What's new

HTF Special Review: Upcoming Oppo BDP-83 Profile 2.0 Universal Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Special Review Of Upcoming Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray Player

My System Used For This Review

I have to admit, being in this hobby and having the privilege to be in the position I am in does have its perks. As a reviewer and beta tester for various companies I get the chance to see and experience things that many HT buffs only dream of, such is the case here. Oppo Digital announced mid last year that they were working on a blu-ray player and that it was going to be something special, of course being that Oppo has now become one of the most appreciated companies in the DVD game the internet forums lit up with anticipation. I am going to be 100% honest, the hoopla and excitement over this player can't even come close to the actual performance you get here. Oppo Digital has become maybe the most respected name in the DVD world, their players constantly receive the highest recommendations from casual reviewers and even top the charts when scrutinized under a scientific microscope AKA barrage of tests and performance charting. The 83 lives up to Oppo's legendary status and in my opinion even exceeds it.

Enjoy the special review and comments below, thanks for reading!

BDP-83 Appearance, Build, Inputs, etc.

The 83 comes in a very sturdy and hefty delivery enclosure box and a nice protective bag that Oppo is known for on their SD DVD players. Those of you that have owned Oppo gear in the past will understand my forthcoming comments. Oppo delivers pretty much the best quality A/V performance there is, what is lacking is that ultimate build quality and the high-end appeal and performance this brings, notice I said "is". The 83 is a complete and total departure from everything you have seen from Oppo before. The player is as solid and well built as a previous Sony ES blu-ray unit I owned. The tray mechanism is stable and beefy and far from anything you would call flimsy. The aluminum front panel is thick and looks amazing with its brushed finish. Front panel buttons have a silver finish and nice solid click when being depressed. The IR sensor is easy to locate with a plastic cover over it and label, this would be helpful for those that need IR emitters attached but they are not needed with this unit (more on that below). Included is a USB jack on the front for software updates and media playback, the USB port has a dust cover installed to the keep the area clean.

The Oppo has what I would consider a very thorough jack assortment on the rear, including even IR in and out ports for those with custom installations that need IR routing, this is a much appreciated feature that is invaluable for many users. Other outputs include the usual optical, coaxial, component, and a dedicated stereo/7.1 analog output setup. Obviously a HDMI 1.3 port is provided in addition to another USB connection and the network connection needed for profile 2.0 capability. Oppo has also made use of a IEC power connector for those that use upgraded shielded cables or enjoy the detachment ability, another often overlooked feature. The unit is 110-240v 50/60hz capable out of the box, connect it anywhere in the world including Japan, Australia, Europe etc.!!!
Overall the build quality is top notch with the 83, I have no faults at all.

BDP-83 Setup and Calibration

This is where the 83 really starts to shine, anything and everything can be adjusted on this player to get a properly display image a system requires. Oppo went with a additional VRS chip from Anchor Bay Technologies, a very respected name in deinterlacing, scaling and image processing functions. This chip in the Oppo allows the unit to have full image adjustment control and gives the capability for a true high quality 1080p/60 output if you need it. Those that are purist like me need not worry because Oppo has delivered the goods on a true source direct bypass option for this unit. This option sets the unit to output exactly what resolution is on the disc, be it DVD or blu-ray, be it 1080i or 1080p/24, whatever the content is the output will be. When the unit is not set to source direct output the user has the options of many adjustment parameters due to the addition of the ABT processing chip, these include amongst others: contrast, noise reduction, brightness, and color. Even adjustments like y/c delay and detail enhancement. In addition to these mentioned video options Oppo includes a colorspace setup area, this is the single most important thing that blu-ray manufactures need to get right. In this menu you can set the player to deliver a true 10-bit 4:2:2 image via HDMI, with the unit set to source direct this is a 100% true bypass, with no colorspace conversions (to 4:4:4 for example). This delivers exactly what comes out of the decoder and is the closest one can get to a HD-SDI professional/studio quality image. Other colorspace options include 4:4:4 and RGB, necessary for those systems that may need 4:4:4 or even displays that only take RGB via DVI, which if not setup properly will have black and white crush. Can it get any better? yes!, you can adjust any and all video setup parameters while a disc is playing and with instant change. This player is like a top notch responsive DVD player, not the usual clunkiness you have come to expect from blu-ray players (more on this below).

As usual, my recommendation for the unit is to set it to source direct, and 4:2:2 colorspace output, this delivers exactly what you want out of a blu-ray player.

BDP-83 Playback and Features

The 83 is really going to turn heads in this regard. Somehow Oppo has managed to deliver DVD player responsiveness, loading and performance out of what we have come to expect from slow, clunky and "...forever loading" blu-ray players. For example, with the 83 in standby, the time it takes for the unit to eject the tray is less than 9 seconds, this is not a exaggeration. Tired of those blu-ray disc load times?, what about titles like Pirates of the Caribbean? you might just as well insert it and go make a sandwich before you can expect to get anywhere on the disc and this is with the latest greatest players like the Panasonic X5 units. The aforementioned Pirates of the Caribbean loads up and initiates java in a couple snaps of the finger. If forced to make a decent guess I would say 4 or 5 times faster than any other blu-ray player on the market. All around disc load times for non java titles are bordering on DVD territory, titles like Behind Enemy Lines load and are at the menu in what seams like a instant compared to other players. The menu on the BEL disc is smooth and responds very fast, something I can't say about any other player that tries to handle this menu, the usual clunkiness is gone. The player has a very informative information screen display, including video codec, audio selection (did I mention how fast audio changes midstream are?), chapter/total times etc. I am not certain on this but you may see a bitrate meter as well in the future.

Another bonus with this player is the ability to do SACD playback. With the minimum HDMI 1.2 spec (this player is 1.3) you can send direct unprocessed DSD to a capable pre-amp or receiver, this is a excellent way to listen to SACD and is highly recommend by your reviewer. The 83's USB ports can do all manner of media playback including just about any format you can imagine. I even got the unit to playback some cable box .TS HDTV movie recordings that I had by converting them to .mpg and putting them on a USB thumb stick. I had perfect source direct 1080i video and DD 5.1 audio with butter smooth ff, rw, pause, stop and even resume capabilities, this is amazing. With what hard drives cost these days the mind starts to wonder what a person could do with this capability.

Oppo is known for their firmware updates and ease of use, well you can't get any easier than this. Download the firmware from Oppo's site, drag and drop it on a USB stick, insert it in the unit and it automatically detects it and asks if you want to proceed. Installation of firmware, power off of the player and return of the unit to the splash screen (ready to play) takes all of 30 seconds, sometimes less. Alternatively you can use the ethernet network connection to download and install future formats via Oppo servers, not too shabby!

BDP-83 Video and Audio Quality

All of this would be for lost if the 83 was a bad performer in the video quality area, not a chance!!. I easily put the player at the top of the heap when it comes to PQ of all the blu-ray players I have owned and reviewed, maybe even the best. The first thing that struck me about this player (when in the source direct 4:2:2 output mode) is how clean the image is, no noise whatsoever. I am not talking about processing of sorts either, time after time the unit displayed the finest of finest visible film grains on various titles, always with a lush nearly over the top amount of natural sharpness. The image is simply amazing, no one single complaint from me and I am very picky. No black crush, no white clipping, no color decoding errors, no normal suspect areas on most players, just perfection. Various titles used for this player during my main video critiquing were: "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", "Tomb Raider", "The Fifth Element (remaster)", The Passion of the Christ, "Air Force One (UK import)" and others. Nothing to report other than splendid images, the 83 does what it should do well and with no problems at all, you can't ask for more than that. Video output used was HDMI set to source direct and 4:2:2 colorspace.

There isn't much to say about audio quality of this unit. The Oppo BDP-83 allows the user to set the player where it will pass 100% untouched undecoded audio via HDMI 1.3 to your pre-amp or receiver. This is the absolute best way possible to listen to and enjoy advanced audio formats like DTS Master, Dolby TrueHD and PCM. The 83 features 7.1 analog outputs and will allow internal decoding of all sound formats to be sent as PCM via HDMI, both these features are something I did not critique for this review. Everything is covered for any audio situation, this includes internal decoding of all sound formats for the DACs and HDMI PCM. Analog audio has full implementation of setup for those that have unprocessed analog inputs they wish to use on their receiving end. I had nothing but perfect audio distribution to my Onkyo PR-SC885P pre-amp.

BDP-83 SD DVD Video Quality

Being this is a true universal player, Oppo couldn't forget regular old forgotten DVD (I kid!). The Oppo in delivery of its DVD image (and internally) matches the current DV-983H model in their lineup, the DVD quality via any output resolution is 100% equal to that player. Of course you also have source direct that will deliver unprocessed 480i 4:2:2 to a outboard scaler if you no longer have that SDI DVD player. Basically the 983 DVD playback is considered to be the best in the world, so their is no point in my covering that, others have already done so.

Closing Thoughts

The Oppo BDP-83 is what I like to call the Lord of the Rings in blu-ray players, it is "The One Player To Rule Them All"! This player is going to make everyone else look bad and I mean real bad. Ease of use, responsiveness, loading times, a/v quality, updates, media player, you name it. A fully featured and stacked package, one that gets my highest recommendation possible.

Special thanks to Jason Liao of Oppo!!

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Great review Gary. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. I hope I am in the next EAP bunch. This looks like the one to own and I have never owned an OPPO product. Thank you for your input.

Sten F

Second Unit
Question:

How about making the Oppo BDP-83 Multiregion? There has to be a way around this...

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Thank you for the review Gary. This player could very well be the one for me. I hope it won't be hard to get once it is finally ready for release. Seems like a llot people are interested in this player.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

That is my interest as well. All the buzz has said that it will likely NOT have DVD-A at release but will get it with a firmware update.

Failing to make mention of it in the review strikes me as a bit odd.

And w/o DVD-A, the Oppo will not quite live up to the hype as "One player to rule them all".

Brian

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for the review.

But...to sound less like a promo...there are some areas of interest to many current Oppo owners not really mentioned: what doesn't it do? Of interest to me, and the main ones that would make me consider this player (since there are already plenty of half-decent BD and DVD players): how is DVD-A audio handled, and what is the final word on multi-region DVD capability.

And of course the price.

Edit: ah, I see Brian sort of covered it while I was (slowly) typing
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
If I understand it correctly, this player has not been released to the general public yet and Oppo is still working on adding features. I believe DVD-A is one they're working on, but haven't got working yet. I haven't followed it really closely, but I'm under the impression that DVD-A capability will eventually be added.

AVS Forum has an Early Adoption Program Owners thread (I believe 50 people got to buy units early while Oppo puts the finishing touches on their firmware). If you're really interested in this player, I would suggest checking over there and seeing what the owners are saying.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

no MR, you are going to need a aftermarket mod which I am sure will hit soon after release ;)

-Gary

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

the player has PAL to NTSC and vice versa conversions, you choose your display type in the setup menu, NTSC, PAL or multi

-Gary

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Wow! That is some review. I currently own the 981 DVD player, which I love and the Panasonic BD30 for my Blu-ray needs. Sometime down the road I would love to upgrade to this new player as I have a few irritating issues with my Panny, not the least of which are load times, etc. However, these are probably disc related mostly. The upconversion of std DVDs is weak though and I'm happy to hear Oppo has continued their expertise in this area.

I would love to have just one player eventually, though I fear as the word has spread about this superior, yet small manufacturer the stock availability when production time rolls around will be poor. One will probably have to wait a LONG time!

My only complaint with your review is the conspicuous lack of testing of the on-board audio decoders. This is critical for people with receivers that don't perform this duty and is nonetheless important even to those who have one that does (I have a Onkyo 880) as the Oppo may even best them in this regard.

If you get a chance could you look into checking this out and posting an addendum at some point soon, it would be appreciated!

From what you say here I think I see more awards in Oppo's future.

p.s. does anyone know where the heck the name "OPPO" comes from?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I believe that the Early Adoption Program participants paid $499.

I don't know if they have announced the official price, but it seems likely to me that they would charge the same price to the general public.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

your decoding internally and output as PCM via HDMI will be top notch, you can be sure of that, Oppo actually has a pretty nice analog section in there as well for 8ch output, I don't think anyone will be disappointed ;)

-Gary

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
launch price will probably be around 599$, but could be as low as the EAP price, not set yet as far as I know

-Gary

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Thanks for the review, Gary.

Speaking of DVD performance-

Did you happen to note whether or not the Oppo has some sort of zoom function for non-anamorphic DVDs (and if so, does is also work thru the HDMI)? I have a large collection of letterboxed discs, and I was considering the Panasonic BD35 for that reason- but that model is being replaced now and I don't know the specs yet for the new models.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Great review! I still really wish it had built in wi-fi but if it performs as well as your review indicates I'll probably be upgrading my PS3, wi-fi be damned.

Sten F

Second Unit
Those of us who already own the Oppo 983 won´t win a whole lot by getting the BD-83 (when available). We might as well buy a Panasonic or Pioneer instead.

However, this is the ONLY reason Not to buy the BD-83, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks