What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Apollo 13 Question..... (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys. I was watching Apollo 13 this weekend. What does GIMBLE LOCK or Close to centre Gimble mean. I take its a bad thing cause they dont want to come close to it.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
gimbles are rings used to keep the compass level in a ship.

This is a gimble compass.

If you rotate, say, 90 degrees(down) on the x axis, and then try to rotate on the y axis, since the x axis will be aligned with the y axis, it wont rotate

CharlesD

Screenwriter
They're referring to the pointing mechanism for the rocket motor. If you watch a Shuttle launch, one of the last things you see during the countdown is a gimbal test of the main engines, you'll see the nozzles move from side to side. Gimbal lock would be where the computer wants to point the engine in a direction beyond the available range of motion permitted by the gimbals & therefore the spacecraft would not go in the direction they want it to which would be a Bad Thing ™.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
yea.. so i guess the idea behind that compass is the general idea behind that of the engines on the ship that was used for apollo 13?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It has to do when one form of rotation is mapped onto the other axis of rotation. When one axis rotates 90 degrees then it is aligned with the other axis of rotation. At this point you have 'lost' that 3rd axis and can't recover it (BAD). You can always rotate on 2 axises simultaneously to recover but this is sometimes impossible or very hard (depending on the system). Google for more info... this is a common issue with video game development (flight sims and 1st person shooters).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks