What's new
World Wide Stereo

Any files or images of a Whole House wiring system (1 Viewer)

PAPutzback

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
I am looking at buying a new house and was curious if there were any pro installers that might be able to share a whole house wiring diagram with me. I just want to know what the typical runs are for a house and what can I do to make sure future runs are easy to add. I was thinking at the minimum two ethernet jacks and two coax jacks in each room. Thinking each bedroom would potentiatly have a pc and a media center extender in the room eventually. And then one coax for the TVs tuner and then another for sharing a video from a central location thru the use of balluns and a central video output device.

But I am truly clueless. Would a complete wiring have a cat6 run to the kitchen? How many? It would be nice to have a gallery of these wiring diagrams as a reference.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
For General Future proof wiring most locations in the house should have a minimum of 2 Cat5/6 and 2 Coax at all locations. 3 Coax if you are planning DVR/Tivo which takes up 2 coax alone. Leaving you with one coax for OTA or Backfeeds.

Main Equipment areas should have 2 Cat5/6 and 4 coax. Giving you Phone, Network, Dual Satellite (needed for Tivo etc), one coax for FM/OTA and One Coax for possible backfeeds. Additional Coax can be run if you are going to share Zone outputs to other systems.

If you want to do any other future proofing Smurf tubing can be installed for future Fiber or other wiring that may be needed in the future. It's a Flexable empty pipe that should also go from location to the Basement Distribution panel.

All Coax and Cat 5 should be run to the area near your other service panels in the basement near where the Electrical panel, Security Panel, and other system panels are located.

Another good "Future proofing trick" is to run a 2" pipe chase from the Distribution Panel area to the Attic. Especially if you have either a 2 story building or if you are going to drywall your basement ceiling at least you would have access to the interior walls from the attic.

Simple Basic Diagram...
http://www.copper.org/copperhome/Hom...m_ntwrkng.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks