What's new

amplifer (1 Viewer)

ChrisSC

Auditioning
I was wondering if it is possible to hardwire an automotive amplifier into your home. Pressently I am using a power inverter and at loud volume the sub woofer turns off of hums. Any help would be appriciated.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
The price of a high amperage 12v DC converter is not cost effective. You're better off sellinbg the car amp and buying a dedicated home amp.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that one of the forum's sponsers will have an amp that will fit your needs at a reasonable cost.

if not try parts express, or Adire audio. And get a amp designed for a home audio subwoofer. In the long run you will be much happier.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess it'd be a cooling/heat-sink/fan issue with the home/consumer amps vs. a car amp that's designed to run in harsher climates or lowly ventilated areas.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
:)
Wayne,
looong ago, when the I saw the Carver cube amp for the first time, (car audio was not as bigas today) I remember thinking, "In my truck??' and grilling my electrician father, 'Dad, how big a convertor would I need for an amp this big?' His answer- No. :)

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
The home stuff in a car can and has been done. The most outrageous one I have seen is the editor of widescreen reveiw installed a mirage BPSS-210 in the trunk of his Impalla SS. They did a feature on it I can't remember the issue I will have to ask my brother he has it still. I remember thinking even if I had the money, why?:confused: If memory serves he also had a DD/DTS decoder in there and a whole bunch of other stuff before they actually made DD/DTS mobile decoders.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
in a amp they have a bult in ac-dc converter. in car amps they are not as efeshent as a home amp beacues there is so much curent in a dc 12 v setup in a car.

bondrey

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Sorry to hijack the post but saw the moderator say not to start new topics that already exist.
I've searched the forum on high amperage DC converters and haven't found much except that it's too expensive. My question is how expensive is it? I'm not sure exactly what to look for. I have an Audiobahn 12" 1100W-RMS speaker in sealed box and a 919W-RMS Mono Kenwood amp. I got rid of the hot rod for an '06 Civic and don't want to waste the trunk space (or add'l weight) and can't sell the setup for nearly what I paid, so would like to put it on my home theatre to save money on upgrading my home setup. Right now it's just a 125W 12" JVC (part of JVC receiver/speaker setup).
I'm looking to get a Harman/Kardon V240 receiver by Dec then upgrade the speakers and thought I could save money on the sub and have a nicely powered one by using my audiobahn/kenwood setup. Thoughts?
Would a 25 amp converter work? I'm thinking I'd probably fry it but haven't found anything higher.
TIA,
Brandon

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
In theory your electric 120volt outlet will have at least a 15amp circut. So in theory step that down to 12 volts you should be able to get as much as 150amps available. I can't imagine the cost of such a transformer!.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Dang... just found a 120 volt input-15amp 12volt DC output... only $2437.00. :)

bondrey

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
sorry guys, meant the 25 amps was on the DC side. Figured my amp would fry that.

turkeylord

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

turkeylord

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
I paid about $150 from Page Computer.. Not sure if they still sell them.. it'll do 40A..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks