What's new

Any heard if the PS2 will be lowering its price? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Its a given, but the question now is when.
Is it just me or has Nintendo been the only gaming company to do all the good things for America? Sega screwed us over many times (most recently with Shenmue II), Microsoft gave us the bad controller design (and lied about its functions), and Sony hasn't lowered the PS2 price yet. Nintendo at least hasn't lied to us, given us bad designs (in comparison to Japanese ones), or cancelled games at the last minute (unless they were on huge delays to begin with and just put them on their next console).

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I read that during the Christmas time frame they were not going to lower the price. They gave no ETA on when they will do it. They believed that at the current price and with what has been going on with the GameCube and the X-Box they will still be very competitive.
------------------
Dear Tick: What would you do if bees took over the world?
Egad, Hogarth! When the bees implement their worldwide Fascist regime, I will be the first to go down into the honey mines. I will be the first to carry their squirming larvae in my teeth, to smear royal jelly on their chosen queen. And why? Good heavens! On account of the stinging!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sony denied any price reduction, but every console manufacturer denies a reduction until it happens.
-Dave (ignoring off-topic flamebait)
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
A friend of mine owns a small video game store and he has heard from his suppliers that there will be a price drop, but not how much or when. They don't know but suspect it will drop about $50. There also say that instead of price drop this winter, there may be some pushes on bundles and even rebates. Buy a system and two games and get a $50 rebate. Or to that effect. This would alow you to design your own "bundle".

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Not before 2002. Wait until you see what happens with Dreamcast though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A price drop is inevitable. Whether its today, tomorrow, or 2002, it will happen.
I suspect that they will want to push software more since they make money with software and lose money with hardware sales. Next year, there will be a price drop, if not before then.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
The price drop will probably take place in the early months of 2002, when the game market really drops off after the Christmas rush.
If you want to save money on a PS2 purchase, check out Toys R Us next week. Buy any two PS2 games, get the third free. There's your $50 price cut.
wink.gif

------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed
[Edited last by Greg O' Connel on October 16, 2001 at 01:16 AM]

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
What's going to happen with Dreamcast? :)
I do plan on purchasing one, but I haven't gotten around to it just yet. I think $80 seems like a good deal, but if it's going to drop to $50 or less within a month, I can wait.
------------------
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Think of the Dreamcast thing this way: retailers don't want to give shelf space to an out-of-production console. Especially with two new consoles launching soon.
Take that info and come to your own conclusions. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
So, with the reductions in price of the games, you'll probably be able to buy a Dreamcast and Crazy Taxi for, say, about the price of Crazy Taxi for the PS2. Now thats just silly.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
If this does indeed happen I might be tempted to pick up a PS2, if only for GT3 and MGS2 (boy that is looking awesome).

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Both me and Camp have the same info from two different sources and its very similar so if you get our hints, Dreamcast owners will have a reason to hug their little white/grey boxes this winter.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
What Camp & Kelley have stated are both on the mark...
God...the decisions that we have to make on buying...
Link Removed
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Dreamcast owners will have a reason to hug their little white/grey boxes this winter.
What about soon-to-be owners? Will we get to share the love as well? Link Removed

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Ok guys - 'fess up the info pertaining to
Dreamcast owners will have a reason to hug their little white/grey boxes this winter
I'm sure that information isn't soley privvy to you two guys, so come out with it so I don't have to search around on other boards and newsgroups.
smile.gif

------------------
My Top 10 Movies http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005503-6.html#146

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks