What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any Babylon 5 S2 reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'm glad I decided to get mine at a B&M. They haven't solved the packaging problem. Discs 2 and 4 were loose when I opened it up. Disc 2 was fine, but 4 has some small scratches on it. I need to see if the scratches are going to cause problems.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, I had to exchange it, but the second one I picked up was a pristine copy. All 6 discs were still firmly in their hubs.

And yes, I did the normal research to see if the first one I bought had any rattlers in it, but they didn't make a sound other than the booklet shifting (same sound the Transformers sets make). Probably should have opened it before I left the store, like I did with the exchange copy.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Picked up my triple-points Suncoast preorder this morning. All discs firmly attached. Watched the first 2 eps, now I am at work *sigh*.

Blu

Screenwriter
Mine was shipped all the way from Canada and all the discs are firmly in place!

I am embarking now upon the second season and contemplating calling in sick tomorrow to watch this!

hehehe!!!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Im half way done with the season. This is where things get really good :)

capt

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah B5 sets are selling very fasy. Both sets sold out at our local bestbuy and other dvd selling stores on there release days

capt

Eric C D

Second Unit
Just to help the statistical cause:

Best Buy - opened the set before leaving - no loose disks.

I haven't watched any of these since the original showings, so this is really my first chance to see *how* much was foreshadowed ;)

Thank you JMS,

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It took me 10 minutes to find a copy at FutureShop. I missed the display entirely, because it was almost sold out. I got the 2nd last copy!

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
The gag reel is definitely there, although it is an abridged version of the season two gag reel I'd seen before. Which is annoying as some of the funnier stuff (with Bill Mumy: "Who does your bone?") was missing, but I assume it is a rights thing.

I'm sad about the way the credits are redone, by the way. In the original versions, the actors' names are in the letterbox portions; since the "letterbox portions" are now mostly taken up by the 16x9 frame, the credits have been redone (in an uglier font) and now cover the lower half of the actors' faces when they appear.

Not sure how I would have gotten around this, though, except perhaps to shrink the names down a bit. But I'm not sure that's contractually possible-- isn't there some sort of legal guideline for how large the talents' names have to be?

Other than that, it's a nice set, mostly. I think the framing looks a bit off, with too much headroom in some shots, and not enough in others, but this is apparently how JMS wants it, so that's how it will be.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Picked up the last copy on the shelf at the Best Buy on Madison's West side after work on Tuesday.

Hope to crack the shrink wrap on it and spin a few tonight!

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Well I got my copy of B5 season 2 yesterday. I spent the better part of 9 hours watching it last night. I have to agree that the CGI is alot better then the first box set. There are still a few places that the picture is fuzzy, but I can live with it.

I hope that you all get your copies soon. They are great.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Other than that, it's a nice set, mostly. I think the framing looks a bit off, with too much headroom in some shots, and not enough in others, but this is apparently how JMS wants it, so that's how it will be.
Yes, I noticed this too.

BTW, I'm down to the last 2 episodes on Disc 6. Just finished disc 5 this morning and I'll finish it up this evening after work.

I got my set on Monday via DeepDiscount which was shipped last Thursday.

Picture quality is still a bit substandard IMO. I have to sit about 15' away from my TV to get a fairly clear picture.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
I think the framing looks a bit off, with too much headroom in some shots, and not enough in others, but this is apparently how JMS wants it, so that's how it will be.
I think most of this comes when on-screen graphics appear, then disappear. It's most obvious during "And Now For A Word", when everyone's name and rank, etc appears during the documentary. Because they're pan-n-scanned shots bumped to 16x9 anamorphic, they have to pan down to fit the title card in, losing headroom, and if you look carefully you can see the slow re-adjustment upwards after the title card fades out.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I was thinking mostly of medlab scenes in the first two episodes. Perhaps this is because I find Franklin the least interesting character, and am more apt to have my eyes roaming during his scenes than in others.

If the computer graphics in medlab are CGI, this could be the reason. They look pretty simplistic to be CGI, though(a couple of blinking lights, etc.).

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
My set was shipped from Canada. It arrived a few days ago with no loose discs. This is an improvement over season 1, which was purchased locally and had 2 "floaters." Since the packaging appears to be identical to season 1, however, I suspect this is merely luck.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Aaron, I replied to you in the thread about DVD Profiler.

Now back to B5, I am about half way through disk 4 and I notice that alot to the shots are chopped. The heads of the main characters are missing the top part. It is like they took a pan and scan pic and chopped the top and bottom to make a 16X9 format. I found that in alot of sceen with close up sceens of the actors, this is most noticable.

That is my 2 cents, I am still very glad to have bought it since I loved the entire story. I cannot wait to see the rest of the season box sets.

Stephane

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Stephane:

Diffrent Aaron, actually. :)

Whenever there is a computer generated effect on screen merged in with live video (or a virtual set), there's going to be cropping of the 4:3 image and upconversion instead of broadening to the 16:9 frame. In some cases (in Season 1; haven't run across this yet in Season 2), the 4:3 frame is stretched to 16:9 instead.

I think it looks like a$$ myself, but other "purists" apparently consider it good enough. And since we're not likely to ever see the series on DVD in its original 4:3 ratio (because WB never cared much for the series, and because it was a cult hit and not really a pop hit), there's really no choice but to make the purchase despite the (IMO) hacked-up imagery, if you want the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks