What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Yup, the show was pretty boring, song-wise, but the performances were "wonderful" to watch.

I think Syesha is in REAL trouble this week...she keeps picking songs that have vocals that are so identified with the artist that it's hard to see her doing better...but SHE certainly seems to think she does and her attitude doesn't help her.

Carly sucked BIG time...(it reminded me of that old saying "I can't carry a tune unless it has handles!"). Carly couldn't get a grip on the handles at all.

Hated David C's song choice/performance/outfit/hand-graffitti.

David A's performance ended up being my favorite of the night, although "Angels" (the Robbie Williams version, NOT the abysmal cover by Jessica Simpson) is one of my all-time favorite songs. He started out a little weak, but REALLY did well with the last half. Every time they show his dad I think, "Do you ever read the stories about how you (allegedly) treat David?"
I also got a chuckle out of the sign some girl in the audience had raised after his performance: "I Love Lip Licking!"

Jason Syesha & Brooke or David C in the bottom three.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Question for you all:

Which past Idol contestant does Michael Johns most remind you of?

(We're having a little debate amongst co-workers.)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Note to Terri Hatcher-- don't quit your day job.

That was downright painful to listen to.

mylan

Screenwriter
I am watching casually but I did have to sit when Heart/Fergie did Barracuda, It seemed as though Ann was under the weather and Fergie waited in the wings in case she was needed, after Fergie came out in those leather pants, I forgot all about it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
All in all a pretty self-indulgent, lame show. Most of the stars basically are only there to get face time so they can keep feeling smug about how they are so involved. Give me a break. Rob Snyder said it best. If all these stars actually cared, they could donate enough to solve all the problems.

Other comments:

If you are doing a piece on poverty, and how the mom can barely afford food, you might want to find a kid a little different that Calvinequa.

Loved seeing Sheila-E (sp?) accidentally knock over part of her drum kit. :)

Loved Jimmy Kimmel's roast of Simon.

If Great Britain just donated 200 Million dollars, shouldn't that be added to their total donations number?

For that last group song, they should have made Syesha wear pants (or a long dress). LOL

One serious question. We are told that Aids is not spread by touch, and only spread through exchange of bodily fluids. If this is true, why is aids spreading around as much as they are saying? How is it being spread around?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Bodily fluids, for the most part. Examples include sharing of needles for injection drugs, un-protected sex, and tainted blood (rare, this one).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Was Angels really not a big hit in the US? It was the song that 'saved' Robbie Williams' career (he says so on one of those behind-the-scenes of a concert tour documentaries), was a big hit here, and I've heard the Jessica Simpson version plenty of times as well, so I was rather surprised to hear comments on the show (and read them here) that it wasn't well known in the US. No matter, Archie did well enough, though I'd agree with Simon's comment that it was a bit nasal.

Carly tackled Queen, and failed. Trying anything the late great Freddie Mercury did, even when he was ill with AIDS, is always a huge risk. It paid off for Michael a few weeks ago, but Carly is in danger now. Also, linking to the 'well-known songs are better' idea, Show Must Go On was not a big hit, so again that would count against Carly.

I'd agree Brooke is safer staying behind a piano or guitar. Each time she's dared to venture out with nothing more than a mic stand to 'shield' her, she's looked awkward and ill at ease. The same could probably be said of Jason, and to a lesser extent David Cook (electric guitar in Cook's case).

I too never liked Fantasia. The raspy quality in her voice always annoyed me, and as already commented I Believe is such an overblown song anyway, I could never like it. Having said that, ironically I probably prefer Syesha's version over Fantasia. But that's probably like saying I'd prefer to break my leg instead of my arm...

The thing with this season is that the not-so-good contestants are not as obviously piss-poor as some of those who made top 12 in past seasons. So in some respects anything could happen, or perhaps it's easier to just predict who is reasonably safe, with the rest at risk. With that in mind, I'd say Archie and Johns are safe, the rest I really have no idea. But for the sake of my HTF challenge score, I need Kristy to go ASAP... :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
"Angels " was Robbie's second single off The Ego Has Landed which was a selection of tracks culled from his first two UK releases. It hit #41 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #10 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. It's quite a contrast to the UK where it hit #4 on its initial release, charted two more times on a re-release and was chosen as one of the BRITS 25 Best Songs of all time (the UK verson of the Grammys). I LOVE Robbie Williams and just don't understand the reluctance the US has towards his music.

I believe the "saved his carreer" comment referred to his almost being dropped by his UK label until "Angels" became a single there. He was a former member of Take That, a UK boy band in the early 90's and I think that the expectaion of his label was for him to do HUGE sales, which up to that time I don't think he had achieved.

RickGr

Second Unit
The biggest joke was Exxon Mobile sponsorship. They could cover the 100 million with a day or two of the PROFITS they are rolling in over the past couple of years. In fact they could donate a billion and still have a 15 billion dollar profit in this quarter alone.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator

Exxon Mobile is not a private company. Its stock is held by millions of shareholders, many ordinary people, who would be hurt if a company gave away their investment money.

Although it is popular to paint corporations as the enemy, it is important to keep in mind that they are made up of many little people, not one giant scary person. ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, and all those celebrities are much better off and able to donate the amounts necessary directly to make a difference. But instead, they try to beg it away from Main Street USA that lives paycheck-to-paycheck and is having to make hard choices between food, energy, and medicine. And that's only if the unemployment check covers the mortgage in the first place and they have any extra to buy food and such.

Celebrity-studded charity events don't touch me at all. If they donated 1% of their annual salaries, they'd still be richer anyone and the charities would be flush with cash.

With regard to the performances, what was with Mariah Carey's idiotic hand gestures while she was singing? Can't she just sing a song without conducting the imaginary orchestra in her little mind? Missed Robin Williams bit, but heard a clip on the radio this morning...sounded hilarious!

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Kimmel's "mini-roast" of Simon was hilarious and Sarah Silverman was pretty funny too.

I thought Teri Hatcher did a decent job with Carrie's song. She surprised me with it. For a moment I thought I was watching "Secret Talents of the Stars".

Fergie with Heart was kinda weird but damn she can sing and looked super hot.

I liked Billy Crystal's "generation gap" bit with "Millie Cirrus" - it was amusing. And Miley is a little hottie - I had to keep reminding myself that she's only 15...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
That girl is going to make even more money (if that's possible) as time goes on - she's got a lot of talent.

Thank goodness for DVRs - watched it all in about 45 mins ...
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

If you're into the joker look. At the right angles, she's a few years away from Leona Helmsley.

I liked the whole Idol Gives Back show. I really like that Carrie Underwood participated. I did see other Idols in the audience (Elliott Yamin among others). I would have liked to see more alumni participating.

Billy, Robin and Whoopie made me think of Comic Relief.

Miley is talented as a performer, but her songs do nothing for me (I'm not her target audience though, so that works out). She has great stage presence, especially for someone 15.

I had to rewind the last song to realize the first person on the left was Brooke. She looked really different with that straight hair. And yeah, Syesha's shorts looked funky and out of place.

One other small note about the show. I liked the opening Don't Stop The Music by Rihanna. It was notable to me because I've seen her perform it on late night talk shows, award shows, and I've seen the video, and it never caught me before. I've been totally unaffected by her status as this year's "it" girl. But last night, I enjoyed it. It sounded good, and it looked good.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Yeah, from the chin up, Fergie was really creeping me out. Is she doing botox, or has she already gone and had full blown, Burt Reynolds, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton surgery? At least with the second song, I was able to focus on the pants.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought Fergie's vocals on "Barracuda" were thin compared to Anne Wilson's (even at her age now). I don't "get" Fergie. I almost mistook Anne for Roseanne, though.

I also don't get the Miley Cyrus phenonema, either. I guess I'm getting old.

Annie Lennox wrecked me with her performance and her vignette on life in Africa.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, sometimes Fergie can look quite harsh in the face (that Leona Helmsley comment wasn't far off). Sometimes, though she looks pretty damn hot. Last night was about in the middle for me. But like Mike, I never made it up past her waist much.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks