What's new

Apple iPhone 5S/5C Event: Everything You Need To Know (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Speak for yourself, Carlo =pAnd Matt, no bashing from me, if people choose entire ecosystems on the basis of how big their phone is then they get what they want, and deserve =pRegarding NFC alternatives, Om posits that iBeacon will drown it:http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/with-ibeacon-apple-is-going-to-dump-on-nfc-and-embrace-the-internet-of-things/I have ZERO experience with Beacons so: we'll see.I've had 7 on my iPhone since Beta 1 with no regrets, finally put it on my iPad with GM last night. Definitely makes you choose the right background, I think a lot of folks are going to be finicky with that choice. Auto updating apps? Yes please.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.imore.com/complete-iphone-5s-specifications
Camera is f/2.2
Pixel pitch is 1.5 um

One figure of merit for an imaging system's sampling is q = (wavelength * f#) / Pixel
q = 1.0 is the system is sampling at half-Nyquist
q = 2.0 is sampling at Nyquist
(q is not necessarily an integer, and can fall above, between, or below these two cases)
(I've seen this used for remote sensing. I don't know if anyone uses this for normal / scientific photography, but the principle should be applicable.)

Conventional thinking is you want a q=2.0 for optimal sampling. However, as signal to noise decreases (such as in dim lighting), q=1.0 can be better.

The iPhone 5S has q=(0.700 um)* (2.2) / (1.5) = 1.02
(0.7 um is about middle of the visible spectrum)

The iPhone 5S, in a first order view, is built to optimize performance in poorer lighting. This is not to say that it won't be good when there's plenty of light. But all else being equal, a phone with q=2 could out-perform in mid-day sunlight. That is, same camera but with 0.75 um (or even 1 um) pixels.

I'm curious the results for other phones, but I can't find specs for Nexus 4 or S4 or other phones (no one has pixel pitch).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nerdery aside :)

I'm mystified by this thread and most of the comments. I'm baffled why it's bashed for not having NFC (even the phones with this don't seem to advertise it at all, suggesting this isn't of any normal-person use. Also, it's a feature that requires me to buy doodads, stick them places in the house and car and office, and then program for each one specifically. The end result could be very useful, but it requires effort and cost upfront. It's no surprise to me it's not a big deal in general.)

But let's stipulate that the iPhone sucks without NFC...why doesn't every other phone now retro-actively suck for not having a biometric ID system?

If this fingerprint system works, it will be immediately useful. Passwords suck. And they're only getting worse. I've got a 6-digit PIN on my phone, which is quite something compared to most people, but very insecure by password standards. My iTunes password is stronger. And it's a pain to type in everytime I buy something.

Touch-to-identify? Yes, please. This removes friction. This eliminates me mis-typing my 12-char password and locking myself out. This means more people are more secure without effort. Isn't this a godsend to parents? Kids can't randomly stumble onto passwords and download $100 on CandyCrush. And the potential expansion (iOS 8, next year?) to general use (Amazon, Target, Starbucks, United...) is obvious and potentially a watershed in using our phones as wallets.

It might be none of this. It might fail. Worse, it might be erratic, and so be less than useful (and everyone quickly goes back to old habits).

And biometrics leave me ambivalent. I can change a password. I can't change a fingerprint. If someone wants my password, they steal my computer. If someone wants my fingerprint...they steal my finger? The extreme scenarios are frightening.

But if this works? BFD.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Biometrics will be a no-go pretty much in our enterprise. We've already talked to the MDM, they aren't going to native support (yet) so it'll be disabled. That said, the concept of biometric goes back a long ways.. HP and Sony shipped biometric password scanning, and even WindowsXP supported it. The problem with biometric scanning is, unless apple has figured htis out, that locking per a single user is a bitch, as more then one user may handle a device. (ever hand a phone to a friend or a family member?) More then that, the bigger factor with a biometric reader is going to be how well it plays out.

In regards to NFC, considering Samsung airs commercial after commercial about it, Dave, I'm not sure how you missed it. NFC has been one of their big pounding promos in almost half the commercials they put out.

I'm really interested for someone to get hands on for the 5S and give a runthrough.

Sam, in regards to size: there are lots of reasons why people chose things. I admit, I had hundreds of dollars in purchases on the iPhone (and I keep my iPad) when I left for the Nokia 920 (now 1020). My wife is the same, though she traded in her 4S for a Galaxy4 today. There is actually a lot to like about other ecosystems. People chose to like what they like. I've played with.. and own.. most of them - and I know you do to. There are things I love about all of them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
The problem with biometric scanning is, unless apple has figured htis out, that locking per a single user is a bitch, as more then one user may handle a device. (ever hand a phone to a friend or a family member?) More then that, the bigger factor with a biometric reader is going to be how well it plays out.
I'm just gonna guess it's similar to how they handle passwords now. You can set it to enable upon lock, or after a set number of minutes. If your phone is unlocked it doesn't autolock until a time you preset. So now I have a passcode and I used to have it require a password on lock, which annoyed me. So I have it set to 5 minutes. I'm one of those where I'm either on the phone a lot or I've put it down for a while, so 5 minutes was reasonable. If I hand it to anyone within that 5 minutes, whether it's passcode or fingerprint, they can use it. Even when I had it require a passcode upon lock, I could still unlock it and hand it to my friend and he/she could use it. I imagine fingerprint will work the same way. You unlock it with your fingerprint and hand it over to a friend to use. It should not re-lock itself between when it leaves your hand and when your friend begins to use it.

Emergency calls I bet will be handled the same way. Heaven forbid I collapse and someone gets my iPhone 5S out to call the ambulance but it's fingerprint-locked. Right now you can make an "emergency call" on a locked iPhone, I will assume the same will be possible with fingerprint locking. I think fingerprint is just a straight swap for passcode (initially) and won't present new concerns in terms of multiple person activations.

Having a fingerprint sensor on computers, especially in a workplace, is different because in a corporate environment multiple people may need access to a machine. Usually a phone is one-per-user. Even people I know who get their phones from work aren't expected to share it with other coworkers.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have two questions.

How does the 5C compare to the current 5? Is it essentially a repackaged unit in multi-colored plastic? Or are there noticeable improvements?

Second, what is 'NFC'? As a general consumer, I don't think I've heard the term. And what would I do with it?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
5C is roughly equivalent to 5. Haven't seen a teardown yet but most pundits and tech sites are saying that Apple has previously discounted prior versions of the iPhone when a new version was released, and this 5C is basically a repackaged 5, priced lower, to continue that trend. Until a teardown we won't know if there are improvements. I think reception may prove to be better because the 5 had those four bands in the metal whereas I think they said there's reinforcement all over the plastic polycarbonate backing that will act as an antennae, so that may yield a tangible benefit.

NFC is the division the 49ers, Eagles and...just kidding.

Near Field Communication.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you've seen the Samsung commercials where they stand next to each other and trade music, pictures, videso, etc. wirelessly, that's one of the uses of NFC. Other key uses of NFC involve using your own tags. I admit, I now have series of tags with inbuilt macros. Swipe the NFC near my front door, and it connects to my NEST and sets my HVAC for the day while I'm out, swipe it on the way back and it does the reverse. But most people see the key uses as faster then bluetooth file transfer and easy device to device data supports.

In regards to the corproate environment: you have to remember, your phone isn't yours. And, MDMs reserve the right to wipe your data or reset your password at any time if it's company provided (should you be terminated, etc.). A lot of companies use MDMs to prevent purchases, to lock applications, or to provide security between the device and other products in the office. Fingerprint as a login method will largely be turned off, not because you're sharing the phone, but because MDMs can't quickly disable and wipe. That's a very minor note, so this won't impact most users.. just saying, it's one of those features that will work great for some, not so much for others. That's always going to be true of any new feature, the same way Sam/etc. dismisses NFC, meanwhile yes, we techies love it ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
Biometrics will be a no-go pretty much in our enterprise. We've already talked to the MDM, they aren't going to native support (yet) so it'll be disabled. That said, the concept of biometric goes back a long ways.. HP and Sony shipped biometric password scanning, and even WindowsXP supported it. The problem with biometric scanning is, unless apple has figured htis out, that locking per a single user is a bitch, as more then one user may handle a device. (ever hand a phone to a friend or a family member?) More then that, the bigger factor with a biometric reader is going to be how well it plays out.In regards to NFC, considering Samsung airs commercial after commercial about it, Dave, I'm not sure how you missed it. NFC has been one of their big pounding promos in almost half the commercials they put out.
Smartphones, iPods, fitbits, pedometer...they're all a no-go in my industry. I'm talking about personal use, not corporate blackberry rollouts.The only NFC stuff I recall is bump to pass photos. Are there more ads?

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
I'm leaning towards the 5C, probably the 32Gb. Considering I'm still using an iPhone 3GS, the 5C is a huge step up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You could even get the free-on-contract 4S and experience a massive upgrade :)Probably 5C for wife and 5S for me. But I need to see the colors. 5C would be a big jump and save me another $100.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It's always impressive to me how people that don't like apple products are mad that they are not innovating, but don't hold their preferred brand of phone to the same standard.

I have a fingerprint scanner on my laptop. It does nothing. No one cares. The computer is a POS. Fingerprint scanner on the phone seems pretty cool. I hate typing in a 6 digit passcode everytime I have to unlock my phone (work requirement to get their email on my phone). In 5 years if no one uses passwords anymore I'd say the 5S would be pretty innovative. Time will tell.

Knowing all the leaks before the keynotes is a bummer, but nothing can be done. iOS7 was my most looked to release. I'll look for an iPhone 6 next year, I have the iPhone 5 and I've never bought mid cycle upgrades. I really want a 64 bit iPad mini with retina display for xmas. Hopefully that happens.

My main upgrade for the phone is a >4.5" screen. Hopefully that happens for the iPhone 6. I love Galaxy screen size, but not enough to get me to switch to Android. Nothing against Google, I use Chrome and their maps app.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think everyone believes in 5 years no one will use a password. Everyone is working on different methods. Google believes that it will involve some sort of randomized picture selection or swiping; Microsoft believes it will be graphical drawing (which they support in Win8).. and there are even Linux variants fooling with the idea of voice recognition. We'll have to see.. no one knows just yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Biometrics are the only passwords you cannot change once they have been compromised. =)I saw someone on twitter say yesterday and I agree with this wholeheartedly: There is a huge mental difference in telling someone they can get last year's phone for $99 verse showing them a slightly updated version for the same price that debuted this week.I am shocked and saddened that the 4S is still in the mix. I believe that is a mis step but we'll see!5C pre orders start at 3 AM eastern time tonight. Dick move by Apple but at least they are consistent!http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/iphone-5c-pre-orders-to-begin-at-1201-am-pacific-time-on-friday-september-13/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mind, BLOWN:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT6FgV1IEAA1ILN.jpg
See also:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT5ur9eIAAAWh_V.png
PNGs aren't allowed on HTF

Via: https://twitter.com/zkahn94

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haha I was going to wait for the iPhone 6 but now that I've seen those I have to get all 5 Power Rangers colors of the 5C as well as the 3 Star Wars colors of the 5S.
sold.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The more reviews I read on the iPhone 5S and Galaxy Note 3, the
more mentions from various sources that Apple is working on an iPhone
with a screen as large as 6"

Hopefully this means I buy a Galaxy Note 3 this year and then a year
from now it's back to the iPhone.

...that is, if the rumors pan out to be true.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
The more reviews I read on the iPhone 5S and Galaxy Note 3, the
more mentions from various sources that Apple is working on an iPhone
with a screen as large as 6"

Hopefully this means I buy a Galaxy Note 3 this year and then a year
from now it's back to the iPhone.

...that is, if the rumors pan out to be true.
If the rumors do pan out, it will be amusing to hear those who said "Apple doesn't do ANYTHING just because it's popular or because that's what everyone else is doing" try to explain it away.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Certainly they're working on it. The question is whether they release it, or chalk it up as not a good product for them. Like the fabled AppleTV, to be released in just two years...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks