What's new

any chance of darkman spec ed or color of money ? (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I'd love to see all of the above mentioned films remastered.

I can't believe Universal didn't put out the directors cut of The Frighteners out to coincide with one of the Lord of the Rings films. Hell, I'd settle for a non anamorphic version if I had to. Anythings better than paying the huge prices for the LD on ebay or the terrible LD to VHS to DVD bootleg that's floating around.

Speaking of Jackson I can't believe none of his films were re-released in the past few years. What ever happened to the Meet the Feebles SE Anchor Bay was going to put out? I'd love a nice full, uncut R1 version of Brain Dead or Dead Alive, call it whatever they want just include all of the footage, please.

Same thing with Darkman. Why didn't it come out after Spider-Man 1? Here's your ad: "The first superhero film from Sam Raimi, director of Spider-Man. Featuringing Oscar nominated Liam Neeson, star of Schindler's List and Star Wars Episode One and Frances McDormand, Oscar winning star of Fargo. Rated R" It would sell pretty well I think.

And Tremors has a hideous transfer. I think my vhs copy looks just as good if not better. It has a strong fan base and I know it would sell quite well. And what's the story on the Tremors TV series? Is it ever coming out?

I guess that's it for my rant. Hopefully someone from Universal or Anchor Bay are listening.

Brett C

Second Unit
If a Darkman SE ever cameout it'd be without the involvement of Sam Raimi. He had a horrible experiance making it and expressed no interest in revisting it for a DVD when asked in an interview recently.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Horrible experience? Anyone know any details?

I seem to remember hearing that the studio imposed cuts on DARKMAN...if true, anyone know what was chopped?

By the by, I picked up the existing edition of TREMORS, and loved it. The transfer is not horrible, it's quite serviceable in fact, although it could use an upgrade. I don't see how the excellent extras could be improved upon except for the addition of a commentary with Ron Underwood, Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon...now that would be the icing on the cake.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, DARKMAN was Sam's first studio experience and he was run roughshod over it. There's a lot more fantastic stuff cut out of it-- crazy, inside-Peyton's-mind material and a lot with Louis Strack, the megalomaniac villiain. There was a bizarre scene with him naked on a bed full of krugerrands. At least all of the studio interference didn't ruin the movie the way it did with CRIMEWAVE (which he and Bruce still call "Slimewave"). I'm curious what Sam says in that one interview Brett referenced.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Oh my GOD, I have to see these scenes, dammit! Have you seen them, or just read about them? An uncut DARKMAN would be so fab...I love it even in its compromised form.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, at the zero hour Sam did put his foot down and was able to get SOME studio-excised material reinstated to DARKMAN shortly before the theatrical release. If you look closely at the DVD transfer, you'll occasionally see one-frame "jumps" in the middle of shots. These are areas where Sam had footage put back in AFTER the negative had been cut the first time around.

I'd love to see a true "director's cut" some day, but at the very least Sam was able to get SOME of the stuff the studio had initially cut put back into the film.

As for FRIGHTENERS, I'd imagine with Universal being behind KING KONG, they're gonna want to tie it in with that. Maybe the extended cut was never transfered in High-Def, and with Jackson having been so busy for so long with the LOTR films, he didn't have time to supervise a new transfer of the long cut.

Vincent

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey,

I haven't seen the scenes, but they were referenced in the comics and in some studio publicity stills (particularly the Krugerrands shot). I interviewed Sam and Rob Tapert at that time and he was obviously a bit frustrated, but still very diplomatic and gentlemanly towards Universal for giving him this shot. A lot of that good will, however, disappeared when they screwed him a second time with ARMY OF DARKNESS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks