What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (3 Viewers)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Kat was hot (looking) on her first song, thought I didn't like her rendition at all. I just kept remembering that Phil Collins doesn't really consider himself a singer, and I much prefer him singing it. Kat sounded like an Opera singer singing Against All Odds. Kinda weird actually.

What I enjoy seeing and who I think would do well selling CD's just doesn't match up. Thus, I can totally enjoy Taylor singing "Pay That Funky Music" with no consideration given to whether it's the type of performance showcases the reason he should win this competition.

Likewise for Paris doing Mary J. Blige. I enjoyed the performance, but I don't think she should win this.

Elliott isn't doing much for me. He's just ... there.

Which brings us to Chris. Strange since I don't listen to rock, but if I were picking today, he's who I think should win. I say that even though I haven't kept a single one of his performances. It has more to do with him consistently bringing it week after week.

Failing Chris, I'd go for Taylor. That said, I have no favorite. That left along with Mandisa. Last year, I wanted Bo to win. Another "rocker". Maybe I like rock more than I know.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Too bad Kat didn't have that roll-around cart that Eddie Murphy was riding on in the beginning of "Trading Places" as an injured war vet. She'd been able to move around a little better without killing her knees.

danak

Second Unit
I too had the audio dropout during Paris' song, but as Jon said, the drop out occurred in 1 or 2 other places as well (at the very beginning of the show for one) so it likely wasn't a bit of censoring.

Hanson, if I'm not mistaken, Simon actually said barminess (with the noun being barmy I suppose), not balminess. And yes, apparently it's a British word for eccentric

My own personal opinion for all upcoming eliminations is that given how good everyone is, there will be no shock to the eliminations, only a lot of sadness in losing somebody

In an illustration of how much I love this season, I'm actually seriously considering going to one of the American Idol Live concerts this summer (for the D.C. date in late July most likely).

My remaining favorites? I like everyone but Chris, but I would really like to see Kat and Taylor in the Final 2. And I think I'm actually starting to favor Taylor winning over Kat. The guy just thrills me when he's doing well.

Dana

danak

Second Unit
Tidbits from Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe (http://www.tvweek.com/executiveBriefing.cms):

- Taylor was able to sing a Beatles' song ("Something") because it was written by George Harrison and they were able to get the rights to it
- There will just be a bottom 2 tonight and they will both sing a song before the elimination is announced
- The group sing tonight will be "Together We are One" from the British Commonwealth Games, and there will be a choir
- The theme next week will be Elvis. The remaining four will be flown down to Graceland and meet with Elvis widow Priscilla Presley, who will show Graceland and producer Tommy Motolla, who will take the contestants through the Elvis song catalog. The contestants will each sing 2 Elvis songs.

Something I meant to comment on about Paris before: This young lady is unfailingly polite with the judges. She always seems to say thank you after each critique no matter how negative.

Dana

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Sweet... I have two guys in my final four...I still think Taylor is going to win this...I have said it over and over, but no one is listening...this is NOT a singing contest...Its about the performance. Guess what Taylor is highly entertaining... I like WATCHING him and i would buy his CD...he has it all...

the others except maybe Chris have nothing to offer in the entertainment part

danak

Second Unit

Dan,
I don't disagree with this. The ideal winner should be likeable, with at least a good voice and a good stage presence, but some winners have the great voice but lack the stage presence. Carrie and Ruben had the likeability and the voice but not the stage presence, while Kelly had all 3 criteria and Fantasia, though not likeable to all, had the voice and great stage presence. Bo Bice had a good voice and was likeable and burned up the stage, but lost out to Carrie, who didn't have the stage presence, but was very likeable and had a great voice. Some years, it is just the singing and some years, it's the singing and great stage presence. That's my roundabout way of saying that Taylor does offer the most entertaining package this year

Sad to see Paris go. That going away video was certainly a valentine to her, wasn't it? That was very nice of AI to do that. I'm a little miffed that there was no time for her to say a few words and for us to see her full sing-out. I'm pretty certain we will hear from her again. With a few years of maturity, she's going to be awesome.

Katharine certainly seemed taken aback that she wasn't in the bottom 2. She looked miserable while Elliott was singing, probably thinking it should have been her. And she seemed to indicate that nerves affected her first performance. I hope she can keep her nerves under control from here on out. I bet they are all being stressed to the max right now.

Dana

danak

Second Unit
I have little doubt that all 4 contestants will do well with the Elvis theme this next week. I have a feeling that nerves will probably be a bigger factor than poor song selection, and unfortunately, Elliott seems to have the biggest problem in that area. He is an excellent singer so if he can conquer his nerves and perform well, he just might make it to the final 3. Tuesday will be an interesting night, watching to see who might stumble. I expect Katharine to do really well, especially since she did far better than I expected she would on "Black Horse", though she too has shown a bit of a problem with nerves.

Simon blathered to Good Morning America that he expects Chris and Taylor to be in the final 2, but that Katharine is getting better and better. But he goes on to say that Kat and Elliott are vulnerable this next week. However, he told Extra a couple of weeks ago that Kat was putting herself in danger because she was starting to sound too perfect, so it sounds like he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. He's probably just trying to get the press to whip the viewers into a frenzy so they'll watch

I would almost bet you that the producers probably secretly wish for Elliott and Taylor to be in the Final 2. The 2 are fast friends and Elliott has been considered an underdog all season (Simon is virtually ignoring him when talking to the press and the media seems to be dismissing him as well). Except for the underdog part, the pairing would kind of replicate Season 2 with Clay and Ruben. It certainly would be a kick to have Elliott in the Final 2 considering his underdog status.

The 4 went to Graceland today and here are some pictures of fans and the contestants: http://www.elvis.com/news/full_story.asp?id=1008. Scroll down to the bottom because right now there's only 2 pictures of the contestants.

Dana

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

Absolutely.

Alas, the odds are against it since this contest is decided by the activity of fan bases which mobilize each week. If the decision was based only on singing, I do think Elliott could go all the way. His stage presence and song choices have dogged him however and the other two males seem to have energized fan bases who will stay active, regardless of the individual performance that week. I do think Elliott has a chance to get into the top three and a strong showing may be enough next Tuesday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been on vacation all this past week so I just
got to watch IDOL last night.

You know, if this were a singing contest I think that
the winner has already been voted off. I always felt
that Mandisa was the best of the bunch, but poor song
choice let to her demise.

Right now, there's really no great singer in the
bunch. I think Katherine is probably the best
but she'll be voted off shortly.

It's a popularity contest in the end, and I think that
Taylor puts on the best display almost weekly.
People love watching him. I know I do.

Picking a winner at this point? Well, that's tough. It
could come down to Taylor and Chris
with Taylor possibly winning -only- because past
history has shown that rockers aren't favored. Still, I
think Chris is very talented and could defy the odds.

You guys miss Gedeon? Heck, I think you should
bring back the Copacabana dude!

danak

Second Unit
There's a very interesting website where some music expert, among other things, critiques the various Idol performances from a music expert's point of view (http://www.timminsyouthsingers.com/MusicReviews.ivnu). Though she (I believe it's a she) is usually pretty positive, she seems to be very honest addressing weaknesses. I certainly don't fully understand everything she says, but it's fascinating reading. I highly recommend checking it out.

For those who are interested, Taylor Hicks' self-produced CD "Under the Radar" (2nd of 2 that he self-produced) can be purchased from Laser's Edge (in Alabama). You can find it at http://www.lasersedgecd.com/hicks_taylor.html. I just bought it so I can't vouch for it at the moment, but I've seen raves from Hicks' fans who bought it. I'm surprised Idol producers allow it to be sold but perhaps it would be considered some sort of restraint of trade if they blocked the sale of it.

I've read several of Paris' interviews and she comes across as supremely confident and very sure of herself. Ace's interviews made him come across as full of himself and clueless, but with Paris, I just find it endearing, oddly enough. Maybe it's because she's much more talented than Ace.

Ron,
Mandisa also was getting pretty screechy from Top 12 on (and had some problems with that even in the semifinals) and she had problems with her lower register. I think she, like others before her, peaked in the semifinals and then went downhill in the finals (Anwar Robinson anyone?). I have a feeling she would have screeched her way through her Queen number as well.

Of the remaining 4, I think Elliott is the one most likely to go next, unless one or more of the others falters badly this next week. I think Katharine has a good shot at winning, as I think she's been picking up votes lately and probably has been getting a lot of text votes. Whatever happens the next 3 weeks, I think she's going to do fine, as she seems the best suited of the 4 to do acting roles and other things besides music. Barbra Streisand is a role model for her and I think she wants to emulate her in all the variety of things she's done.

Dana

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'll be very surprised if Elliott isn't the next to go. He can sing, but the other three have such strong images and personalities -- I don't think he can compete with that in this milieu.

danak

Second Unit
The song choices have been announced in the media:

Elliott:
Trouble and If I Can Dream - I can't see Elliott doing Trouble

Chris:
A Little Less Conversation and Suspicious Minds

Taylor:
In the Ghetto and Jailhouse Rock

Katharine
Hound Dog/All Shook Up and Can't Help Falling in Love

Should be an interesting night

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks