What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Ace's voter demographic (8 - 13 yr old girls) went everywhere but to Kellie.

Kellie's voters - teenage boys who watch Idol and sympathic parents will now have to vote somewhere else...

Guessing the teen guys vote for Katherine and some to Chris.

The adults move their votes to Elliott and some to Taylor...

Paris is done.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

So they've done what they did last year? Once they are proven to be useless, they choose a front runner, then brag when that person wins. That site is a useless joke.

RickGr

Second Unit
I really do not think many teenage boys vote for any American Idol. Now teenage girls is a whole other matter.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Vote for the worst is overrated. I doubt a bunch of cynical, anti-idol people are going to waste their time voting over and over. At most that site probably generates 10,000 votes. I would guess even lower. Although, I have zero problem with the site and do think its humorous, it does annoy me that they take credit for how far somebody goes when in reality they aren't even half a fraction of all the voting.

danak

Second Unit
Song choice rumors:

Katharine - for her current Billboard choice, she is supposedly going to sing KT Kunstall's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"

Taylor - Supposedly Bon Jovi's "Who Says You Can't Go Home" for his current Billboard choice

Paris - For the year she was born, supposedly "Kiss", a remake of a Prince song by Tom Jones

This is going to be tough the next 4 weeks. The contestants will have to survive by having strong fan bases and not messing up. All 5 remaining contestants are good, so it's going to be tough to lose any of them. I'm just hoping for some really good performances over the next 4 weeks.

I hope the show leaves enough time for the ejected contestant to be able to say some words and do a full sing out (while the show is still on the air).

Can one hide spoilers on this board? And how do you do it?

Dana

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
No, not 17... 18!!! The Tom Jones/Art of Noise version did indeed come out in 1988. The original came out in... drumroll... 1986. That's TWENTY freakin' years ago!

I know I'm old, but sheesh...

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Not a great night. Thought Katherine's first was one of the worse singing in a while - thank god she has the stunning visual package. The second song sliding around on stage did not make it for me - she looks better slinking around the stage with buttons popping off.

Elliott was less than I wished he would be, but should stay on for another week as I think Paris is on the block.

Phil_L

Second Unit
Why did they censor Paris? They bleeped out the part in her second song where a swear is used but I cannot imagine that she actually said it. I assumed she self-censored and the censors had an itchy trigger finger. It was weird. I am sure Idol wouldn't let a contestant sing a song with a swear without counseling them to edit it.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I don't think it is a matter of the censors being trigger happy because I think ever since the famous wardrobe malfunction (not Kat's last week) they have a delay for all live television.

danak

Second Unit
A very mixed night, with everyone but Taylor not doing well on one of their songs but doing good on the other

Elliott
"On Broadway" - It seemed a bit messy in spots, but overall, it was somewhat enjoyable

"Home" - Low-key but very good vocals

Paris
"Kiss" - This didn't entirely work for me, as her energy seemed off

"Be Without You" - Very well done

Chris
"Renegade" - I liked it; well done

"I Dare You" - I didn't completely like the song and his voice almost gave out at the end

Katharine
"Against All Odds" - Not her best performance. Pitchy in quite a few places and too many runs or something, like she couldn't figure out where to go with it. But, she indicated she had problems hearing herself at the beginning so maybe there was a technical problem. Her comment that she always knows when she's off is interesting; does that mean she has perfect pitch?

"Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" - Very enjoyable and fun performance. One of her best and probably the most fun we've seen her

Taylor
"Play That Funky Music" - Count on Taylor to bring the fun (when he's having a good night that is). This was the funnest performance of the night. Very enjoyable, especially his laying on the floor at the end. I actually laughed through the whole performance the first time I watched it.

"Something" - The less spastic side of Taylor. Very well done and very soulful

Best performances of the night: Taylor with "Play That Funky Music" and Katharine with "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"

Best performer of the night - Taylor, as he did great on both his songs

I don't think there were any trainwrecks, but Katharine's "Against All Odds" was probably the weakest performance

Hard to say who goes home, but past trends indicate Paris, as she doesn't seem to have a strong fan base and Idol watchers have noticed that the 2nd person singing on Top 5 night tends to be the one voted off

I bet the producers will pull another trick tomorrow night, sending a couple of people back to the couch and then revealing that they weren't really safe and are the bottom 2. They pulled this trick last year on Anthony and Scott.

Dana

RickGr

Second Unit
My favorite comment by a judge was Randy asking why they have not had a Beatles night. I still think it has to do with the MacLen royalties as tonight it was an Harrison song that Taylor sang.
I would LOVE to for them to have a Beatles night after 5 seasons its about time they do before all of us who remember the beatles are dead.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Elliott:
1st song - picked an okay song built for his vocal range.
2nd song - singing a song that sends out subliminal messages of wanting to go home is a horrible song choice. Plus, it was a boring performance.

Paris:
1st song - she's too young to be singing "Kiss", bad song choice.
2nd song - at least the song was more in her R&B range, though subliminally wearing camoflage patterns would also send signals about fading into the background.

Chris:
1st song - great choice and performance, plus good lightshow to accent such a performance.
2nd song - bad song choice, had to resort to screaming to get through the song.

Katharine:
1st song - subliminally telling people to "look" at her and vote, not listen to her and vote on that part of the package. Horrible vocals for a swishy song that didn't need to be sung.
2nd song - more subliminal begging for votes as she practically spends the entire song on her knees. So-so song choice.

Taylor:
1st song - embarrassing performance, I was laughing at him, not with him.
2nd song - I consider it a cheat to sing that "contemporary" choice of song, and he still has those performance tics that just dissapates any sincerity he's trying to impart to the audience.

I know Chris probably doesn't have the fanbase to pull off an AI win, but I think that who I'll root for for the rest of the way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tuned in for the first time this season tonight. After reading all the press about how this was the "best group of contestants yet," I was decidedly unimpressed.

I wouldn't buy a single or album from any of them. Season 5 :thumbsdown:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Just as I was trying to guess who the next guest artist would be based on the American Idol criteria of either botched plastic surgery (Tom Jones maybe?) or blindness (Jose Feliciano perhaps?), the producers decided not to have a guest artist tonight. I suspect that they were looking for a blind singer disfigured by plastic surgery but couldn’t find one. But if you are blind you probably won’t elect to get disfiguring plastic surgery. I mean, who needs an eye-lift when you’re wearing sunglasses 24-7 anyway?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree that Kat's first song was not very good. At least it wasnt the worst song of the night. That belongs to Paris. Her pre-teen version of Kiss was just creepy. It is like watching a 10 year old cheerleaders that move around all "sexy". It just looks creepy.

The best performance was Kat's second song. It was a good move. Hopefully it will stop some of the comments about her having no personality. All along I thought it was just nerves making her seem like she lacked emotion to some people. I think I was right. She has been getting less nervous and therefore more personable each week.

I really hope Paris goes home. I'll be happy then because I like everyone else and will be happy with whoever else wins.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it was censoring. There were two or three parts during the show where the audio dropped out. I think it was an audio problem, and not censoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks