What's new

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Well this thread has been a great read. I have laughed my butt off at times and agreed with many things stated. One thing I find difficult is when you are fighting with your partner on V-Day yet you are suppose to go and get them a gift. At this current moment I don't even want to speak to the woman much less hand her a gift that says "Your my special one". I'm sure today will be interesting.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Being as this is a Valentines thread, could you clarify? Are you talking about "in to work"?:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's no scorn, disbelief, or pity directed toward those who don't observe Halloween.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

I'm in the same boat Matt. Been fighting with mine all week. Now I have to go get her something special. Bleh. I hate Valentine's Day.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

I never had the day off as a holiday, so I don't know how to celebrate it. Would we would have to buy a diamond or flowers for the president?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
After reading some of the comments here, especially on the first few pages, I have to say, I must be a simpleton, or dead inside, or Forrest Gump.

When I've been single during Valentine's Day (like this year), I just go about my business as usual. If someone says "happy Valentine's Day!" I say it back, if not, I say nothing. I work with several married or dating people, so it's to be expected to "run into" the celebration at some point.

When I'm in a relationship, I like to go out to dinner, exchange gifts, that sort of thing. Who cares about it being a corporate holiday? I have fun with it all the same. No one "needs" to have a designated day to show their love or affection, but there's also no harm in taking advantage of it.

It really is that simple. If you start obsessing over what "society" (the great scapegoat) makes/doesn't make you do, or thinks/doesn't think about you, you're going to be miserable no matter what day it is, or who you're with. Live on your own damn terms, and let others do so, as well.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo, as was mentioned, no one is complaining about the harmlessness of it all. We're bitching about the crap...I could care less about this holiday, but when you're surrounded by those who don't treat it like a "harmless" holiday, well then you start to get annoyed at it all.

For example: I work with someone who showed me a watch she got today. She goes "Look at my watch" and I said "Neat"...Now that's cool, but then you have the other end where someone comes up to me and goes "AREN'T YOU EXCITED ABOUT VALENTINES DAY!!!???" and expects me to go "YAY! I LOVE IT!", but when I go "not really", they have to go into their old "You're crabby!" or "How come you're so bitter?" or "Jeez, what's wrong with you?"

That's the crap that bugs me. The ones who have to take issue with the fact that I could take it or leave it. I'd be fine with ignoring this day if so many people weren't trying to make it sound like I'm being a miserable grump for not getting overly excited about it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

You're only giving me one example, though. And isolated cases can be dealt with easily. Take my students, who said I had a lot of nerve scheduling a test today (which I didn't, I don't make the schedules). My response? "Well, if I flunk you, at least you'll get some snuggles later today. Now shut up and get your pencils out".

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It's been clear for some time now that the people of Southern Connecticut live to shove their marriages, children, relationships and Valentine gifts down Mark's throat.

--
H

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I find the annual anti-Valentine's Day sentiment to be a bit tiresome. Why begrudge lovers their one day out of 365? Why not just look at it like any other holiday that you don't participate in? Do Gentiles resent Jewish people for observing Rosh Hoshanah?

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Only when I was a kid and my Jewish friends got the day off from school. Now I just resent Valentines day, and loathe people who say Valentimes day.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, when you consider the area, you can understand the attitude around here (i.e. the "I'm better than you" attitude)

The soccer moms drive their Hummers to Starbucks (in their Horse Riding attire) while they snip at you because they are in a hurry to get to their massage/manicure, etc.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Once again, Ricardo is the voice of reason. Being happily single, I don't celebrate V-day, but I don't hate it. Matter of fact, the only time I did hate it is the year I forgot about it. I was newly engaged and it really just slipped my mind.

Anybody have any questions as to why I'm single?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.