What's new

anybody here go to (or knows someone that attends) Vancouver Film School....... (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
Hopefully (with any luck) I am going in October, so i've done all the applications and stuff but wanted to hear from anybody that actually goes to the place to see what they think of it personally.

Thanks in Advance

Declan

My brother went there - I can tell you all sorts of stories. If you're expecting a job in film, these guys won't help you one damned bit. No one from my brother's class that finished a year ago has any meaningful work. They do teach you practical skills, but it's questionable as to whether or not they are of any value when you can't get work. In North America, you need to get into the union to get work and you need x amount of hours on a set to be eligible to apply. Of course, you can't get hours because you're not in the union and you can't get in the union because you don't have the hours. I don't know where else you've applied, but I wouldn't worry about getting into VFS - they'll let you in as long as you can pay them.

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
Ya I had a friend who went there a couple years ago...he enjoyed it very much...and learned a lot...but like sean said dont expect a job out of it...since its almost impossible to get into the union...but he did manage to work on a couple of independent films where you dont get paid as well as doing paid work as a production assistant on a couple of major big budget films...but other than that nothing...like with anything its who you know not what you know

Declan

Second Unit
Well at the min I'm hopefully getting a job doing DVD menus and editing work with this guy who used to be in Bob Segers band and who runs a music mastering facility near me. Looks to be a good job...........if i get it (he came looking for me so I'm hopefull at least).

Thanks for the info about VFS..............it did seem a crazy amount of cash just to apply. all I want is to get experience with working with cameras and editing equipment...............so maybe this job (if i get it) will be better for me than trekking off to Vancouver. The guy who owns the place DOES have a good amount of contacts in the business. So I hope he likes the stuff i sent him.

Fingers Crossed.

Thanks guys

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
dude i would definetely go to the film school...Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in north america...going to school anywhere is a great experience and an opportunity that should not be missed...you'l meet tons of new people...and a lot of movies and TV shows are filmed there.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't really know anything about the school, but I just wanted to say that if any of you end up in Vancouver, look me up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks