What's new

Amplifier to enable surround back speakers on Onky NR509? (1 Viewer)

MikeLeone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Leone
I could use some advice. My NR509 says that it will do 6.1 or 7.1 surround, but to do that, I would need to connect an amplifier to the pre-outs and run those speaker(s) from that amplifier (if I understand it correctly). I've never used a separate amplifier, just receivers. So can somebody expand a bit on what I need, and perhaps a recommendation on what to get? I'm guessing that since all I'm really looking for is something to power 1 or 2 surround back speakersspeakers, I don't really need something high end or really powerful. I'd need an amplifier with pre-out inputs? And connections for at least 2 speakers, of course. :) The NR509 is an 80 watt receiver, I believe. Thanks in advance

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
My NR509 says that it will do 6.1 or 7.1 surround ...
Not really. My read of the manual indicates that it will just send the surround signals to the rear channels; you won't be getting "true" 7.1, just the 5.1 output from the extra speakers. Hardly worth hooking up another amp in my opinion. The more common use of the zone2 is to play the front L/R in another room. It's just that on this receiver, the zone2 isn't amplifiied. If you had another stereo amp you could connect the zone to to an aux input and play the signal from the primary receiver. Plus like a lot of manufacturer's zone2's, it only send analog out the zone2 connection. If you have another amp/receiver laying around it would be worth playing with, but no way would I purchase an amp to get this feature. You be better off just buying a true 7.1 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks