What's new

Any recent NAD or Marantz receivers dropout free? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
SR 6200 and panasonic CV 51 dvd player. Happens on all tracks. First starting, skipping from track to track, choosing a track # at random or letting it play right through. I admit that there are times when it doesn't seem to dropout the beginning, but thats probably because the audio isn't on for the first instant of the track. Even if it doesn't do it once in a while, sure enough, it will do it again when the next track is reached. I think I'll make a CDR all with tracks that have "instant audio starting songs" and use that as the tester for other receivers.

MikeVM

Grip
NAD T752 with v1.22 A7 new firmware and a NAD c521i *CD* player, and it still drops audio just like the v1.06 firmware did with a DVD player. Of course the reason I bought the C521i is to have a CD player with a good analog output section. It sounds better than the digital hookup. A/D converters are a noticable improvement, so I no longer mind running analog. (Still pisses me off that it doesn't work right, but whatever)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I actually switched to using the digital connection (coax) with my 222ES for redbook CDs because the DACs in the 8300 sound better in stereo now that dropouts are not a problem. For DVD I am using a Denon 2200 via coax. Also using a PS2 via optical without issue.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So the 8300's definitely don't have dropouts. What a crock that we can't have inexpensive receivers that are dropout free. Something stupid is going on here. What in the world are these manufacturers doing ignoring something as important as signal retention? The reason I want to use the digital signal is because that way there is less of a difference between source direct and normal, and quite frankly, with source direct, for the zillionth time (not to you guys, but just in general), with source direct I have NO SUBWOOFER. Sorry but I didn't buy a nice large powerful subwoofer only for movies. I want to hear it when playing music also.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Source direct will utilize the sub only if that channel is present in the recording.

I don't even use source direct anymore, unless I want the sub off :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Right, but regardless of whether or not I use Source Direct or not, I can't use the digital frickin connection because it drops out. The point is, I can use analog and not drop out, but then I'm doing DA in the CD player and then AD and DA again in the receiver. If I had a digital connection, I'd be happy to use the receivers DAC's and only one DA conversion> Then I wouldn't see as much of a need for source direct, since it wouldn't be as big a deal.

So I have yet to hear about an SR7300 that has dropouts, unless I have missed something somewhere.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hey. Its me. Still wondering about the SR 6400. What is the warranty for Marantz? I think my three years might be almost up. I should take it to the distributor, plop it on the desk with my DVD player and my PSB 2B speakers attached and show the tech the problem and say "FIX IT or REPLACE IT". Why I've put up with this all along I don't know.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
No comments about SR 6300 or SR 6400 receivers being dropout free or not? Other NAD or Marantz receivers?

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 7300 OSE and have not had any problems. I use a Sony 400 disc cd changer, dish receiver and my panasonic dvd player all hooked up toslink. I love this receiver, for me it shines the most on the music side which was a must for me. All other receivers seemed weaker on the music side.

Marcus Parham

Auditioning
sr8200 owner. Dropout just at the beginning of material thru toslink hookup to my pioneer elite 45a dvd player. will probably do the software upgrade to make it the same as the 8300. Other than that, I love this receiver. As good as some separates. BTW, I happen to like the source direct mode for some music because it allows you to listen to the music with no coloration and it brings the sound close to what the producer intended.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did anyone notice they are offering the x400 series in silver? I saw a silver 7400 in an ad the other day... I still like the black though. :D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I've put up with this long enough...

So I'm wondering. I might be saying goodbye to my dropout prone SR 6200 once and for all. I'm looking at replacing it temporarliy with an SR7000, but ultimately I want to get another receiver with the sound quality of the SR7000, no dropouts and 6.1. DPL II and Circle Surround are bonuses.

How is the SR 7300 or 7300 OSE vs the SR 8200/8300 (I suspect the 8300 is dropout free as many have reported and the 8200 could be upgraded to 8300 specs).

Which should I be looking at?

I hate my SR 6200's dropouts and the rather less than spectacular sound of my 6200 in non-source direct mode. I like the idea of keeping all the features of the 6200 but gaining:

1) No digital dropouts
2) 80 hz crossover for subwoofer
3) Better sound quality overall
4) Not having to rely on Source Direct for good quality stereo music would be a plus.

My Mirage BPS-400 should sound good for music and blend well with my system, but it does not sound very good with my SR6200 in non-Source Direct. If Source Direct is ultimately best, fine, but I'd really like to give a try to listen to music with the subwoofer without the sound quality suffering.

So it looks like SR 7300/7300 ose's are around and reasonably priced.

1) Do any of the above meet my needs? Which ones?

2) Do I need to get the 7300 OSE or is the 7300 ok? The 7400?

3) The SR 8200 and 8300 (or 8200 upgraded) are available, but unless I have to, I don't want to spend more if the 7300/7300 ose is all I need. Do I need the 8200/8300? Why?

4) Canadian Brick and Mortar and Online Marantz Dealers?

5) As an aside, are there any NAD receivers without dropouts? I've not heard of a single one apart from a T760 (T761?) I heard 3 years ago!

Anybody have any thoughts?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
8300 has been discontinued and the 8400 should hit stores shorly, so I'd say wait a bit and see if you can pick up a clearance 8300!! When I bought the 8300, I actually went in looking for a clearance 8200, because my dealer was selling their demo units for $800 and NIB for $950. The only reason to go with the 8300 is for the extra power, but if you might consider external amplification at some point as I have (even with the 8300's 125wpc), then the 8200/8300 is a bit of overkill. The 7300/OSE will give you everything but THX processing, and the OSE has the same power supply as the 8200, IIRC.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I had some of the same concerns, as I too noticed the sound degredation of the 6200 in non-Source Direct. I liked the idea of the 7300 OSE with better DACs, gold-plated connectors, adjustable crossover and heftier power supply. I'll bet the OSE can be found cheaply now, but since the 7400 has been out for a while the 7300 OSE might be hard to find.

However, the specs on the new 8400 might be too good to pass up: 7.1, torroid (sp) power supply, gold-plated connectors, and DPL 2x. The only negative factor is price, so I may wait a year to get the 8400 on clearance :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm fed up with my SR 6200 right now. I need something to replace it with asap. Still considering an SR 7000 as a temporary fix. I'm still looking for the 7300 ose or the 7400 at a reasonable price. The 8200/8300/8400's are out of my budget :p

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
They're out of my price range also, unless I get one on a "super clearance" deal at the end of the year.

Re 7300 OSE vs. 7400 - I'd definitely go for the OSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks