What's new
World Wide Stereo

Anything I can do about no DVI input? (1 Viewer)

Tod

Agent
I searched for "DVI" related threads and did not find the answer I seek, so here is my question:

I bought a 36" Sony XBR450 about 2 years ago. I have since learned about how DVI-HDCP (or DVI-HDMI) inputs will be needed on HDTV televisions in order to watch some copy protected HD material (e.g. movies). http://dvi.baumannpaper.com/

So am I simply S.O.L. with my XBR450? Does anyone know if there will be a way to upgrade my TV to add a DVI input? Or will there be some sort of set top box I can use to covert a DVI output to interface with a component input?

I'm sure this has all been discussed here before, but as I said I did a search and didn't find anything on it. Can you all please help enlighten me?

Thanks!

Todd.

728x90

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
It is still doubtful that your set will be obsolete any time soon.

You should still be able to receive High Def material via component inputs for quite some time.

I have not heard of a component to DVI switcher.

Malcolm Smith

Auditioning
I just purchased a Motorola DCT 5100 through Shaw Cable in Canada. This unit is being sold by many cable companies as their HDTV box. They did not even have Motorola install the DVI port as it is an option. I suspect the majourity of others have configured theirs this way as well, so you'll be safe.

It was my understanding that the copyright protection used with DVI would only prevent you from copying the material. You should still be able to veiw it.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
I found somewhere online, a DVI to Component cable convertor, that was made specifically for the purpose of connecting the DVI output on an HDTV receiver to a component only HDTV. It's made by Monster Cable. I remember looking for it because I wanted to connect my PC to a direct view HDTV that only had component cable, but the cable convertor was supposedly only used for HDTV receivers and not PC outputs.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Mando-R, I think you are almost certainly mistaken. Do you have the URL for the product you are describing? I don't think Monster makes such a product, and in any case DVI->component converters are to my knowledge DVI-A converters, for analog video signals on a DVI cable, not digital ones, and wouldn't do a thing for DVI-HDCP encrypted video. If it was so easy to get around, no one would have bothered pushing the DVI in the first place. (The whole point was to have digital encrypted video at too high rates to practically record & transmit, and close the "analog hole", the fear of people recording off of analog outputs. If you could convert the DVI to component, what would be the point?)

As for the original poster - there's nothing you can do. But don't worry about it yet, as there's nothing that's DVI-only at this point. Still at least a year off, might never come, and it'll only likely affect a portion of available content if any. Just enjoy your set for now and worry when the time comes. You'll probably be itching for an upgrade by the time you really need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks