'm most impressed with the speed and interface design of Apple's new service. I hope the track count (and artist count) increases quickly. The exclusive content is cool too...hope they get good stuff.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sound check is a must for me with 5,000 songs recorded at different levels.

if they offer it, it should be of quality.

EdR

Second Unit
Joseph S, thanks for the link...I'm playing tracks from someone else's iTunes playlist right now...amazing.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
sound check is a must for me with 5,000 songs recorded at different levels.

if they offer it, it should be of quality.
Have you tried it? It sucks.

I'm not aiming at Apple's version of volume leveling because every version I've tried has a profoundly negative effect on sound quality. I have a massive mp3 & ape music collection and would love to use volume leveling. My first priority, however, is sound quality. I'd rather adjust the volume manually for each track than compromise playback quality.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
yes, from the beginning.

it used to be slow on my iMac 15, then it worked seamlessly on my iMac 17. iTunes 3 used to distort tracks with low passages - this has been fixed in iTunes 4.

sound check certainly improves albums with low recordings (bootlegs!) lol.

I do not have the TIME to manually level each track.

Mac = time saving.

quality is almost relative nowadays, and there's more to life to enjoy with time saved (not having to HUNT forever for a cheaper CD to get a couple of tracks).

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I've just realised,

does one also have to be a .Mac subscriber in order to buy music?

thus making the Apple Music Store a subscription service after all.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Because they haven't licenced all the tracks or because they haven't gotten round to uploading it all?

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Because they haven't licenced all the tracks or because they haven't gotten round to uploading it all?
Or perhaps because the record companies are hedging their bets with this new venture. I think it's clear (and to be expected) that different approaches are being tried out with this new venture.

For instance, some artists have entire albums available but you aren't allowed to purchase the album whole. The $10 per single album is a good deal, but the companies obviously make more money when they force customers to purchase each song individually at a buck a pop.

Some artists have entire albums available, but lock out certain tracks unless you purchase the entire album.

Some artists have albums available, but withhold their most popular (or most recent) material. No Doubt's catalog is availble, but not its latest (which has been out for some time now). And here's irony for you: C+C Music Factory has their album "Gonna Make You Sweat" available but not the actual song of the same name.

I've bought about 10 songs since the service became available, a sort of "best of" compilation of my own. These are songs I would never have purchased their respective albums for, so this is a great deal for me. Apple chose the right price for individual songs and the whole setup is incredibly easy (almost too easy to purchase songs, actually). I've already submitted a suggestion that the service include hard-to-find tracks, such as bonus tracks found on CD5 releases.

I just hope success and industry greed doesn't kill this off.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I won't ask why you were searching for C+C Music Factory songs. ;)

I wonder, if I buy a whole album does it count as a "real" album sale? Can the artist use an album sale via iTunes in their Billboard sales total?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
almost too easy to purchase songs, actually
I agree. I bought Lou Reed - New York with the single click. The first time, you get a dialog that says "Are you sure you want to purchase...." or something. There's a checkbox to not nag you anymore but I think I want to be nagged. Otherwise, I could end up with C+C Music Factory tracks by accident or worse, on purpose. :D

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
is there anyway possible for those without US based credit cards to download tracks?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Not yet. Supposedly the music store will open in Europe by the end of the year.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Not yet. Supposedly the music store will open in Europe by the end of the year.
They're going to find it hard, unless it's a subset of countries. So many different countries, so many different labels, so many licences to deal with. Even with the EU, there's still a lot of fragmentation out there.

And even then, that may not help Chris in Fiji.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks