What's new

American Idol Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug

Jed, True dat! :D For those industry "insiders" :rolleyes:to make the assertions you quoted in the face of a sure bet fortune being made from the instant audience factor AI affords just baffles the mind. Maybe the "labels" they represent aren't all that...

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Let's get real a moment....

Clive Davis was gonna talk up whomever made it to the top three. It has nothing to do with his ability to pick a winner out of a crowd, but he is all about making money for his label. His AI deal gets him a great deal on an artst with a built-in fan club and more exposure than any other singer on the planet. This is bfore they cut one track. His comments were probably already thought out before a note was sung last night and based onthe reheasals (no hit on Clive, but this guy would have ben prepared).

I do not doubt Clive Davis' position as a publishing icon, but he is in a no lose sitation here and the work is done for him finding that next star.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I was just commenting on the fact that our two HTF resident insiders wouldn't even sign him with his AI fame, while Clive Davis seemed to believe he was the star of the group, or at least the only one he mentioned wanting to do a record with.

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator

He has no bloody choice. They're already signed to him. You think he's going to say they suck? Get real.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
My point is he singled Bo out. If you think he is so bad, why does Clive think he is the best of the three? Maybe they all suck, but you gave the impression that Bo was the most un-recordable of the bunch.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Referring to Bo as a "one-trick pony" in comparing his rock style to the dime-a-dozen pop of Vonzell and country-pop of Carrie is hysterical!

Bren_Chris

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think Clive Davis is interested in music per se; he's interested in business and manufacturing a saleable product, and anything he said on TV last night was in the interest of that business. What else would he say? "Sorry, you young cats are all mediocre. I'd have to load up half the tracks with duets just to break even."

(Like Daryl Hall would have said to Scott, "How can you disgrace my song like that?")

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

Okay Ken, I'll bite. Who is #12? Mikalah?

And for the music insiders, would your opinion of Bo change if he was fronting a good band?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Bo's voice in his a cappella song sounded a bit like Darius Rucker to me. I think he has a very good voice and would do well on an album. I even enjoyed his rendition of Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.

I also think Carrie has a better voice than Vonzell although country or pop-country is not my taste in music. Vonzell's voice is a little thin to me and I don't think she is as good as LaToya London from last season. Vonzell really isn't distinctive to me. I could listen to a local gospel choir and hear women with voices as good or better than her.

For me, the stage presence doesn't matter much at all. I'm not going to see any of them in concert. I strictly buy albums for the music and voice I hear on the radio, not how they move around on stage. The whole music video thing does nothing for me.

Then again I'm in my 40's and I'm not the target audience AI is trying to reach. I never vote so my opinion really doesn't matter.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug

Not at all. He's got a great rock voice, and will make the record label a ton of money.

EDIT: With or without a band, Bo's not going away any time soon.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I've never watched the show on a regular basis but caught some of it last night. I thought Bo was the best although he does need a good haircut. What is he thinking with that hair? Great looking face but get rid of the hair.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
If you are implying that Davis is incapable of picking a winner, then perhaps you should think again. When Clive Davis became president of CBS Records in 1967, one of his first official acts was to sign Big Brother and the Holding Company featuring Janis Joplin and Santana to the label. Over the years, he added the likes of Chicago, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and many more to the CBS roster. He had similar success over at Arista, signing diverse acts like Barry Manilow, Patti Smith, Whitney Houston and even Brooks & Dunn. I am not a huge Clive Davis booster or anything, but there is no denying the fact that he has had a major hand in shaping the face of popular music for close to forty years now. IMO, the guy knows his stuff...

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator
Clive is one of the very best of all time but he has no choice in this matter. The winner is signed to him so of course he's got to rave even about the horrible 3 that are left.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have to agree with you there. Pretty slim pickings this go-round... Of the remaining three, I feel Bo has the best shot at any kind of meaningful recording career. As always, YMMV.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

No at all. If you read my quote you posted as well as the original post, I gave him his props. I am very familiar with his legacy and believe he is deserving of the iconic stature he has earned. My point was that stature was aquired through good business decisions as well as an ear for talent.

At this stage of AI however, he is in pure business mode and is guaranteed a mega exposed singer who will sell at least one money maker. I submit that Clive will have earned his keep before a winner is picked and either of them will make him money out the gate.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
When i saw/heard Bo do the acapella song i thought he reminded me of Travis Tritt....he and Bo should get together and do a duet or something.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Gotta say I was really impressed with Bo's rendition of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me". When it was announced, I was thinking it might be a train wreck, especially considering George Michael's excellent version being the most recent one to compare to, but surprisingly Bo pulled it off. And that a capella thing was really gutsy.

Either Bo or Carrie will win this, sorry "Vonzie" you're leaving tonight. Anyone else can't stand that nickname? Does she really go by that back home, or did Seacrest coin it himself?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks