What's new

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Oh I see. I understood "chapel" as "small church". You meant "wedding chapel".

I have an aversion to big weddings as well (as a hypothetical groom), but I wouldn't deprive my SO of it if that's what she wanted - it's a life long dream for many, if not most women. At the same time, chances are I wouldn't have enough in common with such a lady to even get to that point.

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:) Told you it was a crazy thread, babe, it certaintly made last V-Day entertaining, that's for sure.

And seeing as you gave me the greenlight to be a little mushy, I adore the living shit out of you and I wouldn't trade a second of the past 8 months (not 6, sweetness ;)) for all of the dvd's in the world. :b

Alright, enough of that, the membership at HTF sometimes have weak stomachs for that sort of stuff. ;)

Of course, considering that i'll be spending Presidenst day weekend with you, I will have something special for you, something that you'll like i'm sure, I mean hey, I was right about the Freinds dvd's right? ;) And, how easily one forgets, i've taken you out to dinner on a couple of occasions so far, and as for dancing, as I said I can't do it, I look like Gilligan with his ass on fire jumping around in the lagoon to put it out when I try to dance, and song dedications, we live 2 hrs apart, that would be difficult to impossible to do. ;)

You know I joke, too. *KISSES* :D

Regarding weddings and that whole deal, I never really gave them much thought before but I can easily see how one could find that particular ritual to be an excessive one. IMO, it would be much more personal, not to mention more romantic, to get married alone with no family members around, elope I think is the term.

That's just me, though. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Holadem,
I assume you refer to my thread about The Notebook, I told you that I had more than a one dimensional reason for crying during that film.

And hey, i'm a sensitive guy, that's what makes me, well, me, take it or leave it. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
COME BACK, ONE YEAR!

It's actually cool, I don't mind the little names, for the first time in my life I actually have the chance to be a little mushy and, doggonnit, i'm gonna take it!

:D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This most entertaining of annual bitchfests serves the important function of making me feel better about my life.

Bring it on.

Happy V-Day in advance...

--
H

PhillJones

Second Unit
Hallmark, I don't mind so much. At least cards aren't break the bank expensive.

Who I dislike are the diamond merchants. Their adverts, especially on the radio are offensive. They imply, and not very subtly that your girlfriend will give it up if you buy her an expensive piece of jewelry. It's incredibly misogynistic.

'Every kiss begins with Kay'
yeah right.

BTW, I've been married for 6 years so this isn't coming from a place of bitterness. I've never bought my wife a diamond and never will, she knows this and agrees wholeheartedly, she'd rather we spend the money on something real.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I don't hate it, I just ignore it. I simply don't care to celebrate a holiday that clearly hurts so many other people. This thread is proof enough of that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im kind of suprised the single guys even know its Valentines Day. When I was single would often pass by without me even knowing. It was very rare for me to be lonely when I was single. Even now my G/F understand I need Jon days and is doesnt give me a hard time about it.

Its hard enough to find something nice for her for Xmas and her Bday (which is right after Vday, lucky me) so yes it can be frustrating and aggravating. Me, Im easy. So easy in fact she told me she isnt getting me ANOTHER Best Buy or Circuit City gift certificate - which has been her gift to me for every anniversary Bday and Xmas for the past 5 years.

Shes also making it easy on me this year - she would rather stay home and asked I help her cook instead of going out.As for her present, a day of being spoiled at the massage parlor always works(last year I asked if I could tag along and watch when I saw the girl who does the massages)Some all female place theyll give her a massage do her nails, etc. She always comes out of there happy as a clam - and I dont have to shop:D

BTW, for the single guys,I worked with alot of single women over the years and you wouldnt believe how happy a flower or card or cheap box of candy from a friend would make them on Vday. A hug or a nice sloppy kiss of thanks was usually worth the $2 I spent on them:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My biggest gripe about Valentines day is the fact that some people put too much emphasis on it. For example: What would your sig. other do if you didn't get them anything on Valentines day? Would it matter to them? and if so, why??

Why must love be expressed on this day? Even when I was with someone, I hated the thought of Valentines day because (IMHO) if I showed her love the rest of the year, she wouldn't need a "special" day.

Also, as someone who is constantly bombarded with women who bitch about their loser boyfriends...it infuriates me to see how these same women then swoon over their guys because they bought a cheap ass card and chocolates. Basically Valentines day gives the losers a chance to make 'brownie points' by buying crappy gifts that don't really mean anything.

To me, buying things doesn't mean love. If you had a great love to begin with, you wouldn't need this holiday.

Example: A friend mentioned Valentines day and I rolled my eyes. She immediately goes "You're bitter!" - But I wasn't...I think of it this way...Imagine having Christmas every day of the year. If we celebrated Christams year round, December 25th wouldn't be as exciting anymore.

The reason Christmas is exciting is because we only celebrate it once a year. Now since Valentines day is about love, if you celebrate your love every day of the year, this holiday would seem pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I notice that the people who get overly excited about this holiday are the ones that don't get the same kind of love year round.

Ok, rant over. LOL

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"They don't even know that they make us feel like total losers for not being in a relationship its just a painful side effect."

I was so fed up with relationships in my mid20s. I went years without dating anyone. Female friends are work were constantly on my back about it. Was I gay? Dont I miss being with anyone? When was the last time I went out on a date? etc,etc. They didnt want to hear about flings and such,they wanted to know when I was gonna go back to another relationship. I got SO tired of hearing about it. Now its when am I getting married from the women and the old jewish side of my family. Luckily I still have quite a few single male friends.

"I can handle flings, but I plan to never give my heart like I have in the past. Works for me."

Well you have to go into each relationship with no baggage. Ive seen people drive their BF/GF insane with "my ex used to do this or that". This person isnt that person, you know.

"I can't help but equate a relationship with emotional upheavals, compromises, frustrations, etc."

Beleive me Ive had my share of bad ones.I agree you have to find the right person. Besides the occasional compromise I really dont have to put up with those other things.No emotional upheavals, very rarely frustrated. After 5 years, Ive never had a "fight" with my G/F. We agree to disagree, but no fights.

Ive known people to stay in miserable relationships for years. But I agree Id rather be alone than miserable with someone else.

"I think it is perfectly normal to be "alone"."

Yes it is despite what people think. And alot of people cant be. I knew someone whos marriage hd turned into 24 hour torture but when I asked why doesnt he leave he said " I dont want to be alone or start over again"

"Considering I am friendly with a lot of women, you don't know how annoying it is to listen to their guy troubles."

Amen brother! I dont work with most of my female friends anymore but when I did I was their freakin therapist. As a matter of fact I met my best friend because she asked me for advice about her B/F, I didnt even know her. She knew my mother and another friend of mine, but I was outside smoking a cig and she walked up to me and said "Can I ask your advice about something..."

I agree that relationships usually come when youre not looking. Thats definitely been true in my experience. My current G/F said no when I first asked her out, she was too busy(being a single mom and widow). I decided to go into NYC and go whoring with my cousin and forget about relationships (after many frustrations in a row). 2 months later my G/F changed her mind which suprised me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

"Diamonds - She'll pretty much have to"

:laugh:

Although, seriously, if you give someone that you are in a relationship with a diamond and you don't get any afterward, I think it's time to re-evaluate the relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.