Another DIY rack

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by TimBr, May 20, 2005.

1. TimBr

TimBr Auditioning

Sort of a Flexi design...

I work for a hunting treestand manufacturer and we use aluminum extrusions all over the place - they are about 1.25" square with a channel on one side. We also have a particular stand that uses these little triangular brackets for a bar stop - that so happen to fit into the channel.

Two of the extrusions are only attached at the top and bottom with screws, the other two have threaded rod like a flexi rack. The shelves free float on cut down brackets - that are screwed in at whatever height I want (the only real drawback is they have to be screwed in but how often will I want to change that? - I hope never).

The wood is 7 ply birch with a clear acrylic finish. I polished the supports and painted them with a clearcoat. The brackets were too tedious to polish so they got sand blasted instead.

Needless to say, it looks nothing like a treestand. Matching speaker stands and a TV stand with integrated center channel stand and DVD drawer coming fairly soon (by summer).

You will have to cut and paste as I am a newbie and can't post URL's just yet...

home.hiwaay.net/~lbrewer/images/rack/rack01.jpg

More at...

home.hiwaay.net/~lbrewer/images/rack/

2. TimBr

TimBr Auditioning

If some one would like to post a direct image link to one of those, I would be thankful.

[​IMG]

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

yea... nice rack [​IMG]

someone had to post it[​IMG]

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How do you find its sturdiness and resistance to swaying, torquing, things like that?

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

how did you polish the aluminum? just with a buffer and a polishing compound?

7. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

...and if a deer happens to waltz through your HT, you can jump onto the rack and blast away!

very nice job!

8. jasonBarczew

jasonBarczew Auditioning

Great Design, I was looking to buils a rack and have been looking for something just like this but in a darker finish. Could you share the rough dimensions?

thanks and again...great job

9. TimBr

TimBr Auditioning

Thanks for all the kind words!

It really turned out better than I though - even my wife approves. She was less than enthusiastic about the idea of me building furniture [​IMG]

45" overall height. Shelves are spaced 10, 9, 8, 8, 7. The top and bottom are 25.75 wide by 20 long, the rest of the shelves are 19 w by 16 l.

10. TimBr

TimBr Auditioning

220-300-400-600-1000 wet sanded. Looking back, I could have probably skipped 220 and 400. I then used a drill mounted 4" buffing wheel and mag wheel polish. I hand buffed one and it came out a little more reflective but it took forever.

11. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

I am going to polish up a stainless steel keg (gonna be a nice lamp when done) and i am just getting ideas on the process how to tackle it.

12. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Timbr,...
    Ha!,..The rack looks great. I spend a LOT of time in the woods during the fall and winter. Much of it in a stand,..Never thought I would see a tree stand as an audio rack,...Awesome!

>>>--->

13. Roly

Roly Auditioning

Excellent job, looks very professional!

Dude you gotta hide the wires.[​IMG]

Congratulations

Roly