What's new

Anyone else having trouble with Dick Van Dyke Show Season 5, Discs 4 & 5? (1 Viewer)

Jay*W

Second Unit
Of our four DVD players, only one will even recognize Disc 5, while the special features on Disc 4 freeze on all but one of the players. Has anyone else experienced similar problems, or am I just unlucky? Thanks in advance,

Jay

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I believe I had disc 5 issues as well, I will check again to make sure but it wasn't playing on one of my players.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Casey and John,

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing the results.

Jay

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I don't have this set yet, but I've been made aware that on a Van Dyke message board on another site that several complaints have been lodged against S5. Everything from certain episodes not playing to poorer picture quality on the episodes to difficulty accessing the special features.
Discs 3 and 5 appear to be especially problematic.

However these are just a few people's experiences so far, I'd be curious to see how his plays out. None of my other Van Dyke sets have problems so I would be surprised if Image dropped the ball on this one.

Steve

Jay*W

Second Unit
Steve,

I've been absolutely delighted with Seasons 1 through 4, so this came as a complete surprise to me too. I'm wondering whether there might have been DVD authoring problems with this set. If so, I hope that Image will step up to the plate. I'd hate for this to leave a bad taste in people's mouths after the great product they've delivered up to now, especially after the Best Buy debacle. I hope others will weigh in with their experiences.

Jay

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got disc 5 to load on my portable DVD player but I've still got to try on my main player again but it wasn't working the other night that I recall.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Disc 5 works on my JVC player in the bedroom (Model No. XV-N40), but not on my Sony in the den (Model No. DVP-NC665P). It's quite bizarre, since I've never had any trouble with any other disc in the Sony, including Seasons 1 through and Discs 1 and 2 of Season 5. Disc 3 takes a long time to load, but ultimately plays fine. Disc 4 experiences occasional freezing and tracking problems, and Disc 5 won't load at all.

It's a minor disappointment because my wife and I have been trying to watch an episode or two each night in the den after my daughter goes to sleep. But I'm glad to hear that they're working fine on David's Pansonic player, among others.

Jay

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I just received my copy of season 5 today and decided to give it a brief viewing on my Toshiba SD 3900. I skimmed through every disc and episode in the set, and had no problems with the DVDs loading or playing. I also own 4 other DVD players and will try some of the noted problem discs on those players when I have more time.

Videowack

Agent
I checkout out all 5 discs of Season 5 on 3 of my players (all of which are Sonys) and they read and play fine on all 3. I didn't check 2 other machines since I will never be playing them on those. Maybe this was a "hit and miss" kind of thing with this set. Maybe I just got lucky. I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This just came in the mail today. Pulled out disc 4 and disc 5. They load fine and play fine (random selection of scenes and extras). My dvd player is a Panasonic CP-72.

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Jay -

I just received my Season 5 set yesterday and disc 4 and 5 both have problems. Disc 4 wouldn't play at all and disc 5 kept freezing up.

We are going to send our set back and hope that the replacement one will work better.

At least we got to see "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" since that was on disc 1. :)

Robin

Jay*W

Second Unit
Robin,

I'm feeling a little better that it's not just me! What player are you using? Mine is a Sony DVP-NC665P,

I'm on my second copy of the box set (one from Best Buy and one from Costco) and have experienced the same problems with both.

Jay

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

My DVD player is a Sony but I'm not sure which style it is. I was gong to look this weekend but forgot :b
All I know is that I bought it a little over a year ago.

Will let you know what happens when I get the replacement DVD.

Robin

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I have some audio problems with disk 1. In two episodes there are dropouts of about 1-2 seconds. They don't repeat when I play back the sections, so I don't know what is happening.

I am using the same Panasonic RP-91 that has played sets 1-4 without any problems.

Jay*W

Second Unit
John and Robin,

Thanks for the updated information. John, my player also had no trouble whatsoever with the first 4 sets.

Jay

Eric Daniel

Auditioning
Hi!

I have a question about DVD (Wow, that's Dick Van Dyke not DVD) :)

Season 5: Which actual disc of the 5 has the Cass Elliot Piece on it?? I can't find where that sketch is??

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Disc 5. There's actually two screens of "Special Features" on disc 5, because there's so many.

If not careful, many people might miss several good bonuses by overlooking the "More Special Features" choice at the bottom of Disc Five's SPECIAL FEATURES Sub-Menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks