What's new

Anthem AVM-20 New Chipset (1 Viewer)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
In a previous thread, there was some discussion if the Anthem AVM-20 was currently shipping with the newest chipset from Motorola.
Being the inquisitive guy that I am, I was going to remove the cover, but decided against such an act.
So, I took a magnifying glass, used a torch and was able to read the chip set number off the board.
If this is the correct method of identification, I looked into the left side vent and saw on the daughter board this chip number:
Motorola
DSPC56367PV150
OK41R
HCHO219
According to Dennis's post on a previous thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...5445&highlight
The current chipset is the Motorola DSP56366 which is being replaced by the Motorola DSP56367.
So, it appears that Anthem IS shipping newer units with the NEWEST DSPC56367PV150 chip set and the unit would only need the software upgrade 2.0 to add the new sound fields.
Am I on track with this discovery?
This may be old news to many of you, but I was concerned I'd have to shell out another $300 for the upgrade.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
It would appear that you do have the new chip. What firmware are you running? This is great news, it means that the upgrade isn't far away

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Why didn't we think of this earlier?!? :)
I guess if you have 1.16 you must have the new DSP? That seems logical. It pretty much confirms we're just waiting for complete software.
Odd that Anthem hasn't been more forthcoming with this information. It's not like it needs to be a secret.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Camp and Dennis,

The software version is 1.16.

Perhaps the reason they are not forthcoming with the information on the new chip being shipped is:

They have limited inventory and don't want the upgrade requests/demand to overwhelm their inventory/supply.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Oh yea, there is no way they can charge anything significant for the upgrade now. Just following the newer AVM-20 owners on this forum who have the 1.16 software proves they haven't paid any more than I did with 1.12.

They have limited inventory and don't want the upgrade requests/demand to overwhelm their inventory/supply.
Excellent point.

Chas,

Can you describe exactly where the chip is located? I tried looking through my vents but couldn't make anything out. Of course, my unit is running 1.12 so I'm pretty sure it's the older chip.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Can you describe exactly where the chip is located?
If you stand at the front of the panel, there are vents on the left and right. Look into the left vent, with a flashlight and some type of magnifying device.
It's the first visible board that you can see when you look straight down. That is the DSP processing board.
The chip itself is about six inches in from the front of the component and is the largest one on the board, but you have to look deeper to the right to see it. It's almost hidden by the case looking directly down, but the vents allow you to see it if you look to the right. I tried to take some pics, but it's impossible to get a clear shot.
I came up with the idea to look in there from this review, which shows some photos of the guts of the unit. It's just like a PC.
Link Removed
If you look at the pic on the review of the AVM-20 DSP Board, then match it up to the case off pic in the same review, you will have an idea of what you are looking for.
On the one pic, the chip has an arrow pointing to it. Motorola DSP Chip is the designation.
You'll need a magnifying glass to view the numbers on the chip, unless you are an eagle eye. I am an old guy here, so I don't fit that category. :) I just used an old reading magnifier that was lying around the house and although it was difficult, I was able to depict the number sequence.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Awesome Idea.
I just checked mine. Didn't need the magnifying glass. DSPC56367PV150 and ver 1.16 firmware! Shafer city!

2.0 where are you????

Marc

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Not to be the party pooper, but SF could still charge those with the new chipset since upgraded software still needs to be downloaded or activated to use the new hardware.

It doesn't make much sense to me that the dealers have to upgrade either hardware/software or just software, i.e. two upgrade paths.

Oh well, I'm still waiting to see what falls out before I commit.

Bob

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Agreed Bob. Perhaps they will use something similar to Microsoft's software where an operating system or their packaged productivity software can only be installed on one machine with a specific key code needed to activate it? However, hackers (which I am not) are good at this stuff and key/activation codes tend to get passed around very quickly.
I am sure there are various business approaches they use to jingle more coins out of it's user base. However, as always, what goes around comes around. I am quite sure the end users would shake the trees a bit if this happens.
One of the items that does not impress me about Anthem at this point is if you check their website, they still have version 1.12 and not the latest 1.16 version. Maybe there is a reason for this.
I am not sure if the 1.16 version will function properly with the older chipset of DSP56366. Maybe someone can address that issue here on the forum.
Perhaps the 1.16 was written as temporary code until the full functionality and complete code set is completed or there is something hiding in the woods here in that version.
People who write code can pretty much do what they want and it would not surprise me if Anthem may have something up their sleeve.
I'll make some phone calls this week and see if I can get some straight answers. I'm generally fairly good at finding out information and not afraid to be a pain in the butt if needed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Because Paradigm and Anthem are now sleeping together, the company culture of Paradigm may be absorbed by Anthem. In the past I've attempted to acquire information on Paradigm's business plan with new products and run into brick walls. However, product secrecy is not exclusive to these/this companies/company.
So, we shall just have to wait and see what occurs in the next few months. I am sure if anyone hears anything, we will be the first to know.
By the way, the next time I have a party, I'll make sure to leave your name off the invitation list!! :D
That was a joke!! :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
One of the items that does not impress me about Anthem at this point is if you check their website, they still have version 1.12 and not the latest 1.16 version. Maybe there is a reason for this.
I think 1.16 must be required by the new DSP. Previous threads have tried to figure out what may be different in 1.12 & 1.16. It's pretty clear they are functionally identical. Therefore it makes since that 1.16 is just a version of 1.12 written for the new DSP. A download to older AVM-20's probably wouldn't even run.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I Just called anthem and actually spoke to the guy I have been in email contact with. He varified that that was the new chip.

Not all good news but interesting.

He said that They are very close to getting the software together and may have something by the end of the week.

The not so good news. He said they are having trouble getting everything to work with that chip. There is a chance that they may go with a totally different chip.

He sounded very possitive and upbeat 'I don't know if you will need to swap that one out' but again he sounded possitive (so nobody start freaking out) and again said we may see something (software) by the end of the week.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Marc

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Chas::p)......:D
Marc, maybe too much information is not a good thing. I agree, cross your fingers......
Bob

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the update Marc.

I wonder what chip they could replace? It must be one of the supporting chips, not the main chip (56367).

So he did verify that if it does work with our chip, we do not have to buy the upgrade and all we need it the software?

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
That is the way that ts sounded. He did not say anthing definative. I took it as it would be one the web site like all the other upgrades. But, again, he did not say anything definative. I did not ask him that question directly.
Marc(FREAK!)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Marc, Thanks for the update.
I would think the code would/could be modified before before changing processor/rom chips.
If you think about it, IF they need to change the newest chip/chips/board, Anthem sure went about this the WRONG way.
The process flow and testing on this upgrade should have been to test the NEW chip with the NEW code they are writing before they ship either one individually or collectively.
If they need to change the new boards already, then Anthem went the assumption route, which is deadly in the business world and life in general. Yet, they would not be the first to do so. However, it's all part of the testing process/QC when releasing something new to consumers.
If they need to change the processor chip/ROM, it could get ugly from a cost perspective and a pain in the "chip" for us to recall the units they have shipped with the latest DSPC56367 chip.
I'm not a electronics expert, but it looks like the board that the processor and ROM chips are on, is not upgradable like a CPU on a motherboard. It appears to be a fixed piece with the chips mounted directly to the board. I do think it would be an entire board swap if needed.
Anyway, this is all pure speculation so we'll have to see what the outcome is. I'm not Anthem bashing here. I love this pre-pro and it's a welcome addition to my system.
However, sometimes I just don't quite understand how and why something like this could occur if "All the ducks are in line." Quack, Quack...
We shall play the waiting game!!!! :D
Thanks again Marc :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
If they need to change the new boards already, then Anthem went the assumption route, which is deadly in the business world and life in general
Not necessarily. Motorola could eat some of the cost too. Mortorola might have scaled back production of the older chip to the point where SF had to go with the new chip.
Of course this is all speculation so who knows? :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Not necessarily. Motorola could eat some of the cost too. Mortorola might have scaled back production of the older chip to the point where SF had to go with the new chip.
We are playing supply chain managers here. You bring up a valid point about exhausting the supply of older inventory and staring production runs on a new product. That makes perfect sense to me. Great point.
In the initial post Camp, I was referring to the positive/negative aspect of consumer confidence in a company. I am always skeptical of companies that "shoot from the hip," but in this case, we may never know the reason why they are shipping the new chip if it does not function properly and new boards are in order.
Let's just hope that the 2.0 software and the newer DSPC56367PV150 chip work well together. I'll be optomistic and borrow a famous line from one of my favorite shows which is, "Make it so." :) :D
I too mailed the Anthem tech guys today and the quote from them on release of the 2.0 update was;
"Very soon, we're almost there."
Cheers..........

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm just jealous of you guys with the new DSP pre-installed. You only need a quick software download...I need to wait for my damn dealer to receive new hardware before I can enjoy! :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Guys,
What about licensing fees? Those aren't free.
To activate the (potentially new) formats you need to pay additional licenses for:
Dolby Pro-Logic-2
DD Surround EX (formerly THX Surround EX)
DTS-ES (matrix and discrete)
DTS:Neo
I might be leaving a few other license items out.
While delivery of the enabling software might be really cheap, the payments for the new licensing adds substantially to the cost.
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks