What's new

Any Early Word Of Mouth On 'Hearts In Atlantis' (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
I am a big fan of some of King's works adapted to the big screen...Dead Zone, Shawshank, Green Mile, Misery, Shining, Carrie, Cujo, Stand By Me, Dolores Claiborne
the fact that William Goldman did the screenplay is also encouraging
secondly I guess I need to make up my mind whether or not I want to read the book before seeing the movie (I have not done so yet)
Lastly I see a new King book just came out, 'Black House', the follow up to 1984's 'The Talisman' (which I also have never read)..anyone pick this up??? thoughts???

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
You should read "Hearts of Atlantis" before seeing the movie.......... for sure.
Just received the "Black House" from Amazon. Probably take about a month for me to read it......... not enough time and I read at about the speed of say a nine or ten year old. Not really fair to the 9-10 year olds.........
geo
Live Long and Prosper..............

RicP

Screenwriter
You should read "Hearts of Atlantis" before seeing the movie
I agree. Even if you just read the "Low Men in Yellow Coats" story. That's the primary one that the film is based on. "Why we're in Vietnam" is in there a little too. The film may make more sense to you after reading those stories in the book.
quote: Lastly I see a new King book just came out, 'Black House', the follow up to 1984's 'The Talisman' (which I also have never read).
Ah! Blasphemy!!
tongue.gif

Get the new reprinted Hardcover edition of The Talisman and get Black House at the same time. Then sit back and prepare to escape to an incredible world. Jack Sawyer and his story will captivate you and take you away to a fantastic place.
Black House takes place 20 years after The Talisman and has links to many other King works such as Hearts In Atlantis, Insomnia, and the Dark Tower Series.
Read them both...you won't be disappointed.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott -9-11-01...Remember.
[Edited last by RicP on September 17, 2001 at 08:49 PM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing this tomorrow night. I haven't read Stephen King in years (save for "On Writing") so I won't be able to compare this to the book. Regardless, I'll give y'all the heads up.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
FYI, There is a national sneak preview of this film this Friday and Saturday night.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
As a Stephen King fan I found this book a definite step up from his previous recent efforts such as Bag of Bones.
The book is really 3 stories and the movie focuses on the first. The first part is in the same territory as Stand By Me. One must believe with Anthony Hopkins in it - this should elevate the story alone.
Here's a couple of links of reviews: http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10209 http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10100 http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10105
Be warned spoilers are found throughout them.
Can't wait to read the sequel to the Talisman!
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
Link Removed
[Edited last by Lou Sytsma on September 18, 2001 at 08:12 AM]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Saw it last week and liked it. Fine performances by Anthony Hopkins, Hope Davis, and the kids. Interesting story told with subtlety. Excellent use of the camera. I haven't finalized my review, and I'm debating three or three and a half stars. Good film.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Holy Smokes! I did not realize that "Black House" was a sequel to "The Talisman"! I will buy that book today! "The Talisman" was just fantastic. One of my favorite books. "God Pounds His Nails!"
------------------
Scott A. McGillivray
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
"Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man; I will question you,
and you shall answer me." - God
Link Removed

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Let's see here, we've got William Goldman, one of my favorite screenwriters, handling the adaptation which he calls his best after Princess Bride and Butch Cassidy, we've got Scott Hicks, one of the most talented and intriguing directors working today (Snow Falling on Cedars was a seriously underrated masterpiece imho) and Anthony Hopkins, one of the top actors in the world, and a real gentleman (whom I can personally vouch for; when I worked briefly on Hannibal he was unerringly polite to the entire cast, crew, even the extras, hell he even bothered to learn my name, and the names of all the other PAs). In case you still don't get it, I'm there! Definitely one of my most anticipated of Oscar season!
- Guy

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
...Black House takes place 20 years after The Talisman and has links to many other King works such as Hearts In Atlantis, Insomnia, and the Dark Tower Series.
Read them both...you won't be disappointed.
Ric,
You already finished BLACK HOUSE?
eek.gif
I started reading it on Monday and I am not even halfway through it. For what it's worth, I thought the first 50-100 pages were extremely slow-paced. The story appears to have picked up speed (and my interest) since then, however. This should be an interesting finish.
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

RicP

Screenwriter
Ric,
You already finished BLACK HOUSE?
Yep. :)
I actually got an Advance Copy weeks ago. Benefits of the industry I'm in.
The first couple of chapters were written almost solely by Straub, who then sent the manuscript to King and they worked pretty much together from that point on. That could explain your comments about the first part of the novel.
The Dark Tower links are very interesting, I mean there were DT links in the First Talisman as well, but they really pour it on here, Insomnia is referenced as well.
It's a great story. I heartily recommend it. :)
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Ric,
I am very glad to hear you enjoyed it. I will now relish the last 400-plus pages I have left.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Good but not great-- it's a bit clumsy in parts and Goldman's dialogue has not improved that much. But the acting -- particularly the lead boy -- is really good and there's a real heartfelt bond between him and Hopkins. It has a distinct sense of nostalgia that's common to both King's non-horror pieces as well as a lot of Castle Rock films. Good photography, but some plot holes (mostly dealing with the all-too-vague nature of Hopkins' character and the connection between the lead and his best friend Sully, who he's supposed to be tight with but barely is in the picture at all) which detract from the over-all tone.
I'm surprised this wasn't bumped up a week to fill the hole that is this week's box office ("Glitter" is going to tank; Fox is dumping it)-- a heartwarming and emotional piece like this is something many in this country need.
I'd give it three stars out of four.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
This was completely formulaic and not in a good way. Typical coming of age influenced by outsider-type older person movie, this time it's just combined with an X-File. The usual unsubtle use of period music. A lack of logical flow to the storyline. The villains of the piece are poorly defined. Hopkins has the stock "kindly mentor" role, with plenty of pithy sounding, but ultimately rote and meaningless, lines of dialogue. I also didn't find the kid to be a very convincing actor.
But to contrast, my wife, who is a much bigger King fan than I am, liked it quite a bit, and the woman sitting to my left was crying by the end.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I liked it, although there were a few problems.
Some of the key emotional scenes just didn't quite reach the level that I had hoped. Mainly Spoiler:when Ted decides he has to leave and when Bobby beats up the bully because there wasn't enough time dedicated towards making the emotional connection that those scenes needed. I had purposely avoided reading the book (to preserve the enjoyment of watching the film) and may find that there is additional story there that could have been used.
But, all in all, the audience enjoyed it and I was impressed by the vivid world that they created. I think I'll give the book a try now.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I saw a trailer for it on TV over the weekend, it had two blurbs from "Sixty Second Preview". This is not a good sign... Read an article where they said that "Sixty Second Preview" gives out blurbs for movies for money. Every time I've seen a blurb from them in the past, the movie was not good.
------------------
Jake
http://www.jawsmovie.com My JAWS Fansite
Link Removed My Arcade PC
Link Removed My Home Theater Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks